Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

at last a ticket!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-04, 01:50 PM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
i don't thikn he was trying to say speeding is ok. but same thing, why are they allowed to speed and drive recklessly sometimes then? and when they are off duty, they can speed all they want. if they are caught, most of the time they show their badge and they get away (i know this is true)
Well this could be looked at differently, think about anyone in their business (maybe not the best examples, but you get the idea)

Accountants have the ins/outs when it comes to taxes
Dr's know where to get the best healthcare at minimal cost with great service
Home builders get to build their homes cheaper with better materials
People who work at arena's usually get the best tickets to concerts/shows (I have a great contact at the Office Depot Center here where the NHL Panthers play (or used to play..LOL!) and where concerts are held. )

Cops get to get themselves out of tickets and can speed all they want

It's all part of the territory. However one can game the system, they will. Not that it is right or wrong, it is reality.
Old 11-09-04, 02:00 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by WhiteTiger
Well this could be looked at differently, think about anyone in their business (maybe not the best examples, but you get the idea)

People who work at arena's usually get the best tickets to concerts/shows (I have a great contact at the Office Depot Center here where the NHL Panthers play (or used to play..LOL!) and where concerts are held. )

It's all part of the territory. However one can game the system, they will. Not that it is right or wrong, it is reality.
That actually makes complete sense

My parents are insurance brokers, so when I first got my car, I didn't even have to wait for my evidence of insurance, my dad just printed it out and handed it to me
Old 11-09-04, 02:02 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by verylost
. Do you remember the news footage of 9/11? Which way were the police running? Towards or away from the towers?

i think thats a little messed up

i think your more help to people if you are alive

the people that did run there to save lives might have lost them when the towers did fall

what help were they then ?

if you really think about it all hell is breaking loose and you have no idea whats going on

where would you be running ....Towards or away from the towers?
Old 11-09-04, 04:25 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by T.L.W.
i think thats a little messed up

i think your more help to people if you are alive

the people that did run there to save lives might have lost them when the towers did fall

what help were they then ?

if you really think about it all hell is breaking loose and you have no idea whats going on

where would you be running ....Towards or away from the towers?
I wasn't clear in my example but I meant that the police were running towards the buildings in order to save people. And at the time, they had no idea there would be a 2nd plane. However, instinct or duty told them to run towards the buildings to help, while common sense should have told them to start running towards Florida. I shouldn't have used this example. This issue is still too sensitive but it's a prime example of police bravery. Instead, I should have described the time I was in a shooting while in Washington D.C. to show what cops have to go through.

So one day, while eating ice cream in Georgetown, a car full of idiots decide its a good idea to get out of their car with shot guns and chase some schmuck into a store. The whole area went into a frenzy. While most people were streaming away from the idiots, the police were running in the opposite direction, towards the gun wielding idiots. It was like a movie. People running away. The cops streaming towards the criminals to take care of thee situation.

Cops don't really have any extraordinarily selfish motives to put themselves in such situations to protect our lives. It's not the money. It's not the fame. In today's society, a cop really isn't looked up to anymore. But day after day, they put themselvs on the line to protect us. As long as they continue to put their uniform on everyday, they will continue to have my respect.
Old 11-09-04, 04:43 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got pulled over once doing 85...pulled over...and the cop got run over by another motorist that was distracted

I got off on the speeding ticket....I hope the cop made it ok....
Old 11-09-04, 06:05 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 365 Likes on 254 Posts

^^^ That is not a good story...

Last edited by jonathancl; 02-11-11 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-09-04, 06:21 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GS4fun
I got pulled over once doing 85...pulled over...and the cop got run over by another motorist that was distracted

I got off on the speeding ticket....I hope the cop made it ok....
that is horrible... how long ago was this?

I also hope the cop made it out OK too... you never found out?
Old 11-09-04, 06:59 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

I think radar/laser gun technology is whoopin azz all over Valentine 1 tech. I've been driving with my friend many a times with his V1, and i have borrowed the V1 also for many highway trips... and I've noticed in the last 6 months, there have been SEVERAL incidents where the V1 has picked up absolutely nothing. In fact, I would say it fails to pick up about 60% of cops i encounter. I have even passed a cop, who was perpendicular to the highway... sitting basically 10 feet from the highway.... and have seen him pointing the gun directly at me as I have driven by and absolutely no noise or lights from the V1. Needless to say I have stopped bothering to even use it because of the false sense of security it gives anymore.
Old 11-09-04, 07:35 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

hey jonathan,

is the place you are talking about on I-80 ... going eastward from State College onwards ... like just
a couple of exits away?
there is this 3 lane that goes up on a mountain ... very good stretch of open road to speed up .

