Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Oh yes, they're turning Japanese...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-04, 11:46 AM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by CleanSC
With those lights and fenders it looks like they are paying more attention to the Ford Focus than anything else...

Very well spotted! I can clearly see where you're coming from on that.
Old 11-24-04, 11:48 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Re: Re: Oh yes, they're turning Japanese...

Originally posted by XeroK00L

That said, I think the new S is again going to be a huge success, with no problem fending off competitions from the to-be-old LS, 7 and A8, until the next LS arrives.
Not sure how relevant this will be b/c the only makers left that gives free maintenance are BMW and Mitsubishi???

Don't know if people will be running away from Mercedes since they will be dropping the free maintenance on all their models for 06? I'm sure the loyal ones will stay.

And the cd changer is still an option?

I don't even think the 7 series still have the corny cassette player. Anybody have any updates on how reliable the 04/05 7 series are compared to the horrid 02s?

"I agree, my love for that vehicle styling could make me overlook M/B's electrical gremlins! Just so clean and elegant"

Last edited by GS3Tek; 11-24-04 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-24-04, 03:17 PM
iloveGS300
Driver

Originally posted by DC52E55
i am not quite sure that japanese has the best design for automobiles.
Nope. This area of expertise comes from the Germans and British. Err... not newer BMWS though.

Robert

Last edited by iloveGS300; 11-24-04 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-24-04, 03:26 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by iloveGS300
Nope. This area of expertise comes from the Germans and British. Err... not newer BMWS though.

Robert
And don't forget the Italian designs.
Old 11-24-04, 05:16 PM
LexFather

Well it is hard to come out with an original design. When it does, YOU WILL KNOW as tons copy. With cars sold globally now and with car companies now having employees from all over the world, cars do look alike. Especially since they all are done on a computer.

I've said it for 3 years now. Germans cars are looking Japanese and Japanese cars are looking German. Some Japanese cars now have very short, German overhangs. German cars have this big headlights and longer overhangs. Those are just a couple cues.

Orginal=Audi TT, Maserati Quattroporte, Lexus SC 300/400 off the top of my head.

Old 11-24-04, 06:52 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
I have heard that some Toyotas (such as the new Solara) were designed in the States but I have not heard anything about Lexus models being designed in Toyota's American or French studios.

But regardless of where they are designed, most of the design chiefs are Japanese.
you are right about the chiefs but the some of the designs did come from outside japan.. the SC300/4 came out of CALTY, the new one came from the European studio, the GS300 was a pininfarina design..
Old 11-25-04, 08:14 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by CleanSC
With those lights and fenders it looks like they are paying more attention to the Ford Focus than anything else...

LOL!! That's where they got the desin from!!
Old 11-26-04, 07:55 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally posted by joshthorsc
LOL!! That's where they got the desin from!!
Twins, I tell ya.
Old 11-27-04, 07:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

This is just my opinion, not necessarily fact, but I have never been a fan of those triangular up-sweep headlights that sweep up the sides of the hood....they are U-G-L-Y. They are being used on more and more vehicles now. Perhaps the new Prius is the most extreme example.....the headlights go almost back to the rear of the hood. Orther extreme examples are the Lexus ES330, the Camry, the Honda Accord, and the last-generation Focus.
IMO, these upsweep triangular designs should be tossed out, and the handsome rectangular designs of the early-to-mid 1990's brought back.
Fortunately , Audi still pretty much uses the rectangular headlight design, but oh, that new grille
Old 11-27-04, 08:07 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally posted by mmarshall
This is just my opinion, not necessarily fact, but I have never been a fan of those triangular up-sweep headlights that sweep up the sides of the hood....they are U-G-L-Y. They are being used on more and more vehicles now. Perhaps the new Prius is the most extreme example.....the headlights go almost back to the rear of the hood. Orther extreme examples are the Lexus ES330, the Camry, the Honda Accord, and the last-generation Focus.
IMO, these upsweep triangular designs should be tossed out, and the handsome rectangular designs of the early-to-mid 1990's brought back.
Fortunately , Audi still pretty much uses the rectangular headlight design, but oh, that new grille
I'm with you on this one... Don't forget other offenders by Toyota... The Solara's back lights (which went just plain OOOGLY with the redesign) and the one that started it all: The Celica.

Speaking of the Solara, what happened with that car? The interior is atrocious and the bubbly lights are just offensive. It was such a handsome car.

Agreed they need to bring back the sweet horizontal lights of yore. Lights like the SC3/4, first gen GS, older Accords, etc. This is one reason why I love the FX and TL... They didn't fall into the ugly light syndrome.
Old 11-27-04, 09:43 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

The profile looks similar the lights on the benz are alittle lager though

J