Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti seeks Chanel's advice; automaker asks for help with selling pricey 2006 M45

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-04, 07:10 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by KevinGS
My problem with Infinity recently is their cars simply aren't visually appealing to me.

Their best car dynamically, the G35, is butt-ugly in sedan form to my eye. The coupe is OK, but the door sills are still too high, like you're driving in a bathtub.

And the larger sedans look decent from some angles, but then others, it just looks strange. When you're spending 40k or 50k for a car, it's gotta look impressive too. Infinity's simply dont, IMO.

It started with Nissan in general though, I simply don't like the current generation of Nissans. My g/f owns a 1995 Nissan Twin Turbo, and people stilll turn their heads to watch the car go by. Nissan has lost that kind of magic. For me, it all starts with those oblong headlights on all their cars now. They look like bug-eyes, and it's not attractive.

Unfortunately, they used that look throughout their WHOLE lineup, even their trucks..and right up into their Infinity line. And it makes all their care look disconcerting to me.

Oh well. One day, they will get it right again. I hope.
Don't like high window sills? What do you think of the new GS then?

You don't think the new M35/M45 looks hot? I agree that the G35 sedan isn't that sexy, but their new stuff looks pretty great.
Old 11-16-04, 09:53 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Incendiary
Don't like high window sills? What do you think of the new GS then?

You don't think the new M35/M45 looks hot? I agree that the G35 sedan isn't that sexy, but their new stuff looks pretty great.
The new M35/45 looks good from the front (though that chrome grill is excessively big to me). And the profile of the new M is actually really nice, as Infiniti did a really nice job filling the wheel wells up with very little gap...and that's rolling off the showroom floor. Lexus rarely gets the wheel wells right from an aesthetic point of view.

But the rear of the new M, I just don't like those rear lights...at all. Can't even mod it enough to alter it either, unless you start painting fixtures and such. That rear is enough for me to not even consider the car, which is a similar effect of the current Infinitis front lights (I wont even consider them with those bug-eye lights). I just can't stomach overwrought lights, which was almost the reason I didn't buy my Lexus. Automotive designers are trying to hard nowadays, and it shows. Simple and clean is better than all these overstyled cars we're getting nowadays.

I like the new Mercedes E-series...the lines and proportions are well done. Understated, yet still classy. The Merc front light fixtures are still a little big for my taste, but the E-class does the best job of blending them into the body.

Yes, I am picky. But there's not a lot of cars on the road today that look good from every angle. Most have at least one, if not two, really bad angles. That Infiniti rear shot, especially the rear at a 45 degree angle, makes those rear lights look horrible, IMO.

Like...

The new Audi grill? What were they thinking???? (The current Audi line looks much better, IMO)

The new Bangled BMWs? How did those clunky trunklids and feminine, eyelashed front fixtures get approved????

I just don't get it with these high end automotive companies. I expect normal cars under $30k to have some design flaws, simply because design compromises must be made at the expense of economics.

But if I am spending more than $30k, especially more than $50k, the car should have NO bad angles. NONE.

Hec, I think the new retro Mustang is one of the better looking new cars I have seen this year. Ford got it right, IMO. Just enough retro, yet forward-thinking as well... A pretty clean design. And it's been some time since I complimented an American car design.

I have always thought the latest Saabs (last 4 years or so) were some of the better looking cars on the road too...no bad angles. Nice front lights and grill, nicely simple rear lights and a nice profile.

But "no bad angle" cars is a very short list.
Old 11-16-04, 11:32 PM
rai
Lead Lap

You can goto Infiniti web site and price out the new M.

It's got some $10K option packages. I think the V6 awd with everything is $54K compair to RL $50K. The top V8 with everything goes for $59K. Isn't that close to LS430 price?

I don't know if those prices are sustainable without incentives, but then maybe they have "built in" incentives in the price.
Old 11-17-04, 12:49 AM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally posted by KevinGS
My problem with Infinity recently is their cars simply aren't visually appealing to me.

Their best car dynamically, the G35, is butt-ugly in sedan form to my eye. The coupe is OK, but the door sills are still too high, like you're driving in a bathtub.

And the larger sedans look decent from some angles, but then others, it just looks strange. When you're spending 40k or 50k for a car, it's gotta look impressive too. Infinity's simply dont, IMO.

