Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top Gear road test of E60 M5

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-04, 08:43 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Top Gear road test of E60 M5

"You see, hell is really going to have to raise its game to get me to start using it as a metaphor for what happens when you start making full use of the M5. Because I'm here to tell you that this is one of the most devastating cars I've ever driven."
http://www.topgear.com/jsp/individua...Number=28.html
Old 11-22-04, 09:07 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"On every objective scale, the new M5 obliterates. It takes what we previously considered supercars and belittles them, patronises them into insignificance with the kind of confidence born of constant measurement and, possibly, coloured graphs. It is obsessive in its superiority and complete in its authority. And yet there's something bugging me.

I don't want one.

The M5 is a masterpiece. Of engineering, of integration, of power. But there's still a nagging doubt in my mind that it has sacrificed its soul for such domination. There's no charm, no warming glow. There's no furtive grin when you realise that you have an engine that is slightly too powerful for your chassis, no element of delight when your suspension setup exceeds the output of your engine. The bar has simply been raised for all performance cars. It's a geeky response to criticism, this complete elimination of imperfection. It's the tick-the-box approach to making a car empirically better, rather than making it feel right. And that, ultimately, takes the joy out of what is currently the best performance saloon in the world. "

Interesting comment at the end...sounds like the M5 is another great German creation...very precise and mechanical..just lacks the emotional pull that the Italian cars have.
Old 11-22-04, 09:14 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Interesting comment at the end...sounds like the M5 is another great German creation...very precise and mechanical..just lacks the emotional pull that the Italian cars have.
I'll buy it an air freshner. I WANT ONE
Old 11-22-04, 09:36 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by tetra7
"On every objective scale, the new M5 obliterates. It takes what we previously considered supercars and belittles them, patronises them into insignificance with the kind of confidence born of constant measurement and, possibly, coloured graphs. It is obsessive in its superiority and complete in its authority. And yet there's something bugging me.

I don't want one.

The M5 is a masterpiece. Of engineering, of integration, of power. But there's still a nagging doubt in my mind that it has sacrificed its soul for such domination. There's no charm, no warming glow. There's no furtive grin when you realise that you have an engine that is slightly too powerful for your chassis, no element of delight when your suspension setup exceeds the output of your engine. The bar has simply been raised for all performance cars. It's a geeky response to criticism, this complete elimination of imperfection. It's the tick-the-box approach to making a car empirically better, rather than making it feel right. And that, ultimately, takes the joy out of what is currently the best performance saloon in the world. "

Wow, a German car lacks soul and emotion
I think it has more to do with the looks inside and out. It is very polorizing and more uhhh than wow...

Old 11-22-04, 09:39 PM
LexFather

And yes, I have every major mag article on this car. I'd still cop one if I could

Old 11-22-04, 09:49 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow, a German car lacks soul and emotion
I think it has more to do with the looks inside and out. It is very polorizing and more uhhh than wow...
Well at least the body style of the Porsche makes me salivate...the M5 gets props for technical performance. But I dunno bout you, I just get this weird creepy feeling when I see some 40 year old guy drive up next to me in an M5. It just gives me a strange sensation of a National Lampoons vacation gone upscale.

M5 body style = rounded box w/ a BIG *** ENGINE
Old 11-22-04, 09:53 PM
LexFather

Well at least the body style of the Porsche makes me salivate...the M5 gets props for technical performance. But I dunno bout you, I just get this weird creepy feeling when I see some 40 year old guy drive up next to me in an M5. It just gives me a strange sensation of a National Lampoons vacation gone upscale.

M5 body style = rounded box w/ a BIG *** ENGINE
I see a guy that can do everything the Porsche does with his family and a trunk full of stuff from the mall with cheaper insurance and a V-10 sound that only sex can replicate

Old 11-22-04, 09:55 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

I see a guy that can do everything the Porsche does with his family and a trunk full of stuff from the mall with cheaper insurance and a V-10 sound that only sex can replicate

Ewwww..you said the "F" word

Old 11-23-04, 06:21 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

his player card got pulled! hehe!

CEO
Old 11-23-04, 09:34 AM
LexFather

Originally posted by THE_CEO
his player card got pulled! hehe!

CEO

Fellaz, I meantI see a guy that can do everything the Porsche does with his freaks and a trunk full of toys from the playboy.com with cheaper insurance and a V-10 sound that only sex with those same freaks in the car can replicate

Ahh better

Old 11-23-04, 09:38 AM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Fellaz, I meantI see a guy that can do everything the Porsche does with his freaks and a trunk full of toys from the playboy.com with cheaper insurance and a V-10 sound that only sex with those same freaks in the car can replicate

Ahh better
Nice recover!
Old 11-25-04, 11:45 AM
legendary
Racer

Originally posted by O. L. T.
I'll buy it an air freshner. I WANT ONE