Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's the difference between Optitron and Electroluminescent?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-04, 10:43 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the difference between Optitron and Electroluminescent?

I was skimming though some Lexus brochures and noticed that the first RX and current ES state "optitron" gauges. I thought optitron was the greenish display in the GS?
Old 11-14-04, 12:37 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

An electroluminescent instrument gauge is like HID (high intensity discharge) lighting, in which there is emission of light caused by an electric discharge. My '01 ES has a factory electroluminescent instrument gauge.

I could be wrong about this, but I believe an Optitron gauge describes the circular exterior design of the gauges themselves, and doesn't refer to the lighting of the gauges. The current Altima has this Optitron gauge design as well.
Old 11-15-04, 08:12 AM
Skinny
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by lexusk8
An electroluminescent instrument gauge is like HID (high intensity discharge) lighting, in which there is emission of light caused by an electric discharge. My '01 ES has a factory electroluminescent instrument gauge.

I could be wrong about this, but I believe an Optitron gauge describes the circular exterior design of the gauges themselves, and doesn't refer to the lighting of the gauges. The current Altima has this Optitron gauge design as well.
Actually 97-on ES's have Optitron gauges. They have been dumping the Electroluminescant gauges on more cares because of the high cost of replacing them and the neon needles tend to go out quite early.