Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Family sues Nissan over toddler's death (suing over Infiniti FX)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-04, 08:05 AM
kingkong5
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can sort of see what the parents are saying in all of this. You know, not that long ago seatbelts weren't required equipment in cars. But, the law changed, and I can see how if a car company sold a car without seatbelts, and someone died who probably wouldn't have if they had seat belts, that company would be liable. But that's because they didn't follow the minimum safety requirements set forth by the United States Government for selling cars in the United States!!

When the department for highway safety or NTSA or whatever DOT department is responsible for setting the rules for cars changes their standards to include mandatory backup cameras and backups sensors, then maybe Nissan might be in trouble for failing to meet those standards. But I don't see that as the case here, since they're not required like seatbelts. I suppose these folks would also sue because their car didn't have Side Impact airbags? A built in roll cage? Auto-tensioning seat belts? wtf is wrong with them, this kinda makes me upset at the parents for disgracing their daughter's name in this way.
Old 12-03-04, 08:54 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

This is amazing...regardless of technologies, etc...to drive a car/truck is considered a privilege not a right, and with that comes responsibility. Regardless of the manufacturer, you as the consumer made the choice of what automobile you wanted to purchase. You also tested for a license (of your own free will) and are allowed to operate a vehicle of a specific class based on passing said test. These people are simply liable for their own actions (or inaction in terms of yielding to the toddler) and should be punished for vehicular manslaughter and have their license revoked, etc... Just because it was their own kid that they ran over because they were in too much of a hurry to leave and they did not buy a car from a manufacturer with the options they desired/were not available (not that they would of helped them) does not make the car manufacturer liable.

These people should be thrown in jail, not only for running over the child, but for child neglect (who let’s their 2.5 year old run around in the driveway/street when their going to be backing cars out and leaving anyway???), child endangerment, etc… throw the book at them because not only are they bad parents, but they are bad drivers and don’t deserve the privilege to operate a vehicle.

These are the types of people that make life for the rest of us all harder…

Anyway, I hope that child is in a better place now…thanks to their parents, NOT Nissan!
Old 12-03-04, 09:02 AM
LexFather

Sad and pathetic. Not Nissans fault at all.

Old 12-03-04, 09:28 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

I wonder if Nissan can sue said jackass in order to get the car back so that he won't be able to cause any more accidents with the FX and then blame it on the manufacturer.

"I ran over an old lady the other day, but it's Nissan's fault because they didn't equip the truck with a proper pre-collision system and the radar cruise control didn't have enough time to react since I was going 65MPH in the neighborhood..."

Old 12-03-04, 09:37 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Those parents are negligible....not Nissan.

In fact...these people should never have children again.....they seem irresponsible....and now they just want someone (with deep pockets) to pay for their own tragic mistake.
Old 12-03-04, 10:03 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

I can already see the next warning label after you put it into reverse, after the NAV comes on. "There will be blind spots not visible to the camera".

Old 12-03-04, 10:08 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs down

Only in America...

Last edited by XeroK00L; 12-03-04 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-03-04, 11:54 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by KVA
This is amazing...regardless of technologies, etc...to drive a car/truck is considered a privilege not a right, and with that comes responsibility. Regardless of the manufacturer, you as the consumer made the choice of what automobile you wanted to purchase. You also tested for a license (of your own free will) and are allowed to operate a vehicle of a specific class based on passing said test. These people are simply liable for their own actions (or inaction in terms of yielding to the toddler) and should be punished for vehicular manslaughter and have their license revoked, etc... Just because it was their own kid that they ran over because they were in too much of a hurry to leave and they did not buy a car from a manufacturer with the options they desired/were not available (not that they would of helped them) does not make the car manufacturer liable.
My feelings exactly. Bottom line, your dumb *** was in too much of a hurry and didn't take the proper steps to back the vehicle out, plain and simple. Why your 2 year old was out in the driveway unsupervised in the first place is the real issue here. Where was the wife? The idiot husband was too cheap to get the camera option and now he's mad at Nissan for not giving it to him for free?? gimme a break! losers! Pay attention to your &^%$#@! kids!!!!!!

Last edited by mikeloc24; 12-03-04 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-03-04, 12:08 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

I read about this on the FX forums a couple days ago. According to some of the people over there, the plaintiffs owned an older (1999 or 2000) Infiniti QX4. Back up cameras weren't even an option on their vehicle when they bought it.

I have a feeling this is less about the money and more about the guy trying to blame someone else to make himself feel better. I know I'd be distraught too but he needs to accept responsibility and get on with it.
Old 12-03-04, 12:31 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Nissan's new marketing slogan: SHIFT_blame
Old 12-03-04, 12:57 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally posted by mikeloc24
ROFL.

SHIFT_Into-Reverse-But-Look-First-You-Dolt.

Old 12-03-04, 01:16 PM
qtb33
Lead Lap

Welcome to America....the land of ,"It's someone else's fault!"

He should be neutered, b/c he is obviously not responsible enough to be a parent. Not b/c he ran his child over but b/c he won't admit he messed up.
Old 12-03-04, 01:20 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Maybe he'll do a video re-enactment and run over himself

<----- willing to buy the dvd

Last edited by O. L. T.; 12-03-04 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-03-04, 10:11 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

this reminds me of the idiot who sued Mcdonalds becuase they burnt themselfs, becuase the "coffee was too hot" These people need to be taken behind the house and shot.

This is what the world is comming to. everyone wants free money. Some fat messes gain weight from eating mcdonalds. and its their fault for selling them food. People make me sick

J
Old 12-04-04, 06:16 AM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

And that right there would be my daily laugh out loud from club lexus.

I want to see the lawyer that told them "I think you have a case here!"

Quick Reply: Family sues Nissan over toddler's death (suing over Infiniti FX)