Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My thoughts on the BMW M3 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-04, 12:23 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
that's what I don't get about BMWs. They got a bunch of technological stuff in the cars, but that doesn't represent luxury. The designs are not classy, the quality is usually sub-par (still remember testdriving 528i with radio buttons that fell off), and the material is barely comparable with Toyotas. You gotta get to 50k+, such as 545s up and 7 series to get all the actual luxury stuff. So how does BMW qualify for luxury cars? It's more like a performance-oriented brand.

If a bunch of wood means luxury, then a Cefiro (I35) in Taiwan has more wood than South America, and hence represent luxury?

ok TLW lemme hand u back the thread
We are all in agreeance in regards to the bland BMW interiors - Heck my 2003 BMW 330i, still has the awkward Push Button Navigation (No Touch Screen) and my Harmon Kardon Audio System is really not that good (I hear BMW'S Logic 7 Audio Systems is very good, but you are right, can only be found in the new 5 & 7 series at this time).

However I have to say again, drive the BMW and this bland interior issue will really not be such an issue anymore, since you will have so much fun just driving that nothing else really matters.

Maybe this is also why BMW owners somehow substantiate or exist with BMW quality issues, because the fun factor of driving these vehicles seems to make us accept that it's all part of owning a BMW (which is still not right).
Old 11-08-04, 12:36 AM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by lexguynj
I don't have to tell you this, since with you drive a MB S430 and once you go German it's tough to go back to anything else.
Im using this car as my daily driver until the '06 GS430 comes out. Then I'll use the GS as my Daily driver, S for other occasions.
Old 11-08-04, 12:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

JAC JZS, believe in BMW again!

I have a friend that has a 545i sport and as much controversy & debate in regards to the new design of the 5 series, my god this car is a monster derived from the pursuit of providing pure driving exhiliration. Everything about this vehicle is tweaked for performance and even the new look is growing on me (it helps that the rims and tires are nice and fat as well!).

I don't have to tell you this, since with you drive a MB S430 and once you go German it's tough to go back to anything else.
i agree. the look of the new 5 is horrible to say the least imho, but once you are in the car, the car is amazing. specially the 545, it's just incredible

after i drove that car, i asked myself what the new m5 would be like...
Old 11-08-04, 12:45 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by JAC JZS
Im using this car as my daily driver until the '06 GS430 comes out. Then I'll use the GS as my Daily driver, S for other occasions.
Good choice (I am a fan of the new redesign), but hold out as long as you can, since a new Lexus V8 is bound to be right around the corner (maybe for the 2007 MY?) and I would hate to have a 2006 GS430 when a year later or sooner a new GS470 or GS500 (Speculation of course) is available.

I remember when I got my 2001 GS430 and the previous year it was a GS400. Although the changes were minor and the engine tweaked a little, the GS400 even now just seems very outdated.

I have very little patience, so it's always tough for me to hold out for the latest and greatest (I have found that no matter what you do, you will never catch up, but just come close to doing so).
Old 11-08-04, 12:57 AM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have very little patience, so it's always tough for me to hold out for the latest and greatest (I have found that no matter what you do, you will never catch up, but just come close to doing so).
Thats a true story.
Old 11-08-04, 01:07 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Came THAT CLOSE to selling the GS for an M3. Glad I did not. Too many things I did not care for on the car after some serious homework which I have listed in another thread. Cost way too much to get any real horsepower out of them. I do like the style of the convertible even if it is slow. Next year will be interesting with new offerings from Lexus and BMW. Choices. Choices.
Old 11-08-04, 03:46 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

please continue to discuss

i like hearing the different opnioins

didnt know i could have turned off the sideview mirror ...i would have done so right away
Old 11-08-04, 04:06 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

This is a little off-topic - but in response to a few of the posts I read.

I've gradually warmed to BMW's new design trend.

I still think it's hideous - but there's such a great car hiding under the skin of that new 5-series (particularly the 545i as somebody mentioned already) that it demands my respect.

The seven series looks good - it's certainly not the previous generation - but I think it took more of a dramatic evolutionary design than a complete design fist like some people think it did. If the engineering were better - this would be the only car I'd consider at its price-point.

The new 3-series when it debuts will also look good. Again, not the last generation - but certainly an evolutionary trend noticable from the outset that I think will keep this car successful. And, like the new 5-series - it promises to be even more of a car than it predecessor.

So I'm optimistic when it comes to BMW and expect only improvement from them. They know how competitive the market is - and they'll never easily settle for second place.

M.

Last edited by whipimpin; 11-08-04 at 04:09 AM.