Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GS430 fanatic, now considering 745i

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-04, 08:48 PM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you wait for the new 2006 gs400!!
Old 11-30-04, 08:54 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No I can't wait at all. And like I said, GS is not my style anymore....I really want to move up to the flagships (s-class, 745, ls, etc).

The LS430 is so good with reliability, price, interior looks/comfort, and front-end looks for the 2003 model year that its hard to go somewhere else.

But, the slightly updated styling on the new S-class makes it stand out more in terms of class.

And out of all the the 745 looks the best overall, though I am a bit worried bout the electrical issues. I wonder if its just that people aren't savvy enough to learn the iDrive. I have heard of some people loving iDrive and then many many more hating it. I am sure by now any used 745 would have its electrical issues worked out.

And also, 22s fit perfectly on a 745....its amazing I know! That's the first thing I plan to do to it once I get it. A silver (or black) 745li with 22s (w/ lip).....badass!

Last edited by nanotech; 11-30-04 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-30-04, 09:31 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

hey nanotech,

i also like the 745iL ... I think the styling is just different that whats out there.
I've been shopping around for a car too .... want a flagship car ... the S or 7 series or LS.

Both the S and 7 series do have problems.
I have seen a couple of S-class that has "dropped" to the ground because their Airmatic
suspension failed. But I think that was almost isolated to the 2000 models, being the
first time MB implemented it. But if you go 2001 and upward, you should be fine.
Btw, if you wanted to get the new updated look, it is the 2003 model year, not the
2002. The 2003 and newer, have the clear headlamps.
(For me, I am looking at a S430 myself ... )

The 7 series, if you want to get it, dont get a 2002... whatever you do, dont.
I have talked to dealers who say that they dont even keep 2002 trade-ins because
they have so many problems and cost a lot to be put into the 'CPO' condition.
They just auction is out to the wholesale dealers.
So, get a 2003 or newer, and you will be better off.

thats just what I think.

Tim
Old 11-30-04, 09:37 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the tips Tim.

I just can't get the good looks of the 745 outta my mind....and with 22s!

Btw, I know this pulls this whole thread off track, but I am also considering the Infiniti QX56. Reason being that my wife prefers higher autos such as SUV's and vans. I don't wanna get caught driving a van so that's why I started looking at SUVs. When looking at the large SUV's, Escalade looks too much like the dressed up a truck of theirs....still....plus the interior is crappy! Range Rover and MB G500 are both too expensive. The other large luxury suv's remaining are the Lexus and the Navi. Navi looks better to me, and Lexus is going to change shapes in a year or two anyway so I dont wanna be stuck with an old style, plus my bro already has an LX470. Navigator looks good, but I like the QX56 better. Do you think it would be possible for me to get a slightly used or demo QX56 for around $42k?

My wife is pushing me towards an SUV so that's why I have the Navi and QX in mind now.....but I am still considering the S-class (2003) and the 745li (2003).
Old 11-30-04, 09:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i don't own the 7 series, but i drove one, so i will just say what i think. i don't really like how the 7 drive, and i have heard tons of problem with the car, and people really complain a lot about all the electronic problems with the car.

imho, you can't beat the lexus quality and reliability.
Old 11-30-04, 09:57 PM
Jay
Lexus Champion

No more Lexus for you !!! MOVE on man !!!! I jus got a new 745LI in white..... one word for you .... BEAUTIFUL !!!

Better than my CL600 and my GS turbo.... well... not faster but everything else is better.

But the price is something you need to think about. Bit a gap bewteen Lexus and 745LI, ya know.

After test driving my 745LI, my best friend who owns 03' GS430 wants to trade his in for the 7 or 645. He decided to hold on the deal due to .... ya know what.... $$$$$ !!!!

Good luck !!

JAY
Old 11-30-04, 10:09 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Among those three, S-Class or LS430. If you want reliability, LS430. Personally, I'd get an Audi A8 4.2 or Jaguar XJ SWB, especially if you want to be different badly enough to forego Lexus reliability.
Old 11-30-04, 10:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Jay
No more Lexus for you !!! MOVE on man !!!! I jus got a new 745LI in white..... one word for you .... BEAUTIFUL !!!

Better than my CL600 and my GS turbo.... well... not faster but everything else is better.

But the price is something you need to think about. Bit a gap bewteen Lexus and 745LI, ya know.

After test driving my 745LI, my best friend who owns 03' GS430 wants to trade his in for the 7 or 645. He decided to hold on the deal due to .... ya know what.... $$$$$ !!!!

Good luck !!

JAY
hey what's up jay? man if you really dont' feel like it, i can always get the cl600 off you

but man, how many cars do you have and what are they, damnit
Old 11-30-04, 10:12 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MB is better than BMW in terms of reliability, safety, and name.

BMW does drive better tho.... ****!
Old 11-30-04, 11:07 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by jracerlmn
MB is better than BMW in terms of reliability, safety, and name.

