Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Unofficial "Winter Beater" thread !!! Post 'em up!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-04, 01:31 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just bought it... cant take the Lexus to Campus when i re-start college next sem ... (cause the LEx has too much $$ in audio/video) dont wanna risk it being stolen... u know how college campus's are ..)

side aero kits, litronics hid headlights... carbon fiber interior acents, 5spd 2000
Attached Thumbnails The Unofficial "Winter Beater" thread !!! Post 'em up!!-porsche-my-yellow.jpg  
Old 12-11-04, 02:19 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by CamRen
just bought it... cant take the Lexus to Campus when i re-start college next sem ... (cause the LEx has too much $$ in audio/video) dont wanna risk it being stolen... u know how college campus's are ..)

side aero kits, litronics hid headlights... carbon fiber interior acents, 5spd 2000

Man, your really roughing it this winter. Hope things pick up for you real soon.

My winter "beater" will be my SC since I can only afford one car. Just put the stocks on today.
Old 12-11-04, 02:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by GRAND_LS 4
I think he means he doesnt have an extra 20K laying around. But im sure you can get an old truck for $1000-$1500 that you can use and not worry about.
Like I said in my post.....you can get used vehicles for less. But vehicles in the $1000-1500 range are often pretty questionable. Remember....these are winter beaters. You DON'T want one breaking down in the middle of a blizzard. That can be dangerous.
Old 12-12-04, 01:58 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally posted by mmarshall
Like I said in my post.....you can get used vehicles for less. But vehicles in the $1000-1500 range are often pretty questionable. Remember....these are winter beaters. You DON'T want one breaking down in the middle of a blizzard. That can be dangerous.
I just heavily rust-proof my ES & a good coat of wax before winter......keep the salt off it when the temperature is above freezing & it's as good as any place in North America not exposed to the harsh winter conditions many in the north (Both the U.S. & Canada) have to endure.
Old 12-12-04, 06:22 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Even though we get quite a bit of snow, I can never justify the expense of getting an AWD car as opposed to a decent FWD with winter tires. For one thing, I don't do any kind of off-roading. I only drive on city streets and the highway. Why on earth would I need an AWD car?

I find it hard to understand why some people consider it so important to get an AWD vehicle when they won't be taking the vehicle off road. Makes no sense to me at all. I have never been stuck in snow - and we are talking about anywhere between 6 - 12 inches of the stuff. My trusty Maxima has always come through for me.

The SINGLE AND ONLY advantage that an AWD vehicle has over FWD is that it has better traction from a stop. Where it matters more - braking and cornering, the advantage of AWD is next to negligible.

Why buy an AWD for the increased gas consumption (comparing two exact same cars from the same manufacturer or even cars from a different manufacturer in the same category), potentially more mechanical problems because of the added complexity of AWD, etc? Does not add up to me at all.

I will get off my soap box now. I know mmarshall loves AWD vehicles and I am sure you will comment on my statements above!

Here is my trusty go anywhere in the snow/winter/summer car!
Old 12-12-04, 09:33 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Hameed
Even though we get quite a bit of snow, I can never justify the expense of getting an AWD car as opposed to a decent FWD with winter tires. For one thing, I don't do any kind of off-roading. I only drive on city streets and the highway. Why on earth would I need an AWD car?

I find it hard to understand why some people consider it so important to get an AWD vehicle when they won't be taking the vehicle off road. Makes no sense to me at all. I have never been stuck in snow - and we are talking about anywhere between 6 - 12 inches of the stuff. My trusty Maxima has always come through for me.

The SINGLE AND ONLY advantage that an AWD vehicle has over FWD is that it has better traction from a stop. Where it matters more - braking and cornering, the advantage of AWD is next to negligible.

Why buy an AWD for the increased gas consumption (comparing two exact same cars from the same manufacturer or even cars from a different manufacturer in the same category), potentially more mechanical problems because of the added complexity of AWD, etc? Does not add up to me at all.

I will get off my soap box now. I know mmarshall loves AWD vehicles and I am sure you will comment on my statements above!

Here is my trusty go anywhere in the snow/winter/summer car!
I'll take a bite Hameed
From My Situation/Point of View:

After driving a Toyota Previa RWD for 12 winters its night and day compared to an AWD. Traction from a start in the Previa is non exsistent. We have found ourselves many times at a disadvantage to the snow, not being able to accelarate, getting stuck, horrible handling and a general feeling of unrest during winter driving. The only regret in purchasing the Previa was opting out of the 4wd model.

So my question when its time for a new car is, why not? Most AWD systems of today are not really meant for "off road" use, but just regular driving for less than ideal road conditions. I think AWD is worth it just for its traction capabilities in the winter (I go skiing a lot), additional traction/response (black ice), and most importantly peace of mind when loved ones drive the vehicle.

