Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Insurance Question for Those Who Mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-04, 07:31 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Insurance Question for Those Who Mod

This thought occured to me as I was reading about the unfortunate experience of a Member who had his car vandalized. Over the past 20 years I've had 4 experiences with vandalism of my automobiles. Since none of those occurrences involved custom or after-market items on the vehicles, I am curious to know whether insurance carriers accept liability for non-stock or non-essential components where there are no riders on the policies specifying for such. By analogy for example, if you own your home, your homeowner's policy may not cover theft or damage to expensive clothing, jewelry, electronics, etc. without specifically reserving (and paying an additional premium) for such coverage. My question, therefore, to those of you who spend enormous amounts of capital resources to modify and customize your vehicles - how do you insure/assure that your investment in your vehicles are completely protected? Do insurance companies cover so-called after-market modifications? Do any of you have experiences to share where you have made loss claims with insurance companies for "non-stock", custom items?

Thanks!
Old 11-08-04, 08:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

for me i have to get extra insurance for the aftermarket parts. i pay about 100 bucks more for every 6 months, not bad at all
Old 11-08-04, 09:00 AM
ballin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default insurrance coverage

I believe coverage are dependent on insurance comapanies because they have different rules/laws. I personally have extended coverage based on the amount it would cost retail plus labor to replace the items. That extra coverage also raised my premiums. I also save all of my recepts for every little thing that have been done to the car including labor costs. All the items that I dont have recepts, I take pictures of. In the pictures I include the model #, and serial #.
If your own insurance dont cover the items that was damaged or stolen. You could do what I had to do on previous insurance. Tell your agent that your going to get a Lawyer, and usually they give in.