Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Seriously, w/o bias bmw745i or LS430CL 04'

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-04, 06:29 AM
aldo23
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seriosly, w/o bias, 745i, or LS430? please reply

i need to know the answer before tonight?

if u had a deal on both and both wer ethe same price, which car would u get, and why????

im asking you guys b/c u guys always answer questions and theres more of us(well, ill be leaving the GS family soon)..

has there really been that many problems w/ the 745?
Old 12-09-04, 06:34 AM
aldo23
Pole Position

Default seriosly, bmw745i or LS430

i asked this question on the GS & LS forum...i just want opinions..

need to know the answer before tonight?

if u had a deal on both and both were the same price, which car would u get, and why????

im asking you guys b/c u guys always answer questions and theres more of us(well, ill be leaving the GS family soon)..

and yes i did the search engine...the discussions usually get off topic..

Old 12-09-04, 06:35 AM
aldo23
Pole Position

Default seriosly, w/o bias bmw745i or LS430CL 04'

asked this question on the GS & clubhouse forum...i just want opinions..

need to know the answer before tonight?

if u had a deal on both and both were the same price, which car would u get, and why????

and yes i did the search engine...the discussions usually get off topic..

Old 12-09-04, 06:47 AM
mikeyboy
Lead Lap

I personally never drove the LS430 but have driven numerous 745s and 760s. The 430 is straight luxury, truly one of the classiest and finest vehicles to every lay on the road, period. 745 is more performance.
If you do go with the 745, DO NOT GET AN 02 OR PREVIOUS MODEL. 40% of them have engine failure and many many many endless electrical issues. Personally i can't tell you what you should get but what i do know is when i see a 745 drive by and then an LS430, the 745 will definitly get more of my attention.

Personally I'd get the 745 because the LS430 is just too much luxury, but hey i'm only 19 years old
Old 12-09-04, 07:02 AM
aldo23
Pole Position

thanks for your opinion, and it an 04'..the BMW..and thanks for posting all my post in one..i realy wanted opinions b/c my decision comes today...but oh welll..what can u do
Old 12-09-04, 07:21 AM
ICEBERGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iam a huge lexus fan and I by far think the LS430 is one of the best luxury vehicles on the market. The 745 however,in my opinion, is just an inch above it. WIth the 745 u get the best of both worlds, luxury and the performance BMW's are known for. Personally I would go with the 745 that car just has a presence that commands attention, why the LS430 is just a little too conservative when side by side!!!
Old 12-09-04, 07:45 AM
aldo23
Pole Position

thanks for ur opinions..2 for the 745..but when i looked up old threads i noticed there were alot of BMW haters..when i had a Tl, they're were alot of Lexus haters. by the way i test drove the RL, nice car, but not worth 50k, once again its just an accord w/ all the bells& whistles.
Old 12-09-04, 07:56 AM
NYLEXGS
Driver School Candidate

the LS 430 is truly an amazing luxury car and by far one of the best in its class. I was on the same boat a couple of months ago when deciding what car to choose, but it also included a S 500, but anyway in reagards to a 2004 LS 430 vs 04 BMW 745, my choice was the LS 430. I love the reliability of the vehicle, knowing i am a peace when driving it and i don't have to worry about a mechanical or electrical failure and running back and forth from the dealer....that is too embrassing.. Never the less my thought process was different when choosing the LS 430, i know it is pure luxury also i got the custom package. I knew when compare to 745 it wasn't as sporty as that, plus w/ those big 19's wheels. BUT I LOVE TO CUSTOMIZE my cars to look different from the rest. So I got a black exterior and saddle interior, and I bought a WALD Kit, AC roof spoiler and TOM's trunck spoiler and I allready have a set of 20" LDI, so my preference was different when choosing the LS 430 over the 745. IMO......
Old 12-09-04, 08:04 AM
zdude
Driver School Candidate

