Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I had a ride in the new 911 Carerra S (997)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-04, 05:15 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts
Default I had a ride in the new 911 Carerra S (997)

I have been a fan of Porsches for a very long time, but needless to say other priorities dictate that I cannot own one at the present. Anyway, I finally decided I wanted to drive one or at least get a ride in one so I made an appointment at the local Porsche dealer - http://www.pfaffporsche.com to test drive the new 997.

Anyway, coincidently the day I went it was raining cats and dogs and I did not trust myself driving this beast, so the salesguy took me out for the spin of my life! We went out in the Carerra S. 355 HP and the car weighs only 3100 lbs!!! Official numbers for this car are - 0- 60 MPH in 4.6 seconds!

It was an absolute blast!!! The sales guy obviously had taken some performance driving courses and he drove it as if he was completely unaware that it was raining so heavily. He drove it so fast around a bend onto the highway, I was screaming inside my head getting ready for the crash that was inevitable. Needless to say we did not crash and those 295 mm wide rubber in the back were just glued to the road!

Absolutely incredible. I could not believe how safe the car felt in pouring rain!!! I absolutely loved the active suspension and the sports chrono package! The traction control in these cars so just amazing. It must have kicked in a quite a few times because of the slippery roads, but I never felt it or heard it even once! The salesguy was driving like an absolute maniac!

I have the Tein Flex with EDFC in my car and on the soft setting it felt exactly like the comfort setting in the 997. Incredible car. For those that don't know, this 997 has an active suspension and you it has two main settings - sport and comfort. However it is more sophisticated than the Tein Flex with EDFC in that it adapts to your driving style. If you drive hard and have it set in the comfort setting, it will automatically stiffen the suspension and likewise if you drove it gently it would automatically select the comfort setting.

It also has another very cool feature called Sport Chrono option. This option increases the thresh hold of the traction control and the stability mnagement system so that you can have more fun at the track for example!

Can someone remind me again why I am modding my car to handle like a Porsche? It seems pointless after driving this car. The Porsche 997 is the real deal.

I gotta have one of these beasts .........................

I have to make an appointment and go back on a nice sunny and dry day and drive it myself. However considering how stable it was in the wet, perhaps I can be brave enough to go back regardless of the weather and drive it!
Old 11-10-04, 05:59 AM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can never mod a GS to drive like a Porsche chassis...don't know why you would think you could.
Good luck getting a 997.
Old 11-10-04, 07:03 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by LexusLuver
you can never mod a GS to drive like a Porsche chassis...don't know why you would think you could.
Good luck getting a 997.
You obviously don't know me otherwise you would have realized I was just joking.

Thankfully I am not stupid enough to think I can mod a GS to be a Porsche. [sigh of relief]

Last edited by Hameed; 11-10-04 at 07:04 AM.
Old 11-10-04, 07:10 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what's the sticker $ on that bad boy?

and I know, "If you have to ask you can't afford it"
Old 11-10-04, 07:16 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

In Canada it's $115K which is about US$96K
Old 11-10-04, 07:17 AM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

I was joking too.
Old 11-10-04, 07:20 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Some pics
Attached Thumbnails I had a ride in the new 911 Carerra S (997)-59487-car_1.jpg  
Old 11-10-04, 09:32 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

if you like the S try giving the Turbo a test......it will blow your mind!

CEO
Old 11-10-04, 09:34 AM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

Default Re: I had a ride in the new 911 Carerra S (997)

Thats exactly the same thing I was thinking before I got rid of my GS. Grant it, I got a 350Z (apples/oranges) but the lexus no matter what i did was just too luxury and not enough performance for me. Great car for what it is, but definetly not a Porsche no matter what they do to it. My buddy has a 9114s, and lemme tell you, it is one nice machine even in the rain.
Originally posted by Hameed
I have been a fan of Porsches for a very long time, but needless to say other priorities dictate that I cannot own one at the present. Anyway, I finally decided I wanted to drive one or at least get a ride in one so I made an appointment at the local Porsche dealer - http://www.pfaffporsche.com to test drive the new 997.