I also feel that AWD and Side Impact Torso/Curtain Airbags are two very important features.

***Hameed, was that picture taken at Eginton & (I forgot the other street)

Last edited by bizzy928; 12-12-04 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-12-04, 09:40 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally posted by bizzy928
I'll take a bite Hameed
From My Situation/Point of View:

After driving a Toyota Previa RWD for 12 winters its night and day compared to an AWD. Traction from a start in the Previa is non exsistent. We have found ourselves many times at a disadvantage to the snow, not being able to accelarate, getting stuck, horrible handling and a general feeling of unrest during winter driving. The only regret in purchasing the Previa was opting out of the 4wd model.

So my question when its time for a new car is, why not? Most AWD systems of today are not really meant for "off road" use, but just regular driving for less than ideal road conditions. I think AWD is worth it just for its traction capabilities in the winter (I go skiing a lot), additional traction/response (black ice), and most importantly peace of mind when loved ones drive the vehicle.

I also feel that AWD and Side Impact Torso/Curtain Airbags are two very important features.
Those are very valid points bro!

However if you read my initial post again I specifically was comparing the advantages of AWD to a FWD car with winter tires. And I used my Maxima in that comparison.

The advantages of the AWD vehicle over a FWD with winter tires is very negligible IMHO.
Old 12-12-04, 09:47 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Those are very valid points bro!

However if you read my initial post again I specifically was comparing the advantages of AWD to a FWD car with winter tires. And I used my Maxima in that comparison.

The advantages of the AWD vehicle over a FWD with winter tires is very negligible IMHO.
Devils Advocate
After experience in a RWD with all seasons, FWD with winter tires and AWD with all seasons there is still that peace of mind factor and traction that the AWD wins

I get your point though Hameed, take that new Tuscon that just came out. The base FWD model is equipped with traction control, abs and electronic stability control. I'm sure if you put a set of winters on that vehicle, the differences will be slight as compared to the same AWD model with TC, ABS and ESC. But for a few thousand more for the AWD (if your budget allows) then why not? I could see a real delimma if the price difference is HUGE.

We should do some comparisons during the next large snow storm

Edit #1*** I would like to add on to how much of a factor peace of mind could be. Think of safety when purchasing a car. It would be okay to assume that most consumers look for a "safe" car, whether it be airbags, electronics or crumple zones when purchasing a car. You have the peace of mind that your vehicle is "safe" but its not something you would want to test either.

That brings us back to our original question. Why get AWD if you aren't going to "use it all the time?"

For peace of mine

Edit #2*** Wow, I sure did use a lot of emoticons....

Last edited by bizzy928; 12-12-04 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-12-04, 10:03 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by Technics; 12-12-04 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-12-04, 01:50 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

All my cars have been FWD & I have never been stuck anywhere with them.......if the weather is that bad out , it's probable a wise idea to stay put anyways (unless your stranded of course) or find shelter untill one can leave safely. Never put a set of winter rubber on either........never had the need & I doubt I ever will.
Old 12-12-04, 03:07 PM
The_Hitman
Lexus Champion

So I was at class and it snowed all day... Alot of good my garage did then
Old 12-12-04, 03:30 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 12-12-04, 04:03 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank God we don't have weather liek that here in Sydney Seems scary driving in the snow!
Old 12-12-04, 05:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm not necessarily an AWD junkie. AWD is great for all-around use in foul-weather areas but is not the answer for everyvbody. The AWD systems add weight, drag, and complexity, and generally lower gas mileage. They work best, of course, and make the most sense in snowy areas. They also ( to a lesser extent ) improve handling and traction on wet roads as well.
But....for inexpensive $30,000-and under cars...I am VERY impressed with Subaru's AWD systems. I won't lie about that.....I've made a number of posts here at CL on the Subaru AWD systems. With the flat-4 and flat-6 boxer engines, Subaru has a simple, durable, tried-and-tested system that doesn't need 90-and 180-degree bevel-turn gears like those on cars with transverse engines. I only wish that the Subaru engines were as durable as Toyota / Lexus's...they generally aren't, especially with head gaskets.
I also have posted...and will do so again.....that I'd like to see an IS300 AWD. It shouldn't be too hard to do with the in-line engine....though it won't be as simple as the Subaru system because of the placement of the engine further back under the hood .

The 2005 Outback and Legacy are GREAT products...perhaps the best all-around vehicles Subaru has ever produced. The interiors, especially, are Lexus-quality at a Subaru price.There is a good chance that one will be my next car....especially if Lexus drags its feet on an IS300AWD.
Old 12-12-04, 08:50 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can't afford a winter beater nor justify having a second car.
<---- only a college kid
i just make sure i have reallie good tires for when it rains like a ****.

Quick Reply: The Unofficial "Winter Beater" thread !!! Post 'em up!!