It started with Nissan in general though, I simply don't like the current generation of Nissans. My g/f owns a 1995 Nissan Twin Turbo, and people stilll turn their heads to watch the car go by. Nissan has lost that kind of magic. For me, it all starts with those oblong headlights on all their cars now. They look like bug-eyes, and it's not attractive.

Unfortunately, they used that look throughout their WHOLE lineup, even their trucks..and right up into their Infinity line. And it makes all their care look disconcerting to me.

Oh well. One day, they will get it right again. I hope.
Old 11-17-04, 01:08 AM
LexFather

Originally posted by 2SAVVY
As one of the guys that have jumped from a Lexus to an Infiniti I guess I can chime in on this topic.

Just picked up a '04 G35 Coupe to go with the wifes '04 FX35 and yes the interior is no way as plush as a Lexus but its not overly cheap as a BMW's interior IMHO.

Fit and finish of both our vehicles is top notch and we haven't had any issues with the FX to date thus is why I jumped into a G35. Time will tell on how good the G35 will be but I am confident. Now I miss the retractable hard top and the wonderful ML sound system in the SC but the Bose system in the Infiniti's aren't too bad.

Marketing wise I think Infiniti should fire their staff and start over because the product is getting alot better and i'd buy one (Yeah I did) over an Acura any day of the week but the ads I see in print or on TV are so dry it makes not want to try the product out. Once you drive the Infiniti product I was sold.

Now would I buy a M35/45 over a GS. Definately not in the first year or two since a Lexus out of the box is far superior over anything Infiniti brings to the table in the first or even second model year but maybe the new M35/45 will prove me wrong. Now do I think the M cars will give the GS a run for the money. Definately because from the changes I see in Infiniti they do listen to the owners and bring improvements to the table alot quicker than Lexus.

On the service end Lexus still treats you like a KING and Infiniti is lacking in this important part of the ownership experience. Winner bar none LEXUS on this point.

Just my take on things Infiniti vs Lexus.
DUDE!! You went from a GS/SC 430 to a G35/FX! Wow what a change! Nice seeing u around still.

Old 11-17-04, 07:51 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
DUDE!! You went from a GS/SC 430 to a G35/FX! Wow what a change! Nice seeing u around still.
Hey Mike,

Just slumming with Infiniti now buddy..

Did you get a new car yet??

Ken
Old 11-17-04, 08:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Hey Mike,

Just slumming with Infiniti now buddy..

Did you get a new car yet??

Ken
hey do you still remember me bro? anyway, welcome to see you here again! i cna't believe you went with infiniti now, hehe j/k

my friend he has the g35c. when he got the car he said it's very solid, but now he tells me the quality of the car isn't all that good, things are falling apart here and there, and the interior rattling is just bad. i am not sure if it's over time thing?

again, welcome back!
Old 11-17-04, 09:40 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
hey do you still remember me bro? anyway, welcome to see you here again! i cna't believe you went with infiniti now, hehe j/k

my friend he has the g35c. when he got the car he said it's very solid, but now he tells me the quality of the car isn't all that good, things are falling apart here and there, and the interior rattling is just bad. i am not sure if it's over time thing?

again, welcome back!
Henry,

Howz that UGO kit hanging on your GS buddy. Can't forget you and I see you are keeping the SC430 forum in check with Gene. Yup slumming with Infiniti now and decided to put some money in Real Estate and not so much into cars right now so I dropped down a bit. The G35C only has 1900 kms on it right now but since the Mrs has over 40,000 kms on her FX and the platforms are similar therefore I am confident my G35 will hold together. **Crossing fingers**

G35 Pictures from Cottage
Old 11-17-04, 10:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Henry,

Howz that UGO kit hanging on your GS buddy. Can't forget you and I see you are keeping the SC430 forum in check with Gene. Yup slumming with Infiniti now and decided to put some money in Real Estate and not so much into cars right now so I dropped down a bit. The G35C only has 1900 kms on it right now but since the Mrs has over 40,000 kms on her FX and the platforms are similar therefore I am confident my G35 will hold together. **Crossing fingers**

G35 Pictures from Cottage
well i drove my friend's g35c 6 speed when it had about 1000 miles and it was very solid. but then he modded the car, maybe that makes it stiffer and more rattling i have no idea

but yeah, it's good man. ugo is still here, and yup, trying to learn more about the sc430 and the ls430 now too, haha