Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota plans hybrid versions of every nameplate in lineup

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-04, 08:16 AM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota plans hybrid versions of every nameplate in lineup

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101275

Toyota planning to develop hybrid versions of every nameplate in lineup
JAMES B. TREECE | Automotive News
Posted Date: 11/22/04
TOKYO -- Toyota Motor Corp. plans to develop hybrid versions of every nameplate in its lineup. But the schedule has not been set.

"Everything is up in the air," says Shin Kanada, Toyota managing officer in charge of public affairs. Fuel-efficient hybrids use both an internal combustion engine and an electric motor to power the wheels.

The decision to assemble the Prius hybrid in China has thrown the previous hybrid launch schedule into turmoil, he says. He would not say when the schedule would be sorted out.

Kanada was commenting on a report in Japan's Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun newspaper about the company's hybrid schedule. That report said Toyota plans to begin producing hybrid versions of the Japan-market Aristo, known as the Lexus GS in the United States, in spring.

The article said a hybrid Camry is coming in 2006; a hybrid Celsior, known as the Lexus LS in the United States, will arrive in 2007; and a hybrid Corolla in 2008 would follow.

Production of hybrid versions of the Toyota Highlander and Lexus RX400h, called the Toyota Harrier in Japan, will begin early next year. U.S. sales of the RX400h start April 15.

Toyota sources also have said the company is considering a hybrid version of the Sienna minivan that is built in the United States.

The schedule "depends on customers' demands," says Kazuo Okamoto, Toyota's senior managing director in charge of product development, design, r&d and technical administration. But "in 20 or 40 years," all of Toyota's lineup will be based on hybrids, he says. "That's our intention. And it won't just be Toyota. All makers will have hybrids."

"The future," he says, "will be a hybrid society."
Old 11-22-04, 08:44 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Shocked...

I'm not sure what it is...

Perhaps "Big Brother" mind surveillance...

Perhaps God hates me, and wants to make sure I suffer before I die...

That report said Toyota plans to begin producing hybrid versions of the Japan-market Aristo, known as the Lexus GS in the United States, in spring.

Why? Why, God? Why, Mr. Toyoda?

I was willing to make an exception for the NA-built RX, as it is a large-volume model. But the GS is not large-volume and a hybrid version will probably sell even fewer unit.

This is a dark day for Lexus fans, I think, or for me at least. I never gave much thought to them moving GS production out of Tahara, because once that happens, I thought, the end of the world will quickly ensue.

Tahara? Do you know what that name MEANS? And now? Now what? Lexus' RWD sport/touring sedan will be built in Kentucky?

It used to be corporate DOCTRINE that Lexus would be made nowhere but Japan.

I'm truly distrubed by this, because the implications are enormous. What's next? I guess nothing is sacred over there any more...

Maybe blame the yen/dollar exchange? This is really testing me, and I don't know how much longer I can support Lexus as a fan if this goes on. Strong, ACTIVE Japanese roots are what makes me give love to Lexus.

This...this is simply not cool.

Old 11-22-04, 08:57 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Shocked...

Originally posted by wantAnewLex

That report said Toyota plans to begin producing hybrid versions of the Japan-market Aristo, known as the Lexus GS in the United States, in spring.
What's wrong with a GS Hybrid? I'm actually looking forward to this.

If you are against the GS being built in the US, then please reread the statement. All it is saying is the the Aristo is known ans the GS in the US. I think you read too fast to notice the puntuation.
Old 11-22-04, 09:04 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Re: Re: Shocked...

Originally posted by Neo
What's wrong with a GS Hybrid? I'm actually looking forward to this.

If you are against the GS being built in the US, then please reread the statement. All it is saying is the the Aristo is known ans the GS in the US. I think you read too fast to notice the puntuation.
OWWWWWWWNED

I read the statement a couple of times, but my paranoid mind interpreted it differently.

I have nothing against a GS hybrid, I'm actually really excited about an all-hybrid line from Toyota...As long as the GS is made in Japan...
Old 11-22-04, 09:19 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

From what i saw at the taste of luxury..the hybrids wont take anything/little away from the performance...

CEO
Old 11-22-04, 09:27 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Shocked...

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
OWWWWWWWNED

I read the statement a couple of times, but my paranoid mind interpreted it differently.

I have nothing against a GS hybrid, I'm actually really excited about an all-hybrid line from Toyota...As long as the GS is made in Japan...
LOL! I'm glad I was able to put your mind at ease. It does not mean Toyota won't in the future do what you are afraid of. It just is not in this statement.