Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Luxury makers before the Japanese?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-04, 01:31 AM
rdollie
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty much both from what I recall. However if you are talking prestige I would think BMW has always been higher than Volvo. Of course there was a study released earlier this week that showed that Volvo ranked as the number 1 car amongst socialites - whatever that means.

Now if you want to say luxury I could EASILY argue that neither BMW or Volvo were really luxury brands until very recent years (sit in a few e36s and you will quickly realize just how recently BMW discovered the magic of bumping up the content and the base price to high levels.)

Originally posted by Incendiary
The list for the 70's or the 80's? Or both? I'm talking more "prestige" than I am volume.
Old 12-14-04, 10:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally posted by rdollie
there was a study released earlier this week that showed that Volvo ranked as the number 1 car amongst socialites - whatever that means.

Now
If it means what I understand it to mean, then I'm surprised ANY car ranks first with them....they would have all of us riding bicycles.
Old 12-14-04, 12:14 PM
rdollie
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you confused the term 'socialites' with 'tree huggers.' The former are the movers and shakers on the social scene and the latter are - well weird (and not typical of owners of modern Volvos in the least.)

Originally posted by mmarshall
If it means what I understand it to mean, then I'm surprised ANY car ranks first with them....they would have all of us riding bicycles.