Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan to target under-25 buyers with inexpensive, new small car for U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-04, 07:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Nissan to target under-25 buyers with inexpensive, new small car for U.S.

Nissan may add the next-generation Cube to its U.S. small-car lineup. The current model is shown.

YUZO YAMAGUCHI | Automotive News
Posted Date: 11/29/04

TOKYO -- A small car that Nissan will add to its U.S. lineup in 2007 will target young buyers who want to pay about $13,000.

"Our target is Generation Y - children of Generation X - aged between 20 and 25 years old," said Norio Matsumura, Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.'s executive vice president in charge of Japan operations and global marketing, at a press event here last week.

The compact car will be priced below the Sentra. It may be the next-generation Nissan Cube, a boxy car sold in Japan.

"An average price for the Sentra has been up to $17,000," Matsumura said. "We have no cars in a segment priced from $12,000 and $13,000."

Korean automakers have found a niche selling small, inexpensive cars in the United States. Toyota Motor Corp. launched Scion to reach youthful customers.

Matsumura didn't elaborate on Nissan's plan, but the company has said that it won't establish a channel such as Scion.

But Matsumura is sure about one thing: Nissan "won't sell a (compact) car that won't make profits."

To make it profitable, he expects engineers and suppliers to cut costs.

Given that, the small car would be a global car to be cost competitive. The model would support Nissan's three-year plan that starts in April.

Under the plan, Nissan aims to sell 4.2 million vehicles a year worldwide by the fiscal year ending March 31, 2008. That's up from the 3.4 million that Nissan plans to sell in the current fiscal year ending March 31.

Source : autoweek
Old 11-30-04, 08:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

It is obviously aimed right at the Scion xB....but like Toyota found out with the Echo and both the Scion xA and xB, (the jury's still out on the tC), Nissan may end up surprised at who actually BUYS the Cube.
The Echo and Scions were aimed primarily at the so-called "hip" young people, but the actual sales figures reflect a large percentage of older folks.....even senior citizens...who are looking for quality at a cheap price. And...providing that one doesn't mind driving around in a motorized shoe box, the xB makes a lot of sense for many senior citizens. It is cheap, appealing to those on fixed-incomes, well-built, easy to see out of with the boxy styling and huge windows, and will carry a lot of stuff for those who like to haul things.
Many of these same characteristics will also apply to the Nissan Cube, so it will interesting to see who actually buys it.
Old 11-30-04, 08:38 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

O boy, here comes the copycats. I was hoping Nissan would stop copying Toyota/Lexus designs, but I see that wont happen. It looks like a modern day milk truck.
Old 11-30-04, 08:45 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I think even though that toyota didnt expect older ppl to buy the xB, I beleive the majority of its owners are still the young or in the older ppls case, the young at heart.
Old 11-30-04, 10:25 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That thing is even uglier.
Old 11-30-04, 12:08 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

The size and market-target of the xB coupled with the rancid looks of the Element. Sexy.

Will it also throw in the loose assembly in Mexico? Wow, I'll take 2!
Old 11-30-04, 12:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by Milla...
That thing is even uglier.
Nobody ever said the xB and Cube were good-looking.
Old 11-30-04, 12:41 PM
Ditto
Pole Position

Do they have that in brown? That looks like a mini UPS delivery truck.
Old 11-30-04, 01:22 PM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

that car is just plain nasty
Old 11-30-04, 03:22 PM
LexFather

I like the Cube. I like the Xb. The Honda Element is atrocious. And with the avg age of that buyer near 50, Honda missed Gen X/Y like the %^*(*_ Yankees missed going to the World Series.

Nissan is doing a good job with younger buyers. The 350Z, G35s, Atlimas, Muranos, etc all are very eye-catching designs no matter if you think they are ugly or beautiful or if they resemble other car makers more expensive cars.. They also have done a good job of stuffing the VQ in every model for those that do want extra power. The Sentra has flopped for the past 10 years. The last solid one was the 1990-94 model with the award winning SE-R.

Not sure if the Cube though, is where Nissan wants to go. A nice small coupe (the Micra maybe) would be cool too. People don't buy boxy Nissans. They buy the stylistic ones.

Old 11-30-04, 03:28 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

I think the Honda Element and the Scion xB had a baby
Old 11-30-04, 03:29 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by 0l33l
I think the Honda Element and the Scion xB had a baby
That was funny.

Old 11-30-04, 04:28 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
That was funny.
Thanks
Old 11-30-04, 10:20 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by magneto112
O boy, here comes the copycats. I was hoping Nissan would stop copying Toyota/Lexus designs, but I see that wont happen. It looks like a modern day milk truck.
The Cube has been out in Japan for a long time, and IIRC is a very hot seller. I don't know if it came out before the xB or the Element, but I suspect it may have.