Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Heel Toe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-04, 02:57 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heel Toe?

How are you guys doing it? I just can't seem to twist my foot in that direction easily. I heard that your suppose to lower or raise the pedals so they are even. It sucks going in through a turn and not being able to shoot out of it the way I want to. Thanks

-Anthony
Old 11-30-04, 03:32 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Its pretty easy, just takes some practice. But then again, if you have smaller feet it may be harder. I tend to focus more on the brake than the gas, cause afterall, if you give it too much gas...no big deal, and a little too less gas...no big deal. But if you mess up with the brake, something bad can happen
Old 11-30-04, 03:36 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

the thing is that my feet aren't that small (11). It is hard to twist the foot in to that angle. Where do you put the toe on the brake? Do you put it on the beam or on the pad of the brake? Thanks
Old 11-30-04, 03:48 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Our gas pedal is a little low for heel-toe.
Maybe you can adjust the height of the gas pedal a bit.
Take a look-see, but make sure you know what you're doing.
I don't want to become the person to blame when your accelerator gets stuck at WOT.

If it's not adjustable, maybe you can get a pedal with more material on top.
Just an idea.

Good luck.

~Alan
Old 11-30-04, 04:02 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

I stick my foot (size 11 too) on the left edge of the pad. So I actually dont end up twisting my foot THAT much, just enough to reach the pad, then I kind of "roll" my foot to press the gas. Good luck
Old 11-30-04, 04:08 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Heres an awful awful illustration to try to help you out

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails Heel Toe?-heeltoe.jpg  
Old 11-30-04, 04:15 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting. Thanks for the illustration Aerostar.....you got the Lexus logo in there and everything.

Sounds like Anthony and I have been doing the opposite (heel on gas, toe on brake) which makes more sense with your theory of precise brake control being more important than precise throttle control.
What I mean to say is, you have more control over a pedal with your toes than you do with your heel.

I saw a drifting video once where they had a separate camera showing the footwork, and the guy was using heel on gas and toes on brake.
That video by the way is freakin amazing.....these guys can really move their feet.

~Alan
Old 11-30-04, 04:24 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Hmm that wierd, I feel as if I have more control with my heel, and I just use the edge of my foot to just tap the gas, and I use the rest of my foot on the brake
Old 11-30-04, 04:28 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe it's because I have TT front brakes and the slightest mistake sends my rear wheels chasing after my fronts.
Old 11-30-04, 05:00 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Aero, I just can't seem to do it the way you described. Either my foot doesn't twist that way or I am getting it down wrong. I am doing it the way sportcoupe described. I'm going to look into raising the gas pedal or lowering the brake. The difference between the two is making it a pain to even attempt to do this.
Old 11-30-04, 06:48 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

check out this video

http://www.mymazdarotary.com/rx-8_vi...ime-attack.avi
Old 11-30-04, 08:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by /Aerostar\
Heres an awful awful illustration to try to help you out

Enjoy
umm..... not sure if that's the "normal" way to do it? i have watched a lot of racing videos, and almost all drivers, they stay their feet in the gas position. they use their toe to press on the brakes, and at the same time use the heel to gas it while down shifting.

that's also shown in the video

Last edited by rominl; 11-30-04 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-30-04, 08:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by SPORTcoupe
Interesting. Thanks for the illustration Aerostar.....you got the Lexus logo in there and everything.

Sounds like Anthony and I have been doing the opposite (heel on gas, toe on brake) which makes more sense with your theory of precise brake control being more important than precise throttle control.
What I mean to say is, you have more control over a pedal with your toes than you do with your heel.

I saw a drifting video once where they had a separate camera showing the footwork, and the guy was using heel on gas and toes on brake.
That video by the way is freakin amazing.....these guys can really move their feet.

~Alan
actually i beg to differ, it should be the other way. the front part of your feet actually should have better sensitivity and control over the heel part. if you watch the video again, you actually rest most of the front fo the foot on the brake, and that's what get you the best braking coz' you have full control. you only use the heel (and in the case of lexus, you use the right corner of the heel) to gas it. you need precise braking, but at the same time you just need to rev up the engine to match the rpm.

it does takes a lot of practice though. somehow for me i found it easier to learn double clutch first. that gave me a lot of insight on the shift points and stuff. then went and started learning heel toe
Old 11-30-04, 09:18 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I always tried to do this in my Maxima, but I never caught on. I was talking to a few ppl that also have the same style Maxima, and they said that the Maxima is one of the harder cars to heel toe on because the pedals are more spaced out and smaller. I was able to correctly execute the hell toe method on my friends V6 Tiburon and another friends VR6 Jetta, but for some reason cant do it on my Maxima. Oh well. Its not that important to me.
Old 11-30-04, 10:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by magneto112
I always tried to do this in my Maxima, but I never caught on. I was talking to a few ppl that also have the same style Maxima, and they said that the Maxima is one of the harder cars to heel toe on because the pedals are more spaced out and smaller. I was able to correctly execute the hell toe method on my friends V6 Tiburon and another friends VR6 Jetta, but for some reason cant do it on my Maxima. Oh well. Its not that important to me.
well, tha'ts when you need newer larger pedals to narrow the gap between the two pedals

Quick Reply: Heel Toe?