Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How to avoid paying for a no-front-license plate ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-04, 06:45 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to avoid paying for a no-front-license plate ticket?

My SC was parked on a main road in front of a restaurant in Chicago and a $50 ticket for having no front license plate was left underneath the wiper blade upon my return.

I don't drive the SC very often and would hate to kill the looks of the car by adding a front license plate.

So I have two "stupid" questions: ( I understand that different jurisdictions may have different rules and regulations regarding this, but I would just like to get an idea)

1. What are the consequences of not paying the fine?

2. If a front license plate is added, can the fine be dismissed in court?

Last edited by XenonES3; 04-08-06 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-19-04, 09:06 PM
jhenty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got the same ticket but I had it in my window which I think was crap. He could have given me the warning. Go to court to see if he even shows and talk to the DA, tell them you just had your bumper painted and replaced so the plate was somewhere or another. That should get you out of it. Good luck. I'm still yet to hear the outcome of mine but they said they would take care of it.
Old 11-19-04, 09:41 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It all depends on your cities laws. Some places it is a fix it ticket so if you fix it they dismiss the ticket. Other places it is a moving violation as it is in my state so you are just out of luck. In that case if you don't pay the fine (You can also try and contest it in court if you want) you will not be able to renue your anual registration when it is due, and if you keep letting it go you will not be able to renue your drivers licesne if your expeires at that time. Just check your laws and see what type of ticket your is.
Old 11-19-04, 11:45 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

tell him that you had just applied a coat of "special wax" to protect the paint for the upcoming winter and the company says that it needs even exposure to the sun.
Old 11-20-04, 08:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree with these responses about paint, wax, etc.... on the bumper. That might work once. But it WON'T work twice. My advice?........If it DOES work, put the damn bracket and plate on, forget about it, and stop making excuses for not following the state law, even if you don't like the way it looks. You'll only lose out in the end.
Old 11-20-04, 01:37 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

search in the GS forums for a post by rominly where he used an L bracket to mount the plate, so you dont have to drill into the front of the bumper. Then you can show them you have it, but just repainted your bumper and then take it off with no damage.
Old 11-20-04, 01:57 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default ticket

Originally posted by jhenty
i got the same ticket but I had it in my window which I think was crap. He could have given me the warning. Go to court to see if he even shows and talk to the DA, tell them you just had your bumper painted and replaced so the plate was somewhere or another. That should get you out of it. Good luck. I'm still yet to hear the outcome of mine but they said they would take care of it.

I am shocked and disappointed to hear you advocate telling a lie. One lie leads to another and.....so on.
My advice is to pay your ticket. If you can afford this car you can pay for the privelege of driving without the plate. Fifty dollars is not worth the hit you'll take on your credibility.
I can't tell people what to do but I've been thinking it was time to move on. Members who lie are not my crowd. Yes, I'm taking this that seriously. I'm tired of a society where little lies are okay. They lead to more serious problems. My parents taught me pay the cost to be boss. I'm okay with you choosing to not disply your tag but you should accept the consequences that accompany that decision.

Last edited by Ice350; 11-20-04 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-20-04, 02:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

On a slightly unrelated topic, does anybody know WHY some states require front tags and some don't?
Some states, like here in VA , go even one step further by requiring dual front / rear plates AND a county windshield sticker-license besides...that is done because, by law, in VA there are no county income taxes and the county sticker fee partly takes the place of them.

The only plausible reason I can think of for dual plates is that it makes it easier for law enforcement. But then a smart bank robber or crmiminal isn't going to be dumb enough to use the car's real tags anyway. They'll most likely just screw on some bogus ones.
It also might make it a little easier for speed and red-light enforcement cameras.....but even THEN.......more and more people are using photo-blocker spray, which makes the tag number illegible.

So......can any of you guys think of any other reasons for the dual-tag laws? I cant.
Old 11-20-04, 03:09 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mmarshall
On a slightly unrelated topic, does anybody know WHY some states require front tags and some don't?
Some states, like here in VA , go even one step further by requiring dual front / rear plates AND a county windshield sticker-license besides...that is done because, by law, in VA there are no county income taxes and the county sticker fee partly takes the place of them.

The only plausible reason I can think of for dual plates is that it makes it easier for law enforcement. But then a smart bank robber or crmiminal isn't going to be dumb enough to use the car's real tags anyway. They'll most likely just screw on some bogus ones.
It also might make it a little easier for speed and red-light enforcement cameras.....but even THEN.......more and more people are using photo-blocker spray, which makes the tag number illegible.

So......can any of you guys think of any other reasons for the dual-tag laws? I cant.
Make money money money. It feels like we're losing a lot of freedom on how we get to choose to modify our cars nowadays. Although CA is by far the strictest, others (like WA) are doing it too. The front plate thing is completely stupid. If we don't want to drill holes in the front of our nice cars, I don't think we should be made to. How often is a cop going to see JUST the fron of your car, and not the rear. With the exception of something like backing into a lake, I don't see how else that applies. I'd like to ask a legislator, but I'm sure they'd give you some bogus reason.

James
Old 11-20-04, 06:08 PM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

Originally posted by mmarshall

Don't know about what its like in the US in different States, but certainly over at our end, dual tags are needed for things like speed cameras (which take a shot of the front of a violating vehicle), so they can further pocket more money.
Old 11-21-04, 12:26 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Guy's.. i will post this once more.........

Go to the hardware store and get a pair of "L" brackets. Mount from under the bumper at the top of the lower grill section and the "L" will bend out and up to hold the plate. No holes. Removal of the plate will never show a thing has been there.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 11-21-04 at 12:27 AM.
Old 11-21-04, 11:49 AM
TTEHarrier
Rookie

Originally posted by Falcon LS
Don't know about what its like in the US in different States, but certainly over at our end, dual tags are needed for things like speed cameras (which take a shot of the front of a violating vehicle), so they can further pocket more money.
Same in Vancouver, Canada
Old 11-21-04, 12:28 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it pays to play, if you dont want to keep on paying for front license plate tickets, then put your plate in. i suggest the L bracket idea if you dont want holes in your front bumper