Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Online Car Mediation Services

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-04, 08:45 AM
Vampire3eb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Online Car Mediation Services

Found this too-good-to-be-true deal on eBay so I emailed the seller just to make sure what I was seeing was true. By the time he replied, the auction was no longer listed b/c someone had contacted him and the seller thought it was going to go through but it didn't. So I've been exchanging emails with him and I'm really nervous about the whole thing. The seller is overseas in Greece. If I wanted to get a CarFax, is that possible? Or is that only something in the US?

Do you guys know of any online services that act as a mediator? That way, the mediator can hold my money until the car arrives and when everything is ok, the mediator can wire the money to the seller? I've never bought something of this magnitude online so I want to be sure to cover my bases. I wouldn't mind paying a service fee or anything. Since the auction is no longer listed, I feel less secure now that there is no binding contract that an eBay auction provides. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys and gals!

Thanks a bunch,
Pat

PS. I want to buy the car as a present for my mom b/c she never does anything for herself!
Old 11-21-04, 10:13 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful on Ebay, A LOT of scams out there. Especially overseas transactions.

Good luck.
Old 11-21-04, 11:14 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Hmm..if I read your post correctly, you saw a car on Ebay. The auction "ends", but you stayed in contact with the seller (who lives in Greece) via private email. Now he claims the other bidder fell through and is willing to sell to you? I absolutely, positively would NOT buy from this person. Sounds shady to me. And on a side note...is it possible to buy a car for your mom in the US? Why buy all the way from Greece? Even if it were a real offer, how did you plan on paying to ship the car over? I say don't do it.
Old 11-21-04, 02:15 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

I would never buy a car overseas unless I was absolutely sure that it is a trusted seller. This sounds like a scam to me, you are better off just looking for another car.