Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Unofficial "Winter Beater" thread !!! Post 'em up!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-04, 08:51 PM
95BlackSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Technics

I love the way that color looks in the snow

And as for affording a winter beater, i need to fix some things on my broke *** SC before i even think about something else.

Ballin on a budget baby
Old 12-14-04, 12:25 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: The Unofficial "Winter Beater" thread !!! Post 'em up!!

Originally posted by mmarshall
That Cherokee will be a good vehicle for getting through the snow...especially with those knobby tires...but it is VERY IMPORTANT that you remember a couple of things while using the 4WD:

IF it has Jeep's Selec-Trac All-Wheel-Drive option, ( Most Cherokees DO NOT) you can generally just set it and forget it....the Selec-Trac system will let all four wheels rotate independently whatever surface you are on, and vary torque on demand like on Subarus, RAV-4's, CRV's, etc....

MOST Cherokees, though, use the less-sophisticated Command-Trac 4WD system that you also find on Wranglers. This is a simple, cheap system that is generally used for off-roading.....but it CANNOT be used on dry pavement because it does not allow for any differences in rotational speed among the four wheels. Generally this is not a problem as long as the dry road is straight...all four wheels will rotate together at the same speed......but on a dry curve, THAT is where you have problems. The outside wheels, naturally, want to rotate faster than the inside ones, and the Command-Trac system doesn't allow this. So you get all kinds of problems and stresses on the tires, wheels, wheel bearings, U and CV-Joints, and driveline.

The Command-Trac system is fine as long as the road underneath of you is slippery or unpaved. But sometimes a paved road will be icy in one spot, wet in another, and dry in other places...especially if it has been plowed. So...with Command-Trac...just be aware of what is underneath you at all times....that's all.

So....to ALL of you guys with part-time 4WD systems like Jeep's Command-Trac, no matter WHAT vehicle it is on....the SAME rules apply on dry pavement.

Some part-time 4WD vehicles also have a sticker on the dash with the no-dry-pavement rule. Some...like the Ford Explorer....have selectable part-time, full-time, and low-range systems with a dashboard switch.

Anyhow........................Good luck this winter

Agreed 100% It's a no-brainer for me since we have had probably 5 or 6 JEEP brand vehicles in our family over the past decade. I actually prefer the Command-Trac system for the simple fact that I am a little more involved in the transition from 2WD to 4WD. Maybe it's just me, but I feel the newest AWD systems make us lazy. I like to KNOW that both of my diffs are engaged and I put them there. Without getting out and locking hubs and everything.

As for the actual "need" for 4WD short of off-roading, I too have had many FWD vehicles in heavy snow over the years and have never been stuck, but if I head to the mountains to go skiing 4WD is my choice hands down. Much rather have 4 wheels pulling for me than 2.

Many folks use AWD and 4WD as a "crutch" without really knowing how to control a vehicle in bad conditions without it.. I feel everyone should learn the basics of vehicle control in slippery conditions using RWD first , then FWD, AWD, 4WD by playing around in a large open snow-covered lot if possible. Plus, it's pretty fun!!!
Old 12-14-04, 04:48 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Originally posted by Soarer_25GTT
Thank God we don't have weather liek that here in Sydney Seems scary driving in the snow!
Not really. We get an average of 14.5 inches of snow a year that mostly doesn't stick to the roads. I look forward to good snow days because 80% or more of the people stay home. It's actually the best and safest time to drive around here.

Forgot to add that 14.5 inches of snow-about .35 meters.

Last edited by jaydunn; 12-14-04 at 04:52 PM.