I used to be a big BMW fan. I've still have a 98 3 series but it will soon be replaced I have also owned a '97 5 series and an '01 X5. The X5 had so many problems, over 25 service visits in 3 years. I've also have problems with the 3 series (problems never fixed) and the dealer always says that is the way it works, designed , yada, yada. If you are fortuate enough to get a trouble free BMW then go for it BUT if you get a bad one, well, most of the BMW dealers suck, IMHO, and BMWNA is powerless to help you. Personally, I do not like the looks of any of the Bangled cars. I think the interior and exterior is horrible compared to any other cars in that price range. I bought the 2004 LS430 w/euro sport package and I am very happy with the handling and drive of the Lexus. My wife's E320 will probably be replaced by the new GS, I've had unfixable problems with that car as well. Seems euro cars reliablilty has gone down hill. Also, look at the resale value of the BMWs (esp. the 745) - I would lease and not buy just to CYA.
Good luck.
Old 12-09-04, 08:28 AM
LStyle
Pole Position

Consumer Reports rates the LS 430 as the most reliable lexury car. BMW 7 Series is 175% below average in last place on their list. Enough said. When you pay that much money you shouldn't have to visit a dealer every other week. I would definetly go with Lexus.
Old 12-09-04, 08:57 AM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

you can't go wrong with either car (other than BMW's reliability issues)

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=7
http://motortrend.com/roadtests/luxu...s/index14.html

http://popularmechanics.com/automoti...xus_ls_430_or/

http://info.detnews.com/autosconsume...x.cfm?id=12072
http://info.detnews.com/autosconsume...x.cfm?id=12235

there are a ton of newspapers that have driven them.

IMO the LS430 > 745i, now the V12 7er is another matter.
really depends on you're needs, and what you're looking for...the two have diffrent personalities.
reliability issues aside, you should already know which you want.

btw of course people are biased here, you'll get the same responses on a BMW forum.

If I were you, I'd wait...the LS is replaced, and will be on sale next yr. It should easily be worth it.
Old 12-09-04, 09:11 AM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a bit biased.... I think you should go read some of the issues the bimmer guys are having w/ the 745's....my personal opinion... when I see a 745 I see a baller but then I think the car is damn ugly. Plus I-drive really really sucks! The interior is very nice and kinda sporty cutting edge. You can surely expect great handling and power. beware of the little problems that comes w/ bimmers. although if I were to lease and both were the same price and I actually liked the way the 745 looked I'd probably go w/ the 745 because it sort of has an appeal to it.... maybe its just the buying into the BS but hey i'm a victim of it too.

the LS430 is truly a luxury automobile. The more i look at it the more i LOVe it.... I love the headlights and I think when I first saw one up "CLOSE" parked next to me I realized that the car truly demands presence but in a very subtle way. It looked very large next to my IS and just oozed with subtle hints of ....its not so much in your face but the more you pay attention to it the more it impresses me. Plus after seeing some kits and wheels on the LS430 I think it is truly the HOTTNESSS!!!! Have you not seen the JP Celsior yet??? that thing is so noice!!! I would trade my GS in for the LS in a heartbeat. and then you have the obvious lexus reliability and customer service. Oh and the Interior is very classy.... not as cutting edge and fast appeal as the 745 but sitting inside makes me feel important. Sitting int he 745 makes me feel pimp. to be honest I'd rather be important.
Old 12-09-04, 09:16 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have you test driven either car ??
Old 12-09-04, 09:30 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

For the same price, I would get the 745i. No brainer. It has much more presence than the LS.
Old 12-09-04, 10:19 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Consider this...

Buy or Lease?

Since most lease owners don't care about reliability, you should go with your heart on that purchase. BMW has a good program to pick-up your car and deliver you a working one in the event of a break-down. If you want the appearance of wealth and disregard for common sense regarding the qaulity of a luxury car, get the Bimmer. I've had a 5 series. It was one of the worst cars ever. Fun to drive, but kept me guess about when the next breakdown.

The LS has been ranked by several independent companies as the best car in its class. Reliability is certainly not the only factor. Resale, options, value, etc all make up a fine automobile. If you plan to BUY a car, the LS is the best decision by far. As mentioned before, the resale value on the 7 series (all of them) is worse than the Lexus. In 4 years, it will be worth 44% of the original value. The Lexus will be 46%. Doing the math...

List Price:
$70k (745i) --- $58k (LS430)

Resale in 4 yrs.
$30k (745i) --- $27k (LS430)

Depreciation:
$40k ---$31k

Insurance is higher on the Bimmer. Gas mileage is roughly the same. 5 yr service cost is higher also. Just makes sense to me....

Quick Reply: Seriously, w/o bias bmw745i or LS430CL 04'