Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New GS is to be tuned by Porsche??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-04, 11:45 AM
LexFather

Originally posted by Skinny
Actually I think that Porsche tuning story is true. Someone posted a link to what seemed like a legit news site about Toyota using Porsche to tune the suspension on the '06 GS. THis was over a year ago, so it could very well be true. Someone on Edmunds' TOwn Hall posted the link. Good luck finding it now but you can try.

Lotus has tuned suspensions for various cars, one of the best known is the long ago defunct Isuzu Impulse where the car proudly had a badge on the fenders "Tuned by Lotus".

And a company like Porsche or Lotus can only do so much for cheap cars like Isuzu's or Hyundai's. I mean you are comparing $20K cars suspensions with a $50K cars suspension. There is only soo much you can do with a basic(cheap) suspension setup and a relatively flimsy structure. So comparing Lotus or Porsche tuning suspensions on cheap-o cars and using that as justification of why they'll do a crappy job on a expensive car is ridiculous.
And the Isuzu Stylus 4-door sedan. GREAT call on the Impulse...

Old 11-15-04, 04:35 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the article it took me 3 minutes i just did a search. The person who gave this link also said he read the 2006 GS was being tuned by Porsche. http://www.autospies.com/article/ind...7&categoryId=1
Old 11-15-04, 11:08 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all i have to say is that if 1sicklex has heard nothing about this, then it probably isnt true. Also, why wouldnt it have been announced at all when concept versions of the 2006 GS were introduced in auto shows. Still, it would take alot for lexus to offer sporty suspension like the germans considering that throughout the lexus line, handling has been rather soft. The only car that i've heard from car mags that handles similar to the germans is the g35..
Old 11-16-04, 07:08 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally posted by Xenthar
all i have to say is that if 1sicklex has heard nothing about this, then it probably isnt true. Also, why wouldnt it have been announced at all when concept versions of the 2006 GS were introduced in auto shows. Still, it would take alot for lexus to offer sporty suspension like the germans considering that throughout the lexus line, handling has been rather soft. The only car that i've heard from car mags that handles similar to the germans is the g35..
That's incorrect, the IS300's handling is comparable to the Germans from many reviews from car mags (it actually won a magazine comparison test a couple years ago against the 330i & the C320 in an article posted in the IS forum), it outhandles the C320 by most accounts, just that the C320 is a more comfortable cruiser, & that's not necessarily a bad thing for the C320 neither. What the present IS lags is in hp. I think it's a misconception that Toyota can't make sporty suspensions, they make soft suspensions by design catering to the mainstream N.American market as that's where the big money is, & they are correct from that business standpoint as you can see with their big financial successes.

As to why it may not have been announced if it's true, that's very consistent with Lexus' usual practice of being very secretive about their new models. Whether it's tuned by Porsche or not, we just have to wait for the GS to come out & see how well it fares against the competitors in head-to-head comparison tests.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 11-16-04 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-16-04, 07:54 AM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand why Toytota would get Porsche to do the tuning of their suspension. Toyota has TRD and TTE! Why not use these racing divisions to get the suspension the way they want? I believe it would make more sense if they did that. Or why not just make a new Lexus Line Up. Like BMW has M Cars and Mercedes-Benz has AMGs.