Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GS430 fanatic, now considering 745i

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-04, 06:26 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GS430 fanatic, now considering 745i

Hello friends,

I am a long time owner of Lexus. In the past 3 yrs I have bought three GS430s, and two ES300s. I sold my first GS430 and crashed my second one. I crashed my first ES300 and just today sold the second one. Now I have one GS430 and in desperate need of another car.

The two cars that I totalled, the GS430 and the ES300 were actually totalled in one accident. My two sons hit each other on the highway, probably horseplaying, but probably my elder son's fault cause he is a wild driver. Anyway, I bought my younger son another ES300 and no car for my older son (he admitted it was his fault).

Today I just sold my younger son's ES300 and am going to give him my GS430. So now, I need a new car. I have driven the GS for a long time and absolutely love it. Except I don't think its my style anymore. I am older and need a more "mature" car like an S-class, LS430, or 745. Out of those three I am leaning towards a 745.

I am considering the 745 because everybody around me has an LS430 already, and many people drive S-classes also. I rarely see a 745 and it looks amazing to me. But then its a BMW...

My wife wants an SUV or Van because its easier for her to sit up on higher seat because of her handicap. But she does fine in cars also. I am considering the 745 because it seems to have an unaturally high seat for a sedan.

I trust you guys and so that's why I am here instead of a BMW forum. Anybody have any experience with these? I am considering getting a used 745 in order to save $$$$$ (tens of thousands). The trade-in value of a tastefully-loaded 2002 745i w/ 60k miles is around $37k, and that sounds good to me. What do you guys think?

Last edited by nanotech; 11-30-04 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-30-04, 06:38 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 745

I'm one of the few people around here that thinks the bimmer 7 is a great looking car. I absolutely love the lines of the car. It's a departure from the everyday cookie cutter hum drum style of so many cars.

Getting one over a Lexus is another thing. I'd get one as a second car but not instead of a Lexus...any Lexus. Including the IS300. You see, reliability is one of my values in choosing a car. I've heard too many stories of people hating the 7 while loving it at the same time. 70-80 G's is too much moolah for a love-hate relationship.

Get the LS430 and mod it....none of your friends have one with 20's on it.
Old 11-30-04, 06:38 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think I can give an impartial opinion on this, I have had many Bimmers in the past.....and think they are great cars.

That being said, the new 7 series has alot of electrical issues....alot! I know three people that have had their cars in the shop more than they have driven them One guy in particular, had his Bimmer in the shop a cumulative time of 7 months out of the first year owning it. BMW actually finally stepped up and gave him a brand new 7 series to replace it...no loss to him. While it amazed me that they did that, it was also a testimate that they know they have issue.

Tough call, but I would be very cautious due to the large scale electrical issues.
Old 11-30-04, 06:56 PM
kyle3481
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

745i is pimp..but i wouldnt want to get a used one...
Old 11-30-04, 06:57 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am privledged to be able to take my boss's 03 745Li at any given will and I have these comments about it:

1) LOADS of electrical issues
2) cheap and overly firm leather that doesn't even air condition properly (BIG let down IMO)
3) cumbersome navigation (not even talkin bout i-Drive)
4) navigation lacks nice graphics
5) seat adjustments are touchy at the least (more electrical issues)
6) notchy and touchy gas pedal doesn't administer proper or decent throttle response (it feels almost as if it chokes to accelerate-not sure if thats tranny related)

and most recently, the cream of the crop IMO:

7) RATTLES GALORE!!!!!!!!!!

Needless to say, I love the way it drives (it's a Bimmer), and the 18's on it (19's available) ride super duper smooth (100% smoother than my GS400 on 17's), but the notations listed above just make me wonder is it worth that money????

IMO BMW should've worked on this car more
Old 11-30-04, 06:58 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

That's exactly what bugs me, reliability! I don't want to be a laugh in someones face when I have to always take the bimmer to the garage, which I expect I may have to. Why can't BMW make cars reliable like Lexus?? They have been in it longer haven't they!?

The styling I do like a lot. Yeah sometimes it looks like a dodge stratus from behind and the front isn't dro-dead gorgeous, but overall, it looks better than the LS430 or the S-class, which I think have boring looks. No offense but I think the LS430's rear is especially boring, almost no change on the rear in upteen years! The 2004 LS430 front is pretty good though, and I like the interior of the LS a better than the interior of the 745. But overall, the 745 looks stunning, something new, out of the ordinary, unlike the numerous s-class and ls430s around here.

