Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

at last a ticket!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-04, 09:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hahah this one is cool man, i love it when he said he respects teh car you drive

i hope we have nicer cops like that here in cali
Old 11-09-04, 12:33 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the cop gives you a break by writing you up for an 80 mph per hour ticket as opposed to jailing you and taking your license away, but yet you feel it's necessary to plead not guilty and challenge it? And you admit it too. Talk about being ungrateful.
Old 11-09-04, 05:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Re: at last a ticket!

Originally posted by jonathancl

(Oh...and for the responsible out there aching to chastise me, I am driving more appropriately now.)
We're not going to chastise you. You've already learned for yourself....that's what is most important.
Old 11-09-04, 05:36 AM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

once I passed a bike cop doing 90mph driving rather recklessly through traffic (younger yrs), he just sat there on the shoulder and stared at me as I got on the brakes hard. Guess he didn't get a reading.

good story
Old 11-09-04, 05:37 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by verylost
So the cop gives you a break by writing you up for an 80 mph per hour ticket as opposed to jailing you and taking your license away, but yet you feel it's necessary to plead not guilty and challenge it? And you admit it too. Talk about being ungrateful.
First off he wouldnt be doing the cop a favor by pleading not guilty, secondly he has a right to plead whatever he wants. For 200-300 dollars I'd plead not guilty too and hope the cop doesnt show my self. He isnt talking about getting up on the stand and lying under oath, he is simply pleading not guilty. Thats the way the legal system works, the cop may not show, the prosecutor may take a plea bargain, the citation may be defective, the method of gaging speed may have been off. A not guilty plea is the first step in exercising any of these defenses/tactics.

There are plenty of reasons to plead not guilty besides not having commited the offense. thats the way our system works

I guess you pay your full tax liabillity and dont take advantage of any of the loopoles or exemptions. Come on lets be for real

Last edited by morris; 11-09-04 at 05:38 AM.
Old 11-09-04, 05:37 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The cop actually let you talk? They're usually afraid of any argument you might give them and talk over you or walk away. This pisses me off so much. I think we have the right to perhaps tell them the situation.
Old 11-09-04, 05:43 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by morris
First off he wouldnt be doing the cop a favor by pleading not guilty, secondly he has a right to plead whatever he wants. For 200-300 dollars I'd plead not guilty too and hope the cop doesnt show my self. He isnt talking about getting up on the stand and lying under oath, he is simply pleading not guilty. Thats the way the legal system works, the cop may not show, the prosecutor may take a plea bargain, the citation may be defective, the method of gaging speed may have been off. A not guilty plea is the first step in exercising any of these defenses/tactics.

There are plenty of reasons to plead not guilty besides not having commited the offense. thats the way our system works

I guess you pay your full tax liabillity and dont take advantage of any of the loopoles or exemptions. Come on lets be for real
I am not really debating how the legal system works. This is simply an issue of being "man" enough to accept your punishment.

So I guess the saying is true ... it only matters if its right or wrong as long as you don't get caught.
Old 11-09-04, 05:53 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Wink

I am not really debating how the legal system works. This is simply an issue of being "man" enough to accept your punishment.

So I guess the saying is true ... it only matters if its right or wrong as long as you don't get caught.
No I dont agree, if we were talking about getting up on the stand and saying I didnt do it, I would agree with you. But you have to factor in how the legal system works, it is a legal issue. We have built in to our system ways of minimizing the penalty, in order to take advantage of these ways you have to plead not guilty. NOt guilty in a legal sense does neccesarrilly not mean I did not do it.

BUt I see what you are saying we'll just disagree on this one.
Old 11-09-04, 07:34 AM
beauphus
Pole Position

Originally posted by Stage3
people somtimes forget that a V1 can only do so much. Ive learned that one the hard way...
this is true. i was driving a Audi S8 a couple years ago and got pinched for 100 in a 75. Needless to say the Valentine didnt go off. the cop was headed in the opposite direction so he didnt gauge me with his speedo...it doesnt ALWAYS work
Old 11-09-04, 07:44 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Here in GA my V1 is almost worthless seems all these rich country boys have laser and the V1 doesnt do much when it comes to laser. In fact I dont think I have ever detected laser from someone else getting hit, only when they lite me up.
Old 11-09-04, 10:23 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I have problems receiving a speed ticket from a cop who comes up from behind and tells me I am driving unsafely at 80. I can say certainty that he wasn't doing just 85 or 90. I can also say with certainty that when he gets off duty, he not driving 65.
Old 11-09-04, 10:30 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ntran18
Personally, I have problems receiving a speed ticket from a cop who comes up from behind and tells me I am driving unsafely at 80. I can say certainty that he wasn't doing just 85 or 90. I can also say with certainty that when he gets off duty, he not driving 65.
It's a good thing he got a ticket for speeding rather than reckless driving. Speeding is speeding. Either you go faster, equal, or slower than the speeding limit. There's no other way to look at it.

If you have a problem with the speed limit, take it up with your local congressmen, senator, etc. Don't blame the cop. He's just there to enforce the law.

Last edited by verylost; 11-09-04 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-09-04, 11:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by ntran18
agree, most cops they speed bad anyway. i dont' care if they haev any "training", it's still dangerous either way how they put it. never signals, high speed, and they often have their cell phones on too
Old 11-09-04, 11:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

It's a good thing he got a ticket for speeding rather than reckless driving. Speeding is speeding. Either you go faster, equal, or slower than the speeding limit. There's no other way to look at it.

If you have a problem with the speed limit, take it up with your local congressmen, senator, etc. Don't blame the cop. He's just there to enforce the law.
i don't thikn he was trying to say speeding is ok. but same thing, why are they allowed to speed and drive recklessly sometimes then? and when they are off duty, they can speed all they want. if they are caught, most of the time they show their badge and they get away (i know this is true)
Old 11-09-04, 12:34 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by rominl
i don't thikn he was trying to say speeding is ok. but same thing, why are they allowed to speed and drive recklessly sometimes then? and when they are off duty, they can speed all they want. if they are caught, most of the time they show their badge and they get away (i know this is true)
Because part of the system is corrupt. However, that doesn't give us the right to break the law either. If you do see a police officer breaking the law, report him. If nothing happens, keep trying until it gets resolved.

You also need to remember that cops have a very special and important job. They are there to protect us. They are there to be shot at by criminals. On any given day, they might not come home to their families. Do you remember the news footage of 9/11? Which way were the police running? Towards or away from the towers?

Don't you think that the risk they take at work gives them some leeway when it comes to the law? This may be just my opinion, but I believe those who are police officers, firefighters, and military servicemen deserve way more leniency when it comes to common law.

Is possible death included in your job description?

Last edited by verylost; 11-09-04 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: at last a ticket!