Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Boss' (wife) new Scion tC

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-04, 08:14 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boss' (wife) new Scion tC

My wife is tiny, so she likes driving smaller cars. I tried to talk her into a used IS, but she liked the look and drive of the tC better, believe it or not. Anyway, there is going to be a great aftermarket for this car and three stages of TRD superchargers which will bring the stock 160HP camry engine to levels of 200, 260, and I believe 330HP, the 330HP version is race-only and will void the factory warranty. The car moves out well stock, mid 7 0-60 and mid 15 1/4 mile. So far, we've added the TRD springs, rear sway bar, and tint. The springs and sway bar have totally transformed the handling dynamics and appearance of the car.

To note, I don't buy new cars due to depreciation factors, but the wife had to have this one and, fortunately, the value was exceptional. At less than 21K loaded, we got a premium 6 disc in dash Pioneer xm-mp3 receiver, upgraded sepakers, custom fit encloser w/10" bazooka sub in the hatch, power everything including moonroof , keyless, upgraded security system w/glass break and other sensors, side impact airbags, 4 wheel disc w/antilock, tire pressure monitoring system, 17" wheels, fog lights, and rear lip spoiler, This car drives better and has more features than a few 30K cars I've been in! Anyway, on to the pics I hope you all enjoy.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-15-04 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-15-04, 09:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Congragulations your new wheels. Since you and your wife are not used to having a new car, let me give you a couple of tips for breaking it in properly for the first 1000 miles or so:

-No hard stops except in an emergency.
-Vary engine RPM up and down....no steady engine speeds for long distances. But keep the RPM below 4000. After 1000 miles or so you can red-line it.
-No hard starts or flooring the gas pedal....again, except in an emergency.
Change the engine oil and filter at 1000-1500 miles. I know this is not in the owners' manual, but it will help get the metal shavings and impurities out from the tight break-in engine tolerences. Then you can go to the normal 3000-5000 mile intervals.

You'll also want to keep the paint pristine. I recommend a liquid in a small yellow bottle called SCRATCH-OUT. $3-5 at auto parts stores and some dealerships and CVS drug stores. You can find it with the waxes and cleaners. Some gas stations also have it. Great stuff...you won't be sorry you have it. It will take out all kinds of marks and discolorations that your wife is likely to pick up in routine daily driving. I use it regularly on my yellow IS300.
Old 11-15-04, 09:26 AM
LexFather

CONGRATS TOM!!!

Old 11-15-04, 10:07 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Excellent choice. The new Celica (c'mon, admit it ) is a great car with nothing but value and performance. The aftermarket as you mentioned is absolutely delicious. I wish it was that easy for some other Toyotas/Lexus cars.

Anyway, awesome choice, here's to many years of fun with it!

Old 11-15-04, 10:07 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Boss' (wife) new Scion tC

Originally posted by tomtnc
Anyway, there is going to be a great aftermarket for this car and three stages of TRD superchargers which will bring the stock 160HP camry engine to levels of 200, 260, and I believe 330HP, the 330HP version is race-only and will void the factory warranty.
330HP!!!! And it's still FWD. Well it's good for drag racing I suppose. Can you find me a link to where I can find more info on these superchargers?

Congrats on your wife's new car, BTW.
Old 11-15-04, 10:14 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Congrats! Great choice I can only see red X's for the pics tho
Old 11-15-04, 10:17 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Originally posted by mmarshall
Congragulations your new wheels. Since you and your wife are not used to having a new car, let me give you a couple of tips for breaking it in properly for the first 1000 miles or so:

-No hard stops except in an emergency.
-Vary engine RPM up and down....no steady engine speeds for long distances. But keep the RPM below 4000. After 1000 miles or so you can red-line it.
-No hard starts or flooring the gas pedal....again, except in an emergency.
Change the engine oil and filter at 1000-1500 miles. I know this is not in the owners' manual, but it will help get the metal shavings and impurities out from the tight break-in engine tolerences. Then you can go to the normal 3000-5000 mile intervals.
Thanks for the tips. Your directions are somewhat similar to the Hard Break In Process I follow on new 4 stroke engines. This is not the first new car I've owned and applied the hard break in process. The last was a LT1 Z28 that found ~475HP to the wheels (stock bottom end and heads + cam + nitrous) for most of it's life and ran as good as the day I bought it when it was sold at 90+K miles.

If you believe this hard break in theory (I do), you have 50-100 miles to properly seat the piston rings given the finer hone of the cylinder walls in a modern engine block. You should change the oil immediately thereafter, as I did the first chance I got at 200 miles. I'll change the oil again at 1000 miles and then at 3000 mile intervals.

Last edited by tomtnc; 11-15-04 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-15-04, 10:32 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

That's a very nice car!!!
Am I correct if I see the roof is black?
Old 11-15-04, 11:01 AM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

Its all glass. Standard panoramic sunroof
Wish I had that on my car ..........
Old 11-15-04, 03:12 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

am i the only one not seeing the pictures?
Old 11-15-04, 04:05 PM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Sorry all...cheap a$$ free image hosting at Villiage Photo exceeded my daily quota. I'll see if I can drum something up here shortly to rectify the situation.
Old 11-15-04, 04:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by adidas1532
They're a little fuzzy on the resolution, but the pictures clearly show that they bought a tC. The light reflection is a little tricky, though...the car could be either silver or white.
Old 11-15-04, 05:59 PM
ARB
Lead Lap

Originally posted by adidas1532
The pics were up and blurry but as of 5:59 PST there just gone alltogether.

Last edited by ARB; 11-15-04 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-15-04, 06:25 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally posted by tomtnc
Sorry all...cheap a$$ free image hosting at Villiage Photo exceeded my daily quota. I'll see if I can drum something up here shortly to rectify the situation.
Tom I took the pics from the email you sent me earlier in the day and hosted them on my website gallery (changed your links). I think these are the same ones you had posted here - if not send me the new ones and I'll put 'em up.
Old 11-15-04, 06:45 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Scion tc

Congrats on the purchase, I like it. SO much that I've been tempted to take it for a test drive. A guy I know has one and I've looked it up and down. I'm impressed with the looks, fit and finish. If only it were a couple inches longer (I'm a big guy).

Quick Reply: Boss' (wife) new Scion tC