Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Has to put this in into their NAV ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-04, 11:46 PM
DKNY
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Has to put this in into their NAV ASAP

XM NAVraffic
http://the40s.xmradio.com/xmnavtraffic/index.jsp

50 Hours per Year Wasted
For years, drivers have relied on radio traffic reports for current traffic conditions. These reports are quick snapshots of traffic conditions, highlighting only a few major events. The ability of a driver to plan or change a travel route based on these reports is limited by the information provided. As a result, the average rush hour driver spends over 50 hours per year sitting idle in traffic*, slowly crawling towards a destination. While traffic will always be a factor, the lack of detailed traffic information for a metro market is no longer a problem. The future of traffic information has arrived with the new XM NavTraffic™ service.

Nation's 1st Satellite Data Traffic Service
XM NavTraffic™, powered by NAVTEQ Traffic™, is the nation's first satellite-based data traffic information service that enables a vehicle's on-board GPS navigation system to display current traffic information for select metropolitan areas, including a driver's chosen route. A driver can now see the location specific traffic detail not only at their current location, but also along their planned travel route.

XM NavTraffic - Comprehensive Data Service
Traffic flow information (the actual traffic speed data provided by various local sources) - where available

Unscheduled traffic incident data, such as accidents, disabled vehicles, and weather-related issues

Scheduled traffic incident data, such as road construction and road closures
Setting the Standard for Traffic Information
XM NavTraffic and NAVTEQ Traffic are setting the standard as the next-generation technology platform for traffic information, designed for flexible industry-wide adoption by automakers and aftermarket system manufacturers.

1st Nation-Wide Data Traffic Service
XM NavTraffic, powered by NAVTEQ Traffic, is the 1st nationwide satellite-based data traffic information service that enables an overlay of current traffic conditions. The best available traffic information, aggregated by NAVTEQ Traffic from multiple sources, is provided via continuous satellite broadcast to an on-board vehicle navigation system.

Traffic Between You & Your Destination
Previously, GPS navigation systems calculated routes to a destination, with no knowledge of true traffic conditions along the planned route. XM NavTraffic provides detailed NAVTEQ Traffic information overlaid on the navigation road map, allowing the navigation system to show the traffic conditions between you and your destination.

XM NavTraffic Information
Roadways for which traffic flow information is available are shown by color-coding to indicate directional traffic flow speed. Accidents, road construction or other incidents affecting traffic are graphically represented on the navigation map with an icon at the location of the incident. Information relating to a traffic incident is also available including the precise location, lanes affected, and the predicted duration.

Benefits of XM NavTraffic:
Traffic flow data, indicating the average traffic speed along major highways (where available)
"Personalized Traffic Information" for current location and destination
Visual presentation for clear "at-a-glance" communication
Advanced notification of congestion along traveled route
Aids a driver to re-route around upcoming congestion
Traffic Aggregator: NAVTEQ Traffic
NAVTEQ Traffic delivers seamless traffic flow and incident information for the XM NavTraffic service. NAVTEQ Traffic provides data that has been aggregated from multiple sources across the country, including the leading commercial traffic data providers, government departments of transportation, police & emergency services, road sensors, cameras and real-time aircraft reports. NAVTEQ Traffic performs extensive data quality processing to provide the most complete and accurate nationwide traffic information feed. The traffic data is continuously broadcast via XM's network of satellites and ground-based repeaters, ensuring that the latest information is available to the driver.

Designed as the Industry Standard
The XM NavTraffic service has been designed as an industry standard for flexible integration into a variety of navigation platforms regardless of map database support. The new 2005 Acura RL will have the XM NavTraffic service as standard equipment. Other new vehicle announcements as well as aftermarket products supporting the XM NavTraffic service are expected in the near future.

20 Market Launch and Growing
XM NavTraffic, supported by NAVTEQ Traffic, will broadcast nationally the traffic information for 20 markets with the launch of the new 2005 Acura RL. Full coverage maps.
Old 11-25-04, 12:32 AM
LexFather

The RL needs a V-8 ASAP

Old 11-25-04, 04:17 AM
DKNY
Rookie

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
The RL needs a V-8 ASAP
I agree even though its producing 300 Horsepower
Old 11-25-04, 05:51 AM
LexFather

It is a very nice feature. In Atlanta we have these giant electronic billboards that post up to date info hanging over the highways. I am sure this new NAV will get this info.

Old 11-25-04, 07:39 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Wink

Originally posted by DKNY
I agree even though its producing 300 Horsepower
...and I'm sure neither one of you have driven one.
Old 11-25-04, 02:25 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Originally posted by dseag2
. . .and I'm sure that's mostly irrelevant.
Old 11-25-04, 02:55 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

The RL needs a V-8 ASAP
I think it needs more than that.
Old 11-25-04, 03:46 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about the V8 aside from an image point only. I drove the new 05 RL and it had more than enough power. It definately is a lot quicker/faster than my SC400. Granted, I only have the 250HP version SC400, but still it is a V8 right? The RL accelerates well, revs nicely and smoothly. I'm sure the GS400/430 and newer SC400 would fair better than my older SC400 though.
Old 11-25-04, 05:45 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by CK6Speed
I don't know about the V8 aside from an image point only. I drove the new 05 RL and it had more than enough power. It definately is a lot quicker/faster than my SC400. Granted, I only have the 250HP version SC400, but still it is a V8 right? The RL accelerates well, revs nicely and smoothly. I'm sure the GS400/430 and newer SC400 would fair better than my older SC400 though.
yes the V8 is probably for image only. But for a luxury car, sometimes image the most important thing for that brand (MB and BMW)
Old 11-26-04, 10:43 AM
LexFather

As Globe stated, for 50k image means a lot. The RL has none. Yes, its an improvement over its awfully lame predecessor (which doesn't help image either). So has the competition improved. Besides, add some Altezzas and you can have that image you want.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus Has to put this in into their NAV ASAP-vtec_just-_kicked_in.jpg  

Old 11-27-04, 12:14 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Went with my friend to test drive it today. Wow, what an amazing car. Very fast, very powerful, and very planted through corners. I could find very little to criticize.

Go test drive the car before complaining about the lack of a V8. And while we're on the issue, based on what the salesman told me, I wouldn't be too surprised to see one out within two-three years...
Old 11-27-04, 12:21 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

congrats on your new RL i really like new RL a lot

how do you like it so far?
Old 11-27-04, 12:23 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

As Globe stated, for 50k image means a lot. The RL has none. Yes, its an improvement over its awfully lame predecessor (which doesn't help image either). So has the competition improved. Besides, add some Altezzas and you can have that image you want.
that picture is classic LOL
Old 11-27-04, 02:10 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Incendiary
based on what the salesman told me, I wouldn't be too surprised to see one out within two-three years...
salespeople are usually the last ones to know about the cars they're selling no kidding.
Old 11-27-04, 06:07 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
salespeople are usually the last ones to know about the cars they're selling no kidding.

Quick Reply: Lexus Has to put this in into their NAV ASAP