Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How do you guys feel when you see..

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-04, 07:41 PM
MB1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you guys feel when you see..

Kepping your car stock gets boring after a while then we turn to modifying our rides, to add special touches to them, to keep them a bit different from the rest of the mix. This process can be long and tiresome, and can cost a fortune in parts, such as wheels and kits and stuff. But how do you guys react when even a stock 10yr ferrari pulls up at the lights next to you? I look in awe at any of these hi end sports cars, and sometimes feel 'stuff it you cant compete with that' so whats the point to adding more money to my ride. It just makes all your mods seem meaningless.

what are you thoughts

Last edited by MB1; 11-03-04 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-03-04, 07:46 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Think of it this way - even if you had the really nice high end Ferrari - you'd probably still mod it. Add some wheels, and exhaust, get some custom interior work done.

Modding is a way to represent who you are through your ride. Everybody's car is unique, and that's what matters. It's what makes your car, YOUR car.

Btw, Welcome to ClubLexus, MB1!

Last edited by Davtown; 11-03-04 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-03-04, 08:06 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

yeah, i feel like that sometimes... but considering you spent probably the same amount of money on your cars aftermarket parts, as you would have if you would have saved it and bought an upper crust car. But then you would have any fun. So whats the point?
Old 11-03-04, 08:26 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

i think a ferrari is a scaled down version of... god. i wouldn't want to mod a ferrari and decrease its value.
Old 11-03-04, 08:47 PM
The_Hitman
Lexus Champion

I kind of see it as anyone (well, anyone with alot of money) can buy a ferrari and drive it around, but it takes something special to modify a car and make it look good, and personalize it. Yeah, a ferrari looks great, but a tastefully modded lexus is honestly more appealing, especially if the driver did much of the work himself. I can appreciate the hard work put into modifying and customizing a car more than I can appreciate some guy buying a ferrari.
Old 11-03-04, 08:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: How do you guys feel when you see..

Originally posted by MB1
Kepping your car stock gets boring after a while then we turn to modifying our rides, to add special touches to them, to keep them a bit different from the rest of the mix. This process can be long and tiresome, and can cost a fortune in parts, such as wheels and kits and stuff. But how do you guys react when even a stock 10yr ferrari pulls up at the lights next to you? I look in awe at any of these hi end sports cars, and sometimes feel 'stuff it you cant compete with that' so whats the point to adding more money to my ride. It just makes all your mods seem meaningless.

what are you thoughts
well that's our problems right? i started it out 2 yrs ago and i can't stop anymore. it sux
Old 11-03-04, 10:12 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by FLiP Sp33d
i think a ferrari is a scaled down version of... god. i wouldn't want to mod a ferrari and decrease its value.
You can always put the stock parts back on when you sell it Anyway, I think driving your Ferrari has a bigger impact on decreased value than mods. Just look at what a Ferrari with 3000 miles sells for vs a comparable one with 20K miles. The price gap is fairly large. Aside from collectors, I bet a buyer would rather buy a Ferrari 355 with a Tubi exhaust that has under 10K miles than the same all stock with 35K miles. IMHO the only true way to keep the value up on a Ferrari is not to drive it and keep the miles very low.
Old 11-03-04, 10:24 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

Originally posted by The_Hitman
I kind of see it as anyone (well, anyone with alot of money) can buy a ferrari and drive it around, but it takes something special to modify a car and make it look good, and personalize it. Yeah, a ferrari looks great, but a tastefully modded lexus is honestly more appealing, especially if the driver did much of the work himself. I can appreciate the hard work put into modifying and customizing a car more than I can appreciate some guy buying a ferrari.
i dont know about you guys.. but to me, this seems like the same argument as why do people buy econobox hondas and pump money into them when you can go out and buy a nice car. just because its now a ferrari and a lexus... the premise of the argument is still the same... so why ridicule "ricers"?
Old 11-04-04, 12:13 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am modding anything unless it is Aston Martin.
When I see such cars only see them as a good race but not much else.
Old 11-04-04, 12:33 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Speaking of ones desire to apply some identity to their car...certainly. Even down to just hanging an air freshener on the rear view of a license plate frame.

In the "performance" area for me, there isn't anything I can do to improve upon the XX...I can however do things to make it forgiving for my poor technique. Michael Schumacher (SP) in a stock LS430 would still put in a better lap time even if mine had suspenion, wheel/tire, turbo... In the meantime, the car is more enjoyable for me to drive and that is what matters. Mod-on.

Last edited by RA40; 11-04-04 at 12:36 AM.
Old 11-04-04, 04:11 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How do I feel

First, I don't feel my car takes a back seat to any car. Yes I love Ferrari's, especially the 557 Maranello. Yes, I'd rather have the 557 or any Ferrari but.....my car has some advantages on those. I can drive it all day with no overheat. I can maintain it easily. I can mod the heck out of it.

Second, I'll mod any car I own. Hopefully, I'll have a Ferrari one day. It's getting wheels and a stereo upgrade at the least.

Last, don't look at another car or anything like it's so much better. Exotics are over priced. In the end they are basically an engine, tires, body and seats. We're all blessed. We spend thousands on cars. We eat what we want. We go where we want, we wear what we want......no need to feel beneath anything. I put on my pants the same as the next guy. My car drinks the same petrol as the next car.
Old 11-04-04, 06:24 PM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Default Re: How do you guys feel when you see..

Originally posted by MB1

what are you thoughts
Just imagine how the Ferrari guy feels when a turbo GS pulls away from him
I hate OVER PRICED european cars
Old 11-05-04, 07:11 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Modifying a car is an addiction... like for me, any car that I own I will have to modify it... no matter how much money I pour into it... it's all about the love for cars. Some people can go out and buy a nice (for example) Merc E55 or something and not touch it... for me though, I like to have my own personal touches to the car.
Old 11-05-04, 07:14 PM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Soarer_25GTT
Modifying a car is an addiction... like for me, any car that I own I will have to modify it... no matter how much money I pour into it... it's all about the love for cars. Some people can go out and buy a nice (for example) Merc E55 or something and not touch it... for me though, I like to have my own personal touches to the car.
AMEN