If I do get an S-class then I will get a 2002 one so that atleast the front and rear lights are changed a bit. If it was between a 2003 S-class or a 2002 745, what would you guys say? And how much of a premium does a used 745li carry over a used 745i on average? Is it more than 10%?

I don't think its worth getting a 745 used.....resale value plummets like nothing else! Just think about it, a brand new 745 can cost upwards of $85k with taxes....and now it can be had used for less than $45k with taxes.....$40k in 2yrs....I dont want to loose that! ($40k saved is $60k earned b4 taxes!!!)

Last edited by nanotech; 11-30-04 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-30-04, 07:16 PM
bvance
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

my fiance works for Momentum bmw in Houston, a very large bmw dealership. She says it is unbelievable
the amount of brand new 745's and 760's that come back with major problems i.e. car won't start, stranded on side of road. Give them a while to work the kinks out...by then there will probably be something better out. just my .02
Old 11-30-04, 07:18 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 745

Originally posted by reggiek
I'm one of the few people around here that thinks the bimmer 7 is a great looking car. I absolutely love the lines of the car. It's a departure from the everyday cookie cutter hum drum style of so many cars.

Getting one over a Lexus is another thing. I'd get one as a second car but not instead of a Lexus...any Lexus. Including the IS300. You see, reliability is one of my values in choosing a car. I've heard too many stories of people hating the 7 while loving it at the same time. 70-80 G's is too much moolah for a love-hate relationship.

7 series is a work of beauty, but i wouldnt trade a GS for it.
Old 11-30-04, 07:20 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

I have never driven one but I'm sure the BMW is a great car if everything is working but questionable reliability is def an issue, more so if the car is not still under factory warranty.

I would agree on a tastefully modded LS. They can look killer.

(reposted pic)sorry about the side "gills" but otherwise
Attached Thumbnails GS430 fanatic, now considering 745i-ls.jpg  
Old 11-30-04, 07:33 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: 745

Originally posted by reggiek

Your are not alone in that boat. I absolutely love the Bimmer 7 Series. Especially the V12 760i. Also agree that i would never get one over a lexus. I would prefer the GS over the 7 Series, but if it was a pure luxury issue, then i would say go for that LS430. It's an amazing car.
Old 11-30-04, 07:36 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

I am not selling my GS430, I just sold my ES300. I am keeping the GS, actually giving it to my younger son. I am thinking now more towards the S-Class or the 745. Like I said before, yeah reliability and interior on LS is great, but everybody has it and the styling is kinda boring looking to me.

Because of reliability issues with 745, I am now leaning more towards S-class.
Old 11-30-04, 07:51 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why can't BMW make cars reliable like Lexus?? They have been in it longer haven't they!?
They do make reliable cars, extremely reliable actually.....the new 7 series just aint one of them. THe 7 is actually the first Bimmer I have heard of having issue like this. I have had numerous M3's, a 330ci, a 540i...never had an ounce of issues out of any of them. In my opinion they just jammed way too much cool stuff into the car, the result being the electrical issues. I havent even dived into the whole I Drive thing.....I have heard that the I Drive is a nightmare....both form the 3 owners I know and in numerous magazine articles.

I know a guy that just this past weekend his 7 series just died on him on the side of the road.....fortunately for him he had his Porsche Turbo as a back up.....lucky bastard!!
Old 11-30-04, 08:24 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Just received Consumer Reports Buying Guide 2005 last week. Reviews of the 2005 Models for BMW 7 Series - Predicted reliability "Worse", Depreciation "Better", Comments: The stately, quiet, fast and agile 7 Series misses the mark as a luxury car. The iDrive control system and other ergonomic quirks make it frustrating and annoying instead of comforting and soothing. Auto Ratings for the luxury Sedans (page 183-184) from first to last are: LS430, MB S-Class, MB E-Class, BMW 5 Series, DeVille, A8, Jaguar S-Type, Jaguar XJ8, S80 and BMW 7 Series. 745i is new but the older BMW 7Series are in the "Repeat Offenders" list (much-worse-than-average overall reliability).
Old 11-30-04, 08:34 PM
tytgs300
Lead Lap

i cant believe this 745 takes a set of 22's with ease. i was amazed

Last edited by tytgs300; 11-30-04 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-30-04, 08:39 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

If you don't like the LS, why not get a fresh GS 430?

Quick Reply: GS430 fanatic, now considering 745i