BMW does drive better tho.... ****!
I don't think I'd agree that MB is better than BMW in terms of reliability anymore. At least not when comparing the marques overall. If you look at specific models like the CLK vs the 5 and 7, then yeah, but CR showed the C (V6), E, and S Classes all on the worst reliability lists for their classes. Pretty heart wrenching, eh?
Old 11-30-04, 11:13 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: GS430 fanatic, now considering 745i

Originally posted by nanotech
Hello friends,

I am a long time owner of Lexus. In the past 3 yrs I have bought three GS430s, and two ES300s. I sold my first GS430 and crashed my second one. I crashed my first ES300 and just today sold the second one. Now I have one GS430 and in desperate need of another car.

The two cars that I totalled, the GS430 and the ES300 were actually totalled in one accident. My two sons hit each other on the highway, probably horseplaying, but probably my elder son's fault cause he is a wild driver. Anyway, I bought my younger son another ES300 and no car for my older son (he admitted it was his fault).

Today I just sold my younger son's ES300 and am going to give him my GS430. So now, I need a new car. I have driven the GS for a long time and absolutely love it. Except I don't think its my style anymore. I am older and need a more "mature" car like an S-class, LS430, or 745. Out of those three I am leaning towards a 745.

I am considering the 745 because everybody around me has an LS430 already, and many people drive S-classes also. I rarely see a 745 and it looks amazing to me. But then its a BMW...

My wife wants an SUV or Van because its easier for her to sit up on higher seat because of her handicap. But she does fine in cars also. I am considering the 745 because it seems to have an unaturally high seat for a sedan.

I trust you guys and so that's why I am here instead of a BMW forum. Anybody have any experience with these? I am considering getting a used 745 in order to save $$$$$ (tens of thousands). The trade-in value of a tastefully-loaded 2002 745i w/ 60k miles is around $37k, and that sounds good to me. What do you guys think?
Can I be your son? ....if not here is another pic of a 745 with staggered 22 inch Maya's, 11 inches wide in the rear, this car inspired my color/wheel choice/finish etc....

Old 11-30-04, 11:13 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

LOL not really, the 1999 E class i own is solid as hell...

but besides the point, all my BMW friends ***** about their reliability more than my MB friends...(of course i dont hear my lexus friends saying anything except for their laughter)...

blah

then again it's hard to compare crap and poop right?
Old 11-30-04, 11:23 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

LOL not really, the 1999 E class i own is solid as hell...

but besides the point, all my BMW friends ***** about their reliability more than my MB friends...(of course i dont hear my lexus friends saying anything except for their laughter)...

blah

then again it's hard to compare crap and poop right?
Hmm, that's interesting. The cars we've owned haven't had much go wrong in terms of reliability, but if you look at the statistics, MB is definitely bottom of the barrel now. I hate to say it, considering I'm a fan of theirs, but then again, I feel that fans should be the harshest critics of all.
Old 11-30-04, 11:33 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Incendiary
Hmm, that's interesting. The cars we've owned haven't had much go wrong in terms of reliability, but if you look at the statistics, MB is definitely bottom of the barrel now. I hate to say it, considering I'm a fan of theirs, but then again, I feel that fans should be the harshest critics of all.

oh definitely,

i hate how ****ty the ML is...1st year it came out it had 8-9 recalls.
I hate how ****ty the new C class is
i hate how the new E class brakes feel
i hate how the windows in my dad's SL55 sometimes let water in

but all in all, it's better than what my friends say about their beemers. their 3 series and 5 series tend to have tons of electrical errors...everything else ok, just electrical **** like the express windows or the sensors.

they figure they're rich enough to keep affording all the repairs and they could care less about their cars being in the shop because they all got bikes. i dunno, maybe you got lucky or they got lemons i cant say...
Old 11-30-04, 11:40 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

oh definitely,

i hate how ****ty the ML is...1st year it came out it had 8-9 recalls.
I hate how ****ty the new C class is
i hate how the new E class brakes feel
i hate how the windows in my dad's SL55 sometimes let water in

but all in all, it's better than what my friends say about their beemers. their 3 series and 5 series tend to have tons of electrical errors...everything else ok, just electrical **** like the express windows or the sensors.

they figure they're rich enough to keep affording all the repairs and they could care less about their cars being in the shop because they all got bikes. i dunno, maybe you got lucky or they got lemons i cant say...
I was actually talking about the MBs we have, not the BMW. But all our cars have been relatively okay. Actually, our new E-Class already has a seatbelt chime issue, which isn't particularly a good sign... Good thing for extended warranties, huh?

MB really has to focus on their reliability issues, or they'll slowly go the way Cadillac went during the 70's and 80's. I think they're beginning to, but they've slipped behind BMW and even Audi, which for a long time has been known to have terrible, absolutely awful reliability. At least they haven't fallen behind VW yet, but I guess the one cool thing is that MB is the only make to score a clean sweep in the three sedan size classes on the CR worst reliability rankings...

Quick Reply: GS430 fanatic, now considering 745i