Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Seriously, w/o bias bmw745i or LS430CL 04'

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-04 | 03:30 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by T.L.W.
so what did he choose?
Old 12-10-04 | 03:53 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by morris
*OUCH*

hopefully for his sake they worked all the bugs out in the '03 models before they started putting out '04's. Trust me, my father was one of the poor souls who had the "pleasure" of working the bugs out of an '03 . Exactly the same type of buggy problems that have already been stated in this thread (phone malfunction, nav malfunctions, other various "software" problems related to the i-Drive system) . I swear, that car was in the shop anywhere from 8 to 10 times during the 5 months he owned it from brand-spanking new!!! He finally ended up giving the car back . Lemon-city!!!!! For this reason, I personally will NEVER buy BMW. These types of problems should NOT be taking place when you pay $85,000 for a car. NO WAY. It's the greatest branding scam in the world that BMW and MB have going. People buying for image rather than reliability.

Please do not misinterpret this as an attack of any sort....... I just wish you luck where someone close to me had none.
Old 12-10-04 | 04:55 PM
krippled
Driver School Candidate

Everytime I have to compare with a Lexus vs a BMW, I end up comparing Lexus vs Mercedes Benz. A $70g
BMW 7 series U must compare with the Benz. I can replace a Lexus with a Benz first than buying an ultimate driving machine. Don't count out Lexus easily...they are on their way on dominating their market.
Their quality and serice are improving every year and they are way more practical than both Benz and BW.
If you don't go for the Lexus I will respect you more if you replace it with a Benz 5 series.
Old 12-11-04 | 07:31 AM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: I had (have) both 745 and LS430

Originally posted by ihparker

FIT AND FINISH - pretty much of a tie. Both the BMW 745i and LS 430 are beautifully crafted cars with lots of wonderful wood and premium leather. The controls feel more solid on the BMW than the lexus and the overall feeling of the car is more solid. The BMW doors close with a wonderful thunk. The Lexus are somewhat tinny in comparison.
It's not suprising the BMW feels more solid. There is nearly 400lbs seperating the two cars.
Though BMW was redisgned in 02, the Lexus LS will be redisigned next yr for 06, and the new 7er for 07.

Last edited by LexusLuver; 12-11-04 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-11-04 | 07:59 AM
ihparker
Driver School Candidate

I think I even noted that the BMW is a much heavier car, which makes it even more remarkable that it handles like a finely tuned sports car and gets about the same 0-60 times, around 5.9 seconds with a fairly similar engine in terms of HP and MPG.

I love my LS430, but it would love to see Lexus address these issues (the solidity factor and handling) in the 2007 model change. Lexus claims this upgrade will be as revolutionary as the first LS. We will see in a couple of years.
Old 12-11-04 | 09:53 AM
GS3Tek

Congrats aldo on your 745 Please post pix when you can and please keep us updated on your 7. I, along with other members who are interested in the 7 would like to know the experience of owning such a car .
The new LS is out for next year, so this is the last year for the current body style. Good thing my sales guy reminded me when we were shopping. .
Jay, you also mentioned that you have a 745 Li. How do you like the car so far?
Old 12-11-04 | 04:34 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Default JD Powers

Compared by JD Powers...

2003 Model Year.
Lexus has 163 problems per 100 vehicles.
BMW has 262 problems per 100 vehicles.
Mercury has 240 problems per 100 vehicles.

You get what you pay for? Not with BMW. Quoted from JD Powers Fall 2003 issue: "Though BMW managed to hang onto the no. 13 spot, its quality has degraded significantly over the last three years, as did other european brands such as Volvo and Land Rover."

Best of luck. Chances are good you'll be visiting the the shop again shortly.
Old 12-11-04 | 05:16 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Default Re: more fuzzy math

Originally posted by DDLexus
Fuzzy math? maybe. I gave it a shot. I know the 7 series car is better compared to the LS Ultra, but I don't have any financials to support the 5 yr service, depreciation, etc. See the image below...
Once again, you used a LS that has less features and therefore costs $11K less. Also, where in the world did you get your numbers from? The BMW has free scheduled maint for the first four years and I sincerely doubt that you rack up $4K worth of service in the last year. I would question your source - if they got the service dolllars wrong, I wonder what else they messed up?
Old 12-11-04 | 07:03 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

i really dont think fuel mileage is a factor when you can afford a $90K car...
Old 12-11-04 | 07:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by morris
Ii have to stand by my observations, maybe it was different for previous years models but for me the LS gave a much tighter ride.
I think maybe the quietness and rigidity of the chassis (no shakes, creaks, squeaks) is what you mean by 'tighter' cuz as you know I also drove the LS430 and 745i at the same event, and the 745i wins hands down in terms of handling ABILITY - basically because it goes around corners so much flatter. I've heard though the new sport suspension and 18" rim option on the current LS430 makes a BIG difference - I'd like to try that some time.

My biggest complaint on the 7 series though is the confusing and relatively ugly interior. That's something you have to live with day in and day out. The LS430 looks 'boring' in comparison, but at least everything is completely logical. I'd also be concerned with reliability, like others have said. I don't care if it's got 'free' scheduled maintenance during the warranty period, that's a gimmick to make people less concerned about reliability. If I have to go into the dealer for a warranty issue, that's a MAJOR PAIN IN THE BUTT but is 'free' with either the Lexus or BMW. Does BMW have a free loaner service too? A local big Mercedes dealer does have loaners, but you MUST bring the car back re filled with gas or they charge (a bunch). Real friendly.
Old 12-11-04 | 08:16 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

i prefer the 745 over the ls 430. the 7 is more of a driver's car and i like the way it looks too.
Old 12-12-04 | 01:55 AM
iloveGS300
Driver

LS430 is the better car. Its not that great looking IMO but I Dont think the 7 is either. Only BMW I would ever purchase is their M models. I would let go some relability for those. But for a large passenger sedan, this is Lexus's strength.

Robert
Old 12-12-04 | 03:07 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

i think the 7 series is a better car overall; though the ls430 is my favorite lexus car. Status wise, id pick the bmw. I love the styling and it stands out in a crowd or cars. The ls430 does have some presence, but not as much as a 7 series. Also, the 7 series seems more like a "baller" car and the ls430 seems more like an older persons car..
Old 12-13-04 | 12:45 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

I'd take the 745 if i wasn't planning to do any mods, otherwise I'd pick the LS430 put on some 20in dish wheels, wald kit, drop, etc....

IMO the S500 is still the car to beat in this segment.
Old 12-13-04 | 06:20 AM
aldo23
Pole Position

i dont know why, but the S500, didnt really catch me..i just felt the 745 had so many more options..quite honestly, i know ive barely had it..but deep inside i made the right coice..if the bugs come..ill be sure to let u guys know...but the S500, i just here the Benz service is horrendous, and they overcharge..but theres always 2yrs from now..

Quick Reply: Seriously, w/o bias bmw745i or LS430CL 04'