Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2004 Lemon List

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-04, 09:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Subaru's AWD systems are typically bulletproof, but the Impreza's high complaint ratio probably reflects not only body rattles but also the rate of clutch and transmission problems on the WRX and Sti. It is no secret that Subaru has done a lot of both warranty and non-warranty work on them, stemming from 3 main sources....inability of the components to handle the torque, hard and aggressive driving, and downright abuse on drag strips.
Subaru has extensively re-worked the 2004-2005 units to beef up the torque capacity.
Some of these problems have also been seen with the Mitsubishi Evos....not surprising.
Old 11-02-04, 09:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

It's also interesting that no Mercedes C-Class products are on that list. They have become notorious POS'es lately...especially in hardware and electronics.
Old 11-02-04, 10:37 AM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm suprised Honda made the list twice!

I own a 97 Accord and it's bullet proff. Knock on wood.
Old 11-02-04, 11:27 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally posted by CarlssonLS400
yeah im surprised no MB either...

moms friend gave back her ML cuz it was a total lemon
her other friend had her CL500 die while she was driving down a hill
That's scary

Thanks reggiek for the lemonmb.com
Old 11-02-04, 03:32 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default lemons

Originally posted by GS3Tek
That's scary

Thanks reggiek for the lemonmb.com

You're welcome. I checked it again the other day and almost cried. As a car lover, I feel bad those people bought what they thought was their dream car to end up soooo disappointed. You know what's worse, those people were not getting good service from their dealerships.
Old 11-02-04, 04:18 PM
LexFather

Default Re: 2004 Lemon List

Originally posted by SexySC
MODEL COMPLAINT INDEX RATIO

Subaru Impreza 27,952
Infiniti I35 21,372
Audi A4 18,943
Ford Escape 14,441
Ford Focus 13,346
Acura RSX 11,657
Pontiac Aztek 11,537
Ford Excursion 10,277
Mitsubishi Eclipse 9,691
Jeep Liberty 9,450
Chevrolet Corvette 9,214
Chevrolet Blazer 7,938
Suzuki Grand Vitara 7,385
Volkswagen Passat 6,687
Honda Insight 6,496
Volkswagen Jetta 6,152
Acura TL 6,058
Suzuki Vitara 5,913
Land Rover Freelander 5,589
Audi A6 5,571
Dodge Caravan 5,561
Jeep Grand Cherokee 5,235
Honda S2000 5,162
GMC Yukon 5,094
Dodge Neon 5,045

Link HERE
And people say I make up the fact the TL is built worse than a ballot box in Florida. Well here is more proof that for a 35k car, Japanese badged, luxury badged, it is a quality wreck. What the hell is the point of owning a Japanese luxury car that has worse quality than a Chevy? I am shocked the I35 is there. I guess that is ANOTHER reason they discontinued it.

So again, facts:
TL built like a 4 year old wet and soiled diaper.
I-35 discontinued
Facts. Face them.

Old 11-02-04, 04:21 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111oneone111one1

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
And people say I make up the fact the TL is built worse than a ballot box in Florida. Well here is more proof that for a 35k car, Japanese badged, luxury badged, it is a quality wreck. What the hell is the point of owning a Japanese luxury car that has worse quality than a Chevy? I am shocked the I35 is there. I guess that is ANOTHER reason they discontinued it.

So again, facts:
TL built like a 4 year old wet and soiled diaper.
I-35 discontinued
Facts. Face them.
Quote of the Q4 2004.

Old 11-02-04, 05:16 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

I knew 1sick couldn't resist
Old 11-02-04, 06:18 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by SexySC
I knew 1sick couldn't resist
1st thanks to SexySC for keeping us informed on what cars/SUVs NOT to buy. 2nd, notice no Toyotas and sure as hell no Lexus. For all the people babbling about they are not fun to drive, etc, 99.9% of owners don't remotely drive their cars how they should, from GT-3s to Hummer H2s. So really that arguement is damn near moot.
3rd, what 99.9% of people DO is work and drive to work. And drive to the store. And pick their kids up. And maybe leisurely speed and race every once in a blue moon. They want their car to be reliable. ESPECIALLY if you dump some chedder into your car. ESPECIALLY if you bought a luxury badged car. Otherwise they would look at reliablity ratings, save some money, and get a new Hyandia Sonata for 3k less than a "comparably equipped Accord or Camry" (damn I sound like the commercial)

Since the TL has been built in America, it has been a quality disaster. Period. Honda slapped a badge an Acura badge on there when the damn car is built by my long lost cousin Ralph, slapped some techno goodies half these people don't know how to use anyway and these people honestly think we are the idiots for not buying the car since it's such a "value".