Thats where I usually speed up too ... going about 100 mph ... I have always thought nobody can get caught there, because there is no median for a cop to wait and clock you.

maybe I wont speed that much anymore in that area.

tim
Old 11-09-04, 07:48 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Originally posted by timoc42
hey jonathan,

is the place you are talking about on I-80 ... going eastward from State College onwards ... like just
a couple of exits away?
there is this 3 lane that goes up on a mountain ... very good stretch of open road to speed up .

Thats where I usually speed up too ... going about 100 mph ... I have always thought nobody can get caught there, because there is no median for a cop to wait and clock you.

maybe I wont speed that much anymore in that area.

tim
no, not 80. was actually on 322 between port matilda and philipsburg. you're reasonably safe on 80...until i tell them about you.
Old 11-09-04, 08:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Faraaz23
I think radar/laser gun technology is whoopin azz all over Valentine 1 tech. I've been driving with my friend many a times with his V1, and i have borrowed the V1 also for many highway trips... and I've noticed in the last 6 months, there have been SEVERAL incidents where the V1 has picked up absolutely nothing. In fact, I would say it fails to pick up about 60% of cops i encounter. I have even passed a cop, who was perpendicular to the highway... sitting basically 10 feet from the highway.... and have seen him pointing the gun directly at me as I have driven by and absolutely no noise or lights from the V1. Needless to say I have stopped bothering to even use it because of the false sense of security it gives anymore.
all i can say is you should check the v1 to make sure it's working, and/or the cop was pointing at you but not really using the radar. my v1 has been nothing but useful in telling me where the cops are
Old 11-09-04, 08:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

nop, it's totally different. they still break the law intentionally but they can get away with it. that's not like if you are home builders and you get to build homes for cheaper. totally different. for that matter, in some countries like hong kong, if you do that it's against the law and you can get caught bad.

but i agree (and accepted) that it's reality. nothing i can do about it, and nothing i am going to do about it. it's corrupted, it's there. and that's still why i hate them (maybe you can say it's personal, but i just hate cops)
Old 11-09-04, 08:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by verylost
Because part of the system is corrupt. However, that doesn't give us the right to break the law either. If you do see a police officer breaking the law, report him. If nothing happens, keep trying until it gets resolved.

You also need to remember that cops have a very special and important job. They are there to protect us. They are there to be shot at by criminals. On any given day, they might not come home to their families. Do you remember the news footage of 9/11? Which way were the police running? Towards or away from the towers?

Don't you think that the risk they take at work gives them some leeway when it comes to the law? This may be just my opinion, but I believe those who are police officers, firefighters, and military servicemen deserve way more leniency when it comes to common law.

Is possible death included in your job description?
umm you talking about two different things. it's like i can put up and say having "possible death" on the job description doesn't mean they have the right to break laws and get away with it. totally different.

and on a side note, i NEVER ever said that it gives us the "right" to break the law too. if i do speed and get caught, i would be mad but i would accept it. when and where did i say that coz' a cop can speed and get away with it, i should be too? i only said it's unfair that they could get away with it. that's different (again).

and back on the heroic topic. i never said their jobs are easy too. heck, no jobs are easy imho, period. and it's not like they don't know about their job descriptions when they join neither, and that's why they are making the kind of money they do. but if i were to do the comparisons, firemen imho are true heros. they always forget about themselves and they always go out and save lives. however for cops, it's both ways yes some of them are heros, like those who ran into wtc to save people's lives. but we also get a lot of cops out there who's there to just trying to meet their quotas every month on giving out tickets (don't argue on this, it's a fact already, a cop admitted to me in person)
Old 11-09-04, 08:29 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Originally posted by Faraaz23
just becuase you see the gun doesn't mean it's on. in my experience, the V1 never misses.
Old 11-09-04, 08:37 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a HUGH difference between perks of the job and contradicting your duties and responsibilities. We always hear speeding is dangerous and kills. If so why are the very authorities who tell us this, contradicting themselves. Driving in clear conditions that is over the posted limit, is not the same as gunning it. So it comes down to 1) It isn't as dangerous as they claim or 2) they are just a much a danger as everyone they accuse. Just because it is a law does not make right or correct. Just my 2 cents.

The limitations of any radar detector is just that. It warns you when there is a signal similar to their radar guns nearby or in the direction of. V1 and all the rest DOES NOT tell you where the police are. Whoever can make such a device will be very wealthy.

Quick Reply: at last a ticket!