Anyway, coincidently the day I went it was raining cats and dogs and I did not trust myself driving this beast, so the salesguy took me out for the spin of my life! We went out in the Carerra S. 355 HP and the car weighs only 3100 lbs!!! Official numbers for this car are - 0- 60 MPH in 4.6 seconds!

It was an absolute blast!!! The sales guy obviously had taken some performance driving courses and he drove it as if he was completely unaware that it was raining so heavily. He drove it so fast around a bend onto the highway, I was screaming inside my head getting ready for the crash that was inevitable. Needless to say we did not crash and those 295 mm wide rubber in the back were just glued to the road!

Absolutely incredible. I could not believe how safe the car felt in pouring rain!!! I absolutely loved the active suspension and the sports chrono package! The traction control in these cars so just amazing. It must have kicked in a quite a few times because of the slippery roads, but I never felt it or heard it even once! The salesguy was driving like an absolute maniac!

I have the Tein Flex with EDFC in my car and on the soft setting it felt exactly like the comfort setting in the 997. Incredible car. For those that don't know, this 997 has an active suspension and you it has two main settings - sport and comfort. However it is more sophisticated than the Tein Flex with EDFC in that it adapts to your driving style. If you drive hard and have it set in the comfort setting, it will automatically stiffen the suspension and likewise if you drove it gently it would automatically select the comfort setting.

It also has another very cool feature called Sport Chrono option. This option increases the thresh hold of the traction control and the stability mnagement system so that you can have more fun at the track for example!

Can someone remind me again why I am modding my car to handle like a Porsche? It seems pointless after driving this car. The Porsche 997 is the real deal.

I gotta have one of these beasts .........................

I have to make an appointment and go back on a nice sunny and dry day and drive it myself. However considering how stable it was in the wet, perhaps I can be brave enough to go back regardless of the weather and drive it!
Old 11-10-04, 09:51 AM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

when in comfort mode, is it nice and soft, and the engine very quiet?
i saw some 01+ porches' with loud engines(they sound very old), is that just the nature of the porche engines? that once it's passed, say 40K miles, it sounds very very old??
Old 11-10-04, 10:04 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like the 997.
Hope to have a drive in one also.
Old 11-10-04, 10:14 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Nice story Hameed! When you gonna buy one and come to NJ so we can cruise? LOL

-Anthony
Old 11-10-04, 11:26 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by talgrl626
when in comfort mode, is it nice and soft, and the engine very quiet?
i saw some 01+ porches' with loud engines(they sound very old), is that just the nature of the porche engines? that once it's passed, say 40K miles, it sounds very very old??
The one I was in was very quiet on the inside. On the outside it sounds very nice and throaty!

Keep in mind that one of the reasons that most people buy this car is because of the sweet music from the exhaust. As a matter of fact they have a factory option for a sports exhaust and it sounds so sweeeeet! If I got a Porsche some day I would definitely go for that option!
Old 11-10-04, 11:29 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by THE_CEO
if you like the S try giving the Turbo a test......it will blow your mind!

CEO
The 997 Turbo is not out yet so you must be referring to the previous generation. Now after seeing this 997 and reading reviews from owners of the 996, I don't think I would want a 996. The 997 is so much better - the chassis, suspension, quality and fit of the materials etc.
Originally posted by Richie
I really like the 997.
Hope to have a drive in one also.
After that make sure you drive it too bud!
Originally posted by Captain Bone
Nice story Hameed! When you gonna buy one and come to NJ so we can cruise? LOL

-Anthony
How about next week?

Last edited by Hameed; 11-10-04 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-10-04, 11:48 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Read this review from an owner on 6speedonline.com
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...5&pagenumber=1

Quick Reply: I had a ride in the new 911 Carerra S (997)