Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW M3 Competiton and M5 pics (okay, better drool than my last thread)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-04, 12:03 PM
LexFather

Default BMW M3 Competiton and M5 pics (okay, better drool than my last thread)

Official Press Release[/B]
For Discerning Driver Who Wants the Ultimate in M3 Handling Performance
Woodcliff Lake, NJ - November 16, 2004

Already renowned for its performance and handling, the new Competition Package takes M3 performance to the razor?s edge. Every aspect of the M3?s handling has been tweaked resulting in the best-handling M3 ever.

The wheels are 19-inch forged-alloy wheels with high-performance tires. They connect to a suspension that has been tuned specifically for the Competition Package. Turn-in is quicker with a more direct steering ratio which goes from 15.4:1 to 14.5:1.

M Track mode and brake system taken from the BMW M3 CSL
The Dynamic Stability Control system includes a less intrusive M track mode, as on the M3 CSL, ensuring the security of DSC and spirited driving too. For inclement conditions the regular DSC mode remains. The brakes, also adopted from the M3 CSL, include compound and cross-drilled rotors. The front rotors have also been enlarged from 12.8 to13.6 inches.

As the serious enthusiast would expect, the Competition Package is available in combination with the standard six-speed manual or the optional Sequential Manual Gearbox.

The interior enhancements of the package are subtle but purposeful. The Alcantara steering wheel and handbrake grip feel good to the touch. The addition of the steering wheel-mounted button for the DSC M track mode requires the deletion of the multi-function controls and cruise control. The Competition Package is available with all M3 Coupe interior and exterior color combinations. Two trim items are exclusive to the Competition Package. Special Competition Package aluminum trim is included on the interior. A new exterior color, Interlagos Blue, is offered only with this package.

The Competition Package will be available for 2005 M3 Coupes beginning with December 2004 production and it will make its debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show. The price for the package will be $4,000.

------------
More technical release (released in Belgium):
New Competition Package for the BMW M3 Coupé (15.11.2004)

At the turn of the year, BMW M will be offering a so-called Competition Package intended for the particularly sports-orientated BMW M3 driver. Thanks to this new optional equipment package, available only when purchasing a new car, the M3 Coupé, already one of the world's best sports cars, becomes just that little more responsive and agile. The package, which is available from December 2004, will be sold in Belgium at a price of 5,550 Euro incl. (price M3 Competition 63,500 Euro).

The Competition Package comprises 19-inch wheels possessing the same styling of those sported by the M3 CSL and fitted with high-performance tyres size 225/40 R 19 on 8Jx19 rims at the front and size 255/35 R 19 on 9.5x19 rims at the rear. Overall optimisation of the suspension and slightly enhanced steering response (a ratio of 14.5:1 instead of 15.4:1) result in noticeably improved vehicle dynamics.

M Track mode and brake system taken from the BMW M3 CSL.

Moreover, drivers will be able to enjoy the M Track mode also featured on the M3 CSL, allowing them to venture even further to the boundaries of the vehicle's potential without having to forgo the benefits of Dynamic Stability Control (DSC).

The steering wheel, the handbrake lever and, in the case of the optionally available sequential M transmission, the gearshift lever **** have an Alcantara covering. Owing to the M Track mode button located on the right hand steering wheel spoke, there are no multifunction buttons.

The brake system of the M3 with the Competition Package was also taken from the M3 CSL. Consequently, the overall diameter of the perforated compound brake discs at the front has increased by 20 mm to 345 mm.

Finally, the Competition Package also exclusively includes the new Alu Tec interior trim and the option of a new M3 body colour - Interlagos blue metallic.
------------

We do finally get pics! They are terribly washed out however, so keep in mind that while these pics of overcast Interlagos might look like this:

(which mind you is not terrible, just a bit too, uh, purple)

The M5 pics were looking like this on a sunny day:

Old 11-16-04, 12:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by webguyIS
OK here are the OFFICIAL BMW AG press release photos!!

Click for insanely high-res copy:

I'd say it's fairly obvious these are photoshopped to add some saturation to the blue, but I think it's a much closer representation than the faded purple look above.

Old 11-16-04, 12:05 PM
LexFather

Courtesy of webguyIS at IS.net

I think the M5 is really growing on me (after reading on it in EVO and CAR) and that M3 is superb!

Old 11-16-04, 12:32 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do those 2 shorties come as an optional SmallBoldGuy package?
Old 11-16-04, 01:19 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I think the M5 is really growing on me (after reading on it in EVO and CAR) and that M3 is superb!
I like the M5 more & more too, but I'm getting tired of looking at any 3 series, M3 included, as nice as I think it's design is.
Old 11-16-04, 02:08 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice...I woud love that package, but not at that price on top of retail...why are the brakes on the BMW's so tiny???
Old 11-16-04, 08:41 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Click for insanely high-res copy:
Any high-res pics of the M5?

BTW, great pics, thanks for sharing
Old 11-17-04, 12:35 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 310 Likes on 188 Posts

Awesome pics 1SICKLEX!!!
Yeah me too. It's more the technology that I like than the exterior design though.
Old 11-17-04, 08:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Courtesy of webguyIS at IS.net

i like the car more and more every day too. but i guess it still needs quite some getting used to though
Old 01-12-05, 09:43 PM
LexFather

Old 01-12-05, 09:50 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why is Mini-Me driving that M5? just kidding