Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Has to put this in into their NAV ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-04, 08:06 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
salespeople are usually the last ones to know about the cars they're selling no kidding.
Yeah, I know that's normally the case, but this guy seemed to know a bit more than most. Anyway, here's something I posted on another board.

Originally posted by myself
Went with my friend to test drive the Acura RL tonight. Wow, that is truly an amazing car. Heavy car, but that engine makes the thing fly. Although I didn't drive, I was sitting in the back, and when my friend stomped on the accelerator, I literally flew back in my seat. The voice command is great, and the leather is probably the best quality leather I've ever felt, next to S-Class leather. Count me as a believer in SH-AWD now, too. The car very planted even going around bends at fairly high speeds. The only things I didn't like were the somewhat cramped rear seat (still comparable to most other cars in its class) and the relatively smallish trunk. The sunroof was pretty poorly designed, too. It's not one-touch, which is pretty inexcusable for a $50k car, despite what else it comes with, and when you close it, it's hard to tell when to let go, because it starts to tilt up. The salesman thought it was something that was purposely poorly designed so they'd have something to improve for the second year. Anyway, despite all that, a very excellent car, and one definitely worth considering.

Now for the rumors. The salesman said he spoke to an Acura rep, one who told him two years ago what the RL would be like now. In short, he trusts the guy, so hopefully what he said is true. Anyway, he said there will be a new NSX out, and that CAR magazine was wrong. He also said that Acura is experimenting with a V8, based on the one they have in the racing events. Lastly, he said that when he asked why the RL is no longer considered Acura's flagship, and asked if there would be a 7-series/S-Class fighter coming out, the Acura rep indicated without actually saying that there would be one. He also predicted that the RL would get a hybrid version later and that SH-AWD would be coming to the TL. I think this last one is reasonable, and would expect it within two years. The other rumors I'm not so sure about. I do think it'd be great if Acura had a Boxster fighter, especially if Honda really does drop the S2000. And if Acura really does make a larger flagship car, I wouldn't surprised to see them make it a V6 hybrid with SH-AWD, since that'd cut down on development costs.
Old 11-27-04, 02:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
As Globe stated, for 50k image means a lot. The RL has none. Yes, its an improvement over its awfully lame predecessor (which doesn't help image either). So has the competition improved. Besides, add some Altezzas and you can have that image you want.
Not having driven either yet, I'd say that if I was offered a choice between this new RL and a new 06 GS300, I think I'd take the RL!
Old 11-27-04, 03:16 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Not having driven either yet, I'd say that if I was offered a choice between this new RL and a new 06 GS300, I think I'd take the RL!
That's 'cause you're an all-in-one gadget freak. Watch out kids, Paul is going to the dark side!
Old 11-27-04, 09:15 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Sorry Bit, no way in hell I would do that. I think of the RL and its like getting excited over a grilled cheese sandwich that is "just as good" as Angus beef according to the 99cents menu.....

Old 11-27-04, 10:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Sorry Bit, no way in hell I would do that. I think of the RL and its like getting excited over a grilled cheese sandwich that is "just as good" as Angus beef according to the 99cents menu.....
Well YOU know I in fact prefer grilled cheese to Angus beef... LOL

Anyway, can't wait to take a good look at both soon (not that I'm likely to buy either one).
Old 11-28-04, 06:47 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Incendiary
The sunroof was pretty poorly designed, too. It's not one-touch, which is pretty inexcusable for a $50k car, .
I think you need to check it out again. According to Acura's website is is a one touch open and close sunroof. They even go on to explain how it will stop closing when it senses an obtruction. It is possible that the one you rode in was not yet programmed. I'm not sure if that is the case, but I know many of the new Lexus cars incuding the one I own needed to be programmed to activate the one touch feature. Obviously the dealers usually do this before delivery, but sometimes they miss it.
Old 11-28-04, 12:14 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by CK6Speed
I think you need to check it out again. According to Acura's website is is a one touch open and close sunroof. They even go on to explain how it will stop closing when it senses an obtruction. It is possible that the one you rode in was not yet programmed. I'm not sure if that is the case, but I know many of the new Lexus cars incuding the one I own needed to be programmed to activate the one touch feature. Obviously the dealers usually do this before delivery, but sometimes they miss it.
Let's hope that's it, 'cuz three of us couldn't get it to work properly...
Old 11-28-04, 02:23 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

The Mark Levinson I had in my SC430 had a TRAF button on it for traffic talk and updates. I never used it since I live in a rural area. I know it's not as cool as the feature built into the NAV of the new RL, but at least it's something.
The RL is a GREAT car. Drove one while my NSX was having oil change. The guages, leather, features are amazing and the SH-AWD is incredible. It's totally rumor and speculation, but the story I've read and heard was that the new HSC concept is slated to be a Boxster fighter in the $45-50K range and the new NSX and "7 series figther" flagship models will have V8s and will bow in a couple of years.

Congrats Dseag2, on your new RL. I think you'll be VERY pleased with it!!! Take care.
Old 11-28-04, 05:39 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by CK6Speed
Actually, are you sure it said one-touch? I only saw "power sliding" moonroof on the website...
Old 11-28-04, 06:59 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Doc C
It's totally rumor and speculation, but the story I've read and heard was that the new HSC concept is slated to be a Boxster fighter in the $45-50K range and the new NSX and "7 series figther" flagship models will have V8s and will bow in a couple of years.

let's hope so

i hope honda will built V8 for production cars in a few years
Old 11-28-04, 09:31 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Incendiary
Actually, are you sure it said one-touch? I only saw "power sliding" moonroof on the website...
I think I found it in the interactive showroom. As you click on different things the narrator voice explains the feature. I don't think it was in print, just the voice describing it.