Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

’06 Pontiac G6 Coupe/Conv. Spy Shots

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-04, 06:08 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts
Default ’06 Pontiac G6 Coupe/Conv. Spy Shots

Outdoing the Oprah factor, one hardtop convertible at a time.
by Brenda Priddy (2004-11-22)

Oprah isn't the only one showing off the new Pontiac G6. But Oprah only had the sedans, and we've caught the upcoming convertible and coupe versions.

The sporty coupe will reach dealerships in early 2005, but the convertible will not make its retail appearance until the third quarter of 2005 as a 2006 model.

The convertible, with an annual projection of 40,000 sales, will be equipped with a retractable hardtop, much like those on models priced far more expensively. No word on powerplants, but a V-6 with at least 250 hp is expected.

source : thecarconnection.com
Old 11-22-04, 09:02 AM
BLexACK LS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is some wicked eye hurting camo
Old 11-22-04, 01:51 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Wow this car is getting some great publicity due the Oprah thing. For the next few years it'll be "the Oprah car" and people will always remember it for that. Any publicity is good, even if the car is aimed to be muscular and mean and is associated with a woman. I don't know if it's the Picasso Zebra camo or it just looks kind of awkward, but I'm not really liking the shape of it with the top down. The hard top G6s seem like pretty decent mid-size cars. Maybe a step-up from the rental car level like the Grand-Ams were.

James
Old 11-22-04, 04:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The G6, for a Pontiac, doesn't look very impressive to me. They took off too much of the body cladding. Body cladding is what makes a Pontiac, style-wise. Same problem, to a lesser extent, with the new Grand Prix and Bonneville (not enough cladding) , and of course the Vibe...which is not even a Pontiac to start with but a Toyota. Yes...you could say the Grand-Am's body cladding was cheap, quality-wise, and not attached very well......but it REALLY added to the car's looks......and the Grand Am's big sales figures proved it. The new G6, in comparison, looks like something out of a funeral home.

Needless to say, I think Pontiac made a mistake taking the body cladding off its cars...and I know that in saying this I go against a lot of the opinions of the automotive press. But...look at last year's GTO. What was the CHIEF complaint, and why didn't it sell better? "Too PLAIN looking". A lot of people didn't think it had enough trim and cladding. GM is addressing that problem on the 2005 GTO with scoops and more body trim.
Old 11-22-04, 05:03 PM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

dont like it..
Old 11-22-04, 07:03 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by mmarshall
The G6, for a Pontiac, doesn't look very impressive to me. They took off too much of the body cladding. Body cladding is what makes a Pontiac, style-wise. Same problem, to a lesser extent, with the new Grand Prix and Bonneville (not enough cladding) , and of course the Vibe...which is not even a Pontiac to start with but a Toyota. Yes...you could say the Grand-Am's body cladding was cheap, quality-wise, and not attached very well......but it REALLY added to the car's looks......and the Grand Am's big sales figures proved it. The new G6, in comparison, looks like something out of a funeral home.

Needless to say, I think Pontiac made a mistake taking the body cladding off its cars...and I know that in saying this I go against a lot of the opinions of the automotive press. But...look at last year's GTO. What was the CHIEF complaint, and why didn't it sell better? "Too PLAIN looking". A lot of people didn't think it had enough trim and cladding. GM is addressing that problem on the 2005 GTO with scoops and more body trim.
This suprises me from you, but I respect your opinion. Body cladding is what has made Pontiac suck so badly over the years. I was so happy to finally see it go. It always looked like they were building Batmobiles. I can see your point that they may now look too plain but I wouldn't want to see the ribs come back. Perhaps some subtle surface lines can more tastefully add to the body.

Old 11-23-04, 05:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by JLSC4
This suprises me from you, but I respect your opinion. Body cladding is what has made Pontiac suck so badly over the years. I was so happy to finally see it go. It always looked like they were building Batmobiles. I can see your point that they may now look too plain but I wouldn't want to see the ribs come back. Perhaps some subtle surface lines can more tastefully add to the body.

Well, JLSC, you're partly right................that's not to say that Pontiac had GOOD cladding. Like a lot of GM hardware, it was cheap, tinny, poorly finished, and loosely applied. Often it had to be re-attached every couple of years at the body shop. But, in many ways, it made a Pontiac a Pontiac. It sold cars. The Grand-Am, which was probably the prime example of the stuff....was one of GM's most consistently best-selling cars, due in large part to the boy-racer looks the cladding offered. In addition, it helped protect the doors from parking-lot dings.

You are not alone, though. As I noted in my last post, the auto press never liked the stuff. Like you, they're glad it's gone.
Old 11-23-04, 05:25 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks totally plain and unremarkable for a performance-oriented car. Even the red Solara next to it looks to have more character in comparison.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 11-23-04 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-23-04, 07:17 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by BLexACK LS
that is some wicked eye hurting camo
It's a wicked ugly car.

M.
Old 11-23-04, 07:43 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by whipimpin
It's a wicked ugly car.

M.
LMAO...

I think this is a mediocre car with the stupidest tag line "ever": "The FIRST EVER G6!"

What does that mean? What's the concept behind it? What difference does it make if the first or fifty-first G6? They've got bigger problems to worry about...Problem like, for example, "this car is destined to to be a star at an Avis Rental Center near you!"

Old 11-24-04, 11:18 AM
jet864
Lexus Champion

I see what you're saying, but in all honesty, I doubt Pontiac cares if there cars go to Avis or you. If they sell units, they sell units. They still have the whole line of Grand Prixs that are too upper scale to be rentals. Also, the whole Oprah thing, that isn't hurting them a bit!

James