Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New GS is to be tuned by Porsche??

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-04, 12:55 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by whipimpin
Don't forget Daewoo's "Porsche brakes & suspension" - what a crock!

And I'd have to agree regarding the suspension of the upcoming GS.

You guys will still have to seriously modify this upcoming platform to out-maneuver the 5-series crowd.

M.
Yeah! Must have been the Daewoo I was thinking of...

Porsche is hard-up for $$$...They'll consult anyone who will pay them.

Remeber, Porsche design does not always = Porsche performance. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Porsche doesn't have much experience with 3600lb+ Japanese sedans.
Old 11-13-04, 01:14 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well lets all wait and see what this new machine is capable of doing.
Old 11-13-04, 01:52 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
Trust me, the new GS will not be winning many comparos, certainly not when it comes to handling.
And in my crystal ball I see..... nothing.

Guys let's wait and see. wantAnewLex is likely right based on past history of how Lexus tunes suspensions (soft), but unless he's gone out and driven the car or seen some comparison I haven't seen shared here yet, then he has absolutely no idea of knowing any better than the rest of us. It's all conjecture.

wantAnewLex - I'd ask you to try stop stating things in an inflammatory manner please. Sometimes the way they come across seems to be simply baiting for arguments.

Also, Danny Clement's statements were directed at primarily at the horsepower wars if I remember correctly. Performance <> Handling and he has stated that improving handling is one of his goals.

“We’re never going to be all about performance. We’re not BMW,” says Lexus General Manager Dennis Clements.

“But we could be more competitive, offering better handling and better 0-to-60 (acceleration).

“We have the engineering capability. There’s no national mystique to that,” he says.
Old 11-13-04, 02:21 PM
LexFather

I have seen and heard nothing about a Porsche tuned GS. Yes Porsche build possibly the best and certainly some of the best handling cars. Its not like Toyota cannot compete. They just choose not too.

I would figure LOTUS would do the tuning, since Toyota already sells the Celica engine to them for the new ELISE. And have heard of rumors of a 4.3 liter V-8 Lexus powered new Espirit.

Old 11-13-04, 02:46 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Toyota used to own Lotus, maybe they should buy them again. Lotus did the suspension for the MkI MR2

Yes Porsche is very good at building amazing chassis, but so are many Japanese automotive brands

Toyota - MKIV Supra raised the bar for high-performance cars, only lacking in steering feel
held the record for fastest tuner car at Nurburing for a number of yrs
amazing LeMans GT1 car, involved nearly for 20yrs LeMans before leaving in 99. Dominated in the WRC.
Honda - NSX no considerable chassis issues
in 2yrs dominated GT2 at LeMans , very embarassing/frightening for Porsche...decades of racing made obsolete
Nissan - Skyline GT-R's
Scoobie, and the EVO VIII
Old 11-13-04, 08:01 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by whipimpin
Don't forget Daewoo's "Porsche brakes & suspension" - what a crock!

Don't forget the Holden 4-banger...
Old 11-13-04, 08:25 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by LexusLuver
Toyota used to own Lotus, maybe they should buy them again.
Where did you get that from ... I never heard that before.

The latest Lotus Elise has the Toyota 1.8 VVTi, but that is merely a business deal.
Old 11-13-04, 08:30 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Porsche tuned ... if Porsche were to design the New GS suspension from scratch, it would handle awesome. However, I suspect that most of the GS suspension has already been fixed, so Porsche would only be able to put in different shocks, springs, sways, ... ,

Probably there will be a Sport version of the GS, the mainstream GS will likely just be Toyota/Lexus tuned ..
Old 11-13-04, 08:36 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

A very significant part of Porsche's revenue and profit is generated by consultancy business.

Many car manufacturers go to Porsche (or Lotus or Cosworth etc...) to have their car tuned.

But do not forget ... most Lexus drivers would rather go for a Lexus/Mercedes comfort-tuned suspension, than a sportcar Porsche-like suspension (e.g. stiffer but better handling suspension).
Old 11-14-04, 02:34 AM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

The MkI MR2 was introduced in 1985. From the Lotus Motorsports FAQ: The first-generation MR2 was introduced during a period of close cooperation between Lotus and Toyota. The Lotus Eclat was reworked with some Toyota parts to make the Excel during this period. Toyota was also involved in design and specification of the M90/X100 prototype. (Borrowed directly from the Lotus FAQ) There are two rumors about Lotus' involvement with the MR2. The "official" rumor is that the MR2 was designed "in-house" at Toyota by Lotus suspension engineer Roger Becker. The other rumor is that the MR2 was an abandoned Lotus design (possibly the M90/X100). According to Doc Bundy, Lotusport Esprit driver, the MR2 is the X100.
Toyota owned 25% of Lotus at one time.
Old 11-14-04, 07:15 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
Oh right, what WAS I thinking?? Lexus has such a STORIED history of beating the Germans when it comes to performance...
Yes, like the GS being the fastest production sedan when introduced, and the fact that an L-Tuned GS will outcorner a 540. What WERE you thinking?
Old 11-14-04, 08:11 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

WantanewLex, actually Denny Clements did said Lexus will be making more Sportier offerings to attract younger buyers & impove Lexus image. He also said that there will be performance versions eventually to compete with the AMG/M/S. Having a sportier tuned suspension is a neccessity in order to do that, & I can't believe a man in his position will announce that if that's not what they're working on, whether it is with Porsche or not.

BTW, that Porsche story was reported by Autospies that Porsche engineers were seen working on the new GS when they were testing it in Nurburgring a while ago. You decide whether you want to trust Autospies on this report.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 11-14-04 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-15-04, 08:10 AM
Skinny
Driver

Actually I think that Porsche tuning story is true. Someone posted a link to what seemed like a legit news site about Toyota using Porsche to tune the suspension on the '06 GS. THis was over a year ago, so it could very well be true. Someone on Edmunds' TOwn Hall posted the link. Good luck finding it now but you can try.

Lotus has tuned suspensions for various cars, one of the best known is the long ago defunct Isuzu Impulse where the car proudly had a badge on the fenders "Tuned by Lotus".

And a company like Porsche or Lotus can only do so much for cheap cars like Isuzu's or Hyundai's. I mean you are comparing $20K cars suspensions with a $50K cars suspension. There is only soo much you can do with a basic(cheap) suspension setup and a relatively flimsy structure. So comparing Lotus or Porsche tuning suspensions on cheap-o cars and using that as justification of why they'll do a crappy job on a expensive car is ridiculous.
Old 11-15-04, 08:16 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally posted by Skinny
Actually I think that Porsche tuning story is true. Someone posted a link to what seemed like a legit news site about Toyota using Porsche to tune the suspension on the '06 GS. THis was over a year ago, so it could very well be true. Someone on Edmunds' TOwn Hall posted the link.
If the link you're talking about is the same link that I also saw on Edmunds' Town Hall, then it's the link to AutoSpies.com .
Old 11-15-04, 11:25 AM
Skinny
Driver

Originally posted by SexySC
If the link you're talking about is the same link that I also saw on Edmunds' Town Hall, then it's the link to AutoSpies.com .

If that was the case, who knows if it's true....

Quick Reply: New GS is to be tuned by Porsche??