Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

g35 performance potential

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-04, 12:00 AM
sc3boost
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default g35 performance potential

hey guys, i've been looking at the g35 coupe and i'm loving it more and more, but i still have love my sc300 5spd, but i know nothing about nissan's, basically what i'm asking is when it comes to power ( not crazy insane power) will the g35 be able to dish it out like the 2jz's, or will i need to forfit the internals of the v6.
and also is there a forum or somewhere i could look to find out more about this car.
Old 11-19-04, 12:02 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G35's V6 is one strong motherBLEEEP BLEEEEP BLEEEP engine. It can easily handle the blow and the suck.
Old 11-19-04, 12:16 AM
sc3boost
Pole Position

Default ok kool

how can i find out more about the engine.
i just want to know exactly what is used internally.

i'm not going to say i want 900hp cause you know how it goes, but to begin i think 400-500.
i'm worrird about the tranny, blowing pistons,and the rear end.
will the stock engine handle this, or is there a suitable engine swap, maybe a skyline motor
Old 11-19-04, 02:19 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

try looking on www.freshalloy.com
Old 11-19-04, 06:13 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are a few other forums that u can find out, i have a g35 and i go on 6mt.net, g35driver.com, and my350z.com good luck
Old 11-19-04, 06:37 AM
qtb33
Lead Lap

From what I have heard the bottom end is "only" good from about 400-500HP. So if your going to push that I would probably upgrade for the new internals if its driving often and hard. It's a good stout little motor but nothing in the eyes' of the 2JZ.

I have heard rumor that there is a stroker kit out or is comming out that will bump the displacement to 4.0L and up the C.R. enough to give a 400HP all motor beast. If your not into goin FI this may be a very good route for you. I'm sure it's about $5-6K though, but so is 400HP with twins.

Sweet car regardless.

Last edited by qtb33; 11-19-04 at 06:41 AM.
Old 11-19-04, 07:20 AM
Vans
Driver School Candidate

Can't go wrong with the VQ engine. It's been on Ward's list for like 50 straight years.....
Old 11-19-04, 08:22 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

im sure its relatively strong... but like most engines these days, they arent built to the potential of the 2jz. honestly the potential of the new Z33 engine doesnt even come close to the potential of the Z32. i suppose thats just my opinion though.
Old 11-19-04, 10:15 PM
sc3boost
Pole Position

Default ............................................

VANS.....whats wards list???????????????????????????
to me the 2j engines are in a leauge of there own, so to compare anything to it is pointless.
a crazy idea would be to swap a gte into a g35.
it's been a while since a carmaker put something into production that i could afford and get excited about, ie sc300 5speed, supra and now the g35 everythingelse is nice but those are the ones that were in my dreams the first time i saw them( don't act like i'm the only one who dreams about cars and women) you all need to confess
if that thing had a stout powerplant that has even half the potential of the 2js i personally think it could give the supra a run for it's money.

those guys at nissan need to pull their heads out of there asses and give a total package car, it's 2004.
Old 11-19-04, 11:41 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mmmmm G35
Old 11-20-04, 08:53 AM
Vans
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: ............................................

Originally posted by sc3boost
VANS.....whats wards list???????????????????????????
to me the 2j engines are in a leauge of there own, so to compare anything to it is pointless.
a crazy idea would be to swap a gte into a g35.
it's been a while since a carmaker put something into production that i could afford and get excited about, ie sc300 5speed, supra and now the g35 everythingelse is nice but those are the ones that were in my dreams the first time i saw them( don't act like i'm the only one who dreams about cars and women) you all need to confess
if that thing had a stout powerplant that has even half the potential of the 2js i personally think it could give the supra a run for it's money.

those guys at nissan need to pull their heads out of there asses and give a total package car, it's 2004.
The list is right here: http://subscribers.wardsauto.com/Mic...=1004&srtype=1

With a lot more detail here: http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_nissan_dohc/index.htm

And yes I was being sarcastic about the 50 straight years. But I am a big fan of Nissan in general. I frequent freshalloy too. And theres not doubt that they have come very close to producing total package cars. There most recent effort probably being the Z and the g35. Both of those have been held back by the lack of quality interior materials. But I think that as Nissan is now actually making a profit, and the biggest profit percentage wise, not gross wise(toyota has that one wrapped up), you'll see more complete package cars in the near future that include not only dynamics and engines, but also world class interiors. The new M interior is amazing. It was really the first interior that was designed when Nissan/Infiniti was actually turning a profit. Also look at the revamp of the altima interior, which used to be just hideous. But their mid-term redo was probably one of the best ever redo's.

It will be very interesting to see the next flagship for infiniti and the next G. The M has started off to be a success in japan by selling 5 times predicted numbers: http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/041116/323/f6ot4.html

Their new styling is definitely unique and of course subjective to personal opinions. and thats what they're going for... a love it or hate it type attitude. But theres no dispute about their vq engines and driving dynamics.
Old 11-20-04, 09:43 AM
sc3boost
Pole Position

Default no 2j????????????????

hey i did'nt see the 2j on wards list what gives.
i think having a sc300 spoiled me a little, now i expect every car i buy to have an insainly strong engine.
what about pricing on infiniti, do they loose their value fast,if they do i'll wait a year or two, i bought an excurtion in 2001 for 24000, and one year later it was worth half of what i paid for it. i felt like the biggest *** in florida.
Old 11-20-04, 10:43 AM
Vans
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: no 2j????????????????

Originally posted by sc3boost
hey i did'nt see the 2j on wards list what gives.
i think having a sc300 spoiled me a little, now i expect every car i buy to have an insainly strong engine.
what about pricing on infiniti, do they loose their value fast,if they do i'll wait a year or two, i bought an excurtion in 2001 for 24000, and one year later it was worth half of what i paid for it. i felt like the biggest *** in florida.
The G is in the top 10 for value retained right now. I'm not sure how the others are doing
Old 11-20-04, 11:14 AM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

I'm pretty sure it's a strong motor, too. But I'm also pretty sure the internals aren't forged like the 2jz's.
Old 11-24-04, 05:20 PM
sc3boost
Pole Position

Default ................

well i think i'll hold off on the g35 for a while

Quick Reply: g35 performance potential