Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Twin Turbo G35

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-04, 09:55 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Twin Turbo G35

Julio's 2003 Twin Turbo Infiniti G35 Coupe
Words and photos by: Mike Alonso - Graff by: Jesse Botella

There are a growing number of car aficionados like myself who love anything that packs a punch and is turbo-charged. Heck, if I had more money in my pocket I would turbo-charge my car, a crotch rocket or even a go-cart; now that would be loads of insane amusement! Factory turbo-charged vehicles make for great tuning platforms, such as Nissans Skyline GT-R. The GT-R is one of the most talked about factory turbo-charged Japanese super cars, that isn’t sold as a new vehicle on American soil. Many people ohhh and ahhh when they hear the name Skyline or when they see one.

When Nissan introduced the next generation Skyline known as the V35 chassis, a GT-R version was not included in the model line up. Disappointed enthusiasts would have to wait until possibly 2006-2007 for the next generation GT-R to be introduced into the marketplace. Shortly after, the Skyline was introduced into the US Market under the Infiniti badge known as a G35.

As soon as the G35 was released in the US market, Julio was quick to get himself to the dealer, hop into the then brand new G and bring it home. Even though the G35 was not turbocharged like his previous car, a Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T; it was only a matter of time before the modification bug would start biting at his feet. Pleasing his first burst of need for speed came though bolt-on modifications and a 100 shot of nitrous. However, this would be a short lived stage as he soon learned that GReddy was almost done developing the G35 Turbo Kit.
Attached Thumbnails Twin Turbo G35-img_6467.jpg  
Old 12-03-04, 09:55 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Once the GReddy turbo kit was available, it was quickly purchased and the hard work began. Now that the basic parts of the turbo kit were in place. Julio installed a GReddy front mount intercooler to ensure proper chilling of the pressurized air while a GReddy Type-S blow off valve expels unneeded boost when Julio lets off of the gas pedal. Exhaust plumbing to the back of the car consists of custom stainless steel down pipes and a Y pipe that leads the fumes to the NISMO muffler.

Fuel management is one of the most important driving forces behind any upgraded motor unless you enjoy driving a ticking time bomb everyday. Julio enlisted ASR Engineering to fabricate him a custom fuel system; a digital FMU was also installed at this time. Delivering more fuel to the turbo-charged VQ35 power-plant is essential. That extra fuel is flowed through a set of high flow injectors and an upgraded fuel pump. An additional inline fuel pump was installed ensuring that any additional fuel pressure would be available when needed. Aiding in the reduction of heat soak & detonation is a custom Aquamist system that is setup for when Julio runs the car at 10psi.

While the G35 was at ASR Engineering additional components were installed. A G-Force ECU with a recalibrated fuel map, ignition map & TPS were installed. An Apex-I Super AFC allows Julio and his tuner to make fine adjustments to his air and fuel settings. Controlling boost is made simple through GReddy’s Profec-B; a Turbo timer allows the turbochargers to cool off before Julio shuts his beast down after long spirited drives. These modifications yield a quarter mile time of 12.25 @ 114mph and 417 rear wheel horsepower, 391 rear wheel torque on the dyno respectively @ 7 PSI of boost. Now that the car is capable of 10 PSI we can estimate that 460+ rear wheel horsepower and a high 11 second quarter mile pass are achievable. With all this power keeping a watchful eye on the state of the engine is critical. ASR Engineering’s custom molded center gauge console; allows Julio to do just that. Autometer was the brand of choice to supply the carbon fiber boost, EGT & air/fuel meters.
Attached Thumbnails Twin Turbo G35-img_6512.jpg  
Old 12-03-04, 09:56 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

The link between the car and the ground, not last and definitely not forgotten! Race worthy balance and stance are brought to you by height and rebound adjustable HKS HiperMax Coilovers; while Stillen sway bars tighten up the suspension and reduce body roll. Wide mercury silver Volk SF Winning wheels enhance the aggressive stance; 19x9.5 up front and 19x10.5 handle the power out back. Wrapping the beautiful Volks are sticky Continental tires; 255/35/19 for the front and 285/35/19 for the rear. A finishing touch consists of a GReddy front bumper; the remainder of the aero kit will accompany the front bumper soon.

Julio enjoys his sights and sounds just as much as turbo-charged performance. A simple but functional installation fancies his auditory and visual senses; a 5 channel amplifier powers his mids, highs and two 10 inch subwoofers. While a DVD player & 4.5 inch LCD monitor allow him to play and watch his favorite movies in the comfort of his driver’s seat. Rounding off the auditory experience with hours of music at a time is an MP3 player that is integrated with his DVD player.

Holding it down with simple and clean style, but swift on its feet; this is how Nissan should have produced their latest generation of the Skyline, G35 for us in the good ole U S of A.

http://importspeedmagazine.com/featu...5/juliog35.htm
Old 12-03-04, 10:09 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like it, its good to see people taking things to the extreme

J
Old 12-03-04, 11:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

damn, now that's a good start for the upcoming skyline very good find olt!
Old 12-03-04, 11:48 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The G35 is such a beautiful car!! Even better when it's turbocharged!!
Old 12-03-04, 11:56 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

o hope one day i can turbocharge my car
Old 12-04-04, 03:23 AM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Old 12-04-04, 06:20 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Old 12-04-04, 04:09 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

damn!!! That whip is riding LOW!!
Old 12-04-04, 04:12 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That G is a work of art

Originally posted by SexySC
whadda say SexySC, when are you going FI?

Last edited by Technics; 12-04-04 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-04-04, 06:37 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, so i already have the front bumper on the way. this has really sparked me to fill up the front with an intercooler. FI here i come..............

Doc
Old 12-04-04, 07:17 PM
TopSCecreT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

that is SEXI i love it
Old 12-04-04, 08:54 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by DrRick
ok, so i already have the front bumper on the way. this has really sparked me to fill up the front with an intercooler. FI here i come..............

Doc
, go fot it Doc. After that, you will have to let us in Atl. check it out...
Old 12-06-04, 12:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by DrRick

Doc
gosh, do it dr, do it and show us what you got

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo G35