Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2006 Lincoln Mark LT News (the new Blackwood)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-04, 07:07 PM
LexFather

Default 2006 Lincoln Mark LT News (the new Blackwood)

LINCOLN TRUCK TO START AT $39,995

Lincoln will price its 2006 Mark LT pickup starting at $39,995, the automaker said Tuesday. The luxury truck goes on sale next spring.

The base price of the truck's 4x4 model will be $43,495, Lincoln says. Both prices include destination charges.

Lincoln will begin marketing the Mark LT at the Super Bowl on Feb. 6. It will air a 30-second TV commercial during the first half of the game, which Fox is broadcasting. Lincoln has not advertised during the Super Bowl for more than a decade.

It will follow the TV spot with print ads. Lincoln will be a sponsor of Sports Illustrated's "super swimsuit party" Feb. 5 in Jacksonville, Fla., the site of the Super Bowl.

The marketing campaign for the Mark LT includes a sweepstakes starting Wednesday on the automaker's Web site, www.lincoln.com. The top prize is a trip for two to Jacksonville during Super Bowl week.

American Honda Motor Corp. plans to run two 30-second TV spots during the Super Bowl to launch its new pickup, the Ridgeline.[/i]

Old 12-01-04, 07:16 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down WHY?

first didn't work, why do they think it will now!!!! might be five grand cheaper!!!
Old 12-01-04, 08:58 PM
C-Train
Lead Lap

for a while i even had no idea lincoln had a truck, until i saw one on the road. i was like "what...the...f***??????" on spinners, no less
Old 12-01-04, 09:25 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Screw the Lightning, let's make us a Lincoln truck...again!

Ford...what the hell are you doing???

James
Old 12-02-04, 08:40 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Maybe this wouldn't be such a bad idea (OK, yes it would) if IT DIDN'T LOOK EXACTLY LIKE AN F150!!!!!!

Old 12-02-04, 09:09 AM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Dumbasses.

First off, before this thread how many of you knew what a blackwood was? Now granted we are car people but I know theres a good number of you who have no idea.

Secondly, who has actually SEEN a blackwood? I drive around constantly looking more at cars then the road () And I can safely say i've seen one twice. Could have even been the same car.

Third, It looks like a friggin F150. They could have AT LEAST messed with the headlights. If they really wanted to they could have yanked them up and made them bigger like when they re-did the Navigator. It'd be better to be called a Escalade wanna-be then a F-150.

I like the F150, and that truck is growing on me and the inside is tight too but... come on. I wanted a V-8 LS a year ago but after driving one it was painfully clear it was no Lexus.

Mark my word (no pun intended) in a year or 2 it'll get a refresh with new headlights.
Old 12-02-04, 09:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The interior is not much different (not surprisingly) from the Ford F-150 Lariat or the King Ranch.
I understand some of the skeptic remarks here, considering the extremely poor sales of the previous Blackwood, (only 1000 were made) but this is in some ways a different vehicle. For one thing, it doesn't have the useless wood-and-carpet bed of the previous Blackwood...a major reason why more people didn't buy it. It is at least a LITTLE more suited to being an actual truck.
And rival Cadillac has had some success with the Escalade version of the Chevy Avalanche pickup....let's see what Lincoln can do with this one.
Old 12-02-04, 09:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by IVXX
Dumbasses.

First off, before this thread how many of you knew what a blackwood was? Now granted we are car people but I know theres a good number of you who have no idea.

Secondly, who has actually SEEN a blackwood? I drive around constantly looking more at cars then the road () And I can safely say i've seen one twice. Could have even been the same car.

I saw and inspected a Blackwood at the 2002 Washington, DC auto show.....and one or two of them at dealerships.....but have not test-driven one. It probably drives more or less like the Navigator....which I HAVE driven.
Old 12-02-04, 10:08 AM
LexFather

I have seen 1 and came to mind. And did ya'll know it was only offered in RWD. And yes, the interior of the last Navigator/Blackwood was horrible.

To Fords credit, the F-150 has THE BEST interior of any truck, ever made Period. It is that good. Looking at this Lincoln trucks interior, they did not change a thing but slap a Lincoln badge on it. Considering the countless morons that buy Escalades with quite possibly the worst interior of any luxu truck/SUV, you would think this would have no issue selling.
The Escalade, while ugly, is a brute, in your face vehicle with CAddys grill slapped on the front. People like it as it is very stand off ish. Not sure if this Lincoln truck will do it, its handsome but nothing much diff than an F-150.
Price. Very good for Lincoln at 39k. A GM Sierra loaded with quatrasteer hits 40k. The Escalade Avalanche EXT is 50k. The Lincoln offers tons more refinement inside.

If this does not sell, it is clear, many people would rather an eye-catching design than a quality, useful interior where they actually sit in.

And I think Lincoln is in trouble again. All their cars/SUVs have tons of rebates and are selling slow.

Old 12-02-04, 10:40 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

There is actually a advertisment for this truck in one of the new mags (maybe C&D), and when I opened the brochure, the first thing I did was

As many of you have already mentioned, the first Blackwood was the biggest flop in the world (1SICK, I forgot it only came in RWD too). And this one is just not nice looking. Is it me or is the F-150 BETTER looking than this vehicle?

As far as the Escalade/Avalanche go, they have one design element that all pickup/SUV hybrids should have: the "flying buttress" after the C-pillar. It really helps add a more finished look. Alot of these SUV/pickups look just like what they are, a SUV with its **** cut off and pickup bed grafted on. The bed always looks like a afterthought. (The initial Blackwood was the biggest offender in this category).

Oh well, some ballaz on a budget will be rolling in this thing in about 2-4yrs with 28" wheels and a 60" plasma screen in the bed, good for them.
Old 12-03-04, 07:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts
Default Re: 2006 Lincoln Mark LT News (the new Blackwood)

Bizarre how this looks just like an F150 with a different grille.

Old 12-03-04, 08:17 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

some suckers will buy it, more money for Ford.
they need it

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosins.../A01-22222.htm
Old 12-04-04, 01:20 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

If Lincoln had really differentiated the exterior/interior from the F-150, I think this could be reasonably successful. However, if slapping on wood and chrome and a Lincoln moniker means differentiating it, I don't know that people will really want to pay the extra bucks... I think the idea of a luxury pickup is a great idea, though. It just has to be executed properly...
Old 12-04-04, 03:06 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-04-04, 07:13 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Those who do not learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them. Obviously Lincoln can't find their *** with both hands............

Last edited by mooretorque; 12-04-04 at 07:15 AM.

Quick Reply: 2006 Lincoln Mark LT News (the new Blackwood)