"Value" is buying a 50k car comparably equipped with a 55k car. The cars have the same basic features and architecture.
"Value" is not buying a 35k car built off a 15k car with more R&D spent on getting your damn cell phone to work with the car then some quality leather where u sit. Thjat is called Marshalls/T.J Maxx. Buying a "irregular" item.

The FUNNIEST thing is Lexus took the hint. They did not try to punish us with a FWD sports sedan with the ES. They brought over the IS. Infiniti finally took this hint, and made the outstanding G35 instead of the lame solid axle beam I35t. Acura wants US to honestly believe that we are stupid for buying RWD and their product is better.

They last gen TL had a damn tranny re-call. What does Acura do? Do they make sure this does not happen again? No. They invest money to make sure the car is outsourced with a high-end audio system instead of fixing the tranny. So what happens? The 04 Tl is included on the re-call tranny list.

If ya'll want comments on some other cars, I am in the mood tonight.....

Old 11-02-04, 07:32 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st thanks to SexySC for keeping us informed on what cars/SUVs NOT to buy. 2nd, notice no Toyotas and sure as hell no Lexus. For all the people babbling about they are not fun to drive, etc, 99.9% of owners don't remotely drive their cars how they should, from GT-3s to Hummer H2s. So really that arguement is damn near moot.
3rd, what 99.9% of people DO is work and drive to work. And drive to the store. And pick their kids up. And maybe leisurely speed and race every once in a blue moon. They want their car to be reliable. ESPECIALLY if you dump some chedder into your car. ESPECIALLY if you bought a luxury badged car. Otherwise they would look at reliablity ratings, save some money, and get a new Hyandia Sonata for 3k less than a "comparably equipped Accord or Camry" (damn I sound like the commercial)

Since the TL has been built in America, it has been a quality disaster. Period. Honda slapped a badge an Acura badge on there when the damn car is built by my long lost cousin Ralph, slapped some techno goodies half these people don't know how to use anyway and these people honestly think we are the idiots for not buying the car since it's such a "value".

"Value" is buying a 50k car comparably equipped with a 55k car. The cars have the same basic features and architecture.
"Value" is not buying a 35k car built off a 15k car with more R&D spent on getting your damn cell phone to work with the car then some quality leather where u sit. Thjat is called Marshalls/T.J Maxx. Buying a "irregular" item.

The FUNNIEST thing is Lexus took the hint. They did not try to punish us with a FWD sports sedan with the ES. They brought over the IS. Infiniti finally took this hint, and made the outstanding G35 instead of the lame solid axle beam I35t. Acura wants US to honestly believe that we are stupid for buying RWD and their product is better.

They last gen TL had a damn tranny re-call. What does Acura do? Do they make sure this does not happen again? No. They invest money to make sure the car is outsourced with a high-end audio system instead of fixing the tranny. So what happens? The 04 Tl is included on the re-call tranny list.

Mike, you're a genius.

Do it!!
Old 11-02-04, 08:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i can't disagree at all about what you said man, it's very well put, and i don't see anyone able to argue with what you said at all. but personally, i am kinda surprised about the number, thats not a lot for the tl at all considering how many stupid trannies we have seen on acura boards. by comparison i wonder wtf is wrong with the rsx and s2k, i never heard much wrong about those cars.

and man, what a move on acura board dude! that's brave!
Old 11-03-04, 02:19 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Mike ... no Nissans (sans the I35)

Of course, this is a 2004 list ...

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Quest, Titan, Armada, QX56 and Maxima all on that list for 2005.

M.

Last edited by whipimpin; 11-03-04 at 02:20 AM.
Old 11-05-04, 02:56 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

i honestly think this list is a bit of B.S.... just my opinion... JD power's rankings are VERY different and theyre actually respected.
Old 11-07-04, 12:53 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SoCalSC4

A friend of mine had his 745i "bought back" under the Lemon Law... perhaps BMW/Mercedes customers (a friend of mine is a Mercedes Master Tech, I hear ALL the great stories about warranty work on these rigs... he admits the new E-Class is a total turd!) are ashamed to admit a questionable purchase?
[/QUOTE

Talking to mechanics AT the dealership is always the best source of info in my opinion. I remember back in 1996 I was with my dad returning his Mazda Millenia S from Lease and was drooling over all the RX7's in the repair bays on lifts. The mechanic told me don't EVER buy one of those they are always breaking.

Too bad they are such nice looking cars. I can't believe they still sell for over $10,000 used as their turbos, engines, early paint, and early interiors are peeling/failing, what crap boxes!
Old 11-07-04, 05:14 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

the FD is one of the most unreliable cars you can buy... but they are amazing cars.... 2800 lb racecar on the streets. with perfect weight distribution... can smoke almost anything in the twisties, great drift car, and can be made into a monster on the dragstrip. IMO never ever buy one as a daily driver, but if you buy one as just a track car? theyre awesome!

Quick Reply: 2004 Lemon List