Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

RX 330 Plant Tour (review pg 3)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-05, 04:08 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope this message makes it to Stuart Payne, Edge & Richard who we met along with so many fine people at the RX330 plant tour on Jan. 25, 2004. Both my wife and I had such a wonderful time and would like to thank you all for the including us in the first ever tour of the RX330 plant. We hope that there are more tours where other Lexus owners like ourselves get the chance to see perfection in motion. To Mr. Payne thank you for the 30 or so minute chat we had on Lexus in general it really made me proud to be an owner to hear the passionate pursuit of perfection voiced from yourself. To Richard who we chatted for a good hour on the coach ride up to Langdon Hall thank you for answering so many of my questions even thou we tried our best to get info on new product you wouldn't say anything. To Edge who sat and had lunch with us i'm on the lookout for good Sushi place for you. Thank you for great chat we had as well. One thing I would change with regards to the tour is when you give out the survey at the end I didn't think we had enough time to get our thoughts down the way I wanted to put them. Maybe give the survey out on the Coach back to Langdon Hall so we have more time to think of everything we wanted to say. Just a thought.
Just sent my email off to Lexus Canada and I thought I would share what I said. I'll attach a few pics of what we got in our gift bag too.
Attached Thumbnails RX 330 Plant Tour (review pg 3)-dscf0363.jpg  
Old 01-26-05, 04:09 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Closeup of the really nice Lexus Pen and case
Attached Thumbnails RX 330 Plant Tour (review pg 3)-dscf0364.jpg  
Old 01-26-05, 04:10 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Closeup of the key chain
Attached Thumbnails RX 330 Plant Tour (review pg 3)-dscf0365.jpg  
Old 01-26-05, 04:11 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Closeup of the cookies and coffee mug
Attached Thumbnails RX 330 Plant Tour (review pg 3)-dscf0366.jpg  
Old 01-26-05, 08:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 2SAVVY
Well just got back from the first ever Lexus RX plant tour and luncheon put on by Lexus Canada. I must say what a wonderful time both my wife and I had. After seeing what goes on behind the making of an RX330 really makes me want to go out and get one.

Couple interesting facts we learned today.

1. A new RX comes off the assembly line every 120 seconds
2. Only 50 Lexus trained employees work per shift (2 shifts per day Mon to Fri)
3. Quality issues on any Lexus model make it back to the specific plant within 10 days
4. They admit to monitoring ClubLexus (So if they see this HI)
5. Lexus intends to get their JD power rating to 50 (Wow)

From the coach bus ride to the lunch (More like a full course meal) at Langdon Hall in Cambridge to the plant tour it was Lexus to the Nth degree.

Discussions with the marketing people and quality technicians at the plant show how much care and love they have for automobiles in general.

Brenden (LexusFreak) and his wife Karen were great to talk to as well on the bus ride and at the event. I'm sure he will add alot more to this.

Before I forget we got 4 gifts for attending the event

1. Lexus Pen (Really nice)
2. Lexus travel mug
3. Lexus key chain
4. Toyota crayons (Weird gift at the plant but appreciated none the less)

Now the IS from what we were told is going to be one super special car. Can't wait for the Geneva show where one Lexus executive plain and simple said BMW will be floored.

Wow, this is great news. Thanks for the info!!!! I wuold love to go to the RX plant someday.

Old 01-28-05, 09:39 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

were you allowed to get pictures in the plant?
Old 01-28-05, 10:55 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUS FAN!
were you allowed to get pictures in the plant?
No, just like you're not allowed to take photos of production at the Nummi Plant (Corolla, Tacoma & Vibe) in Fremont, CA and all the other Toyota Motor Manufacturing plants all over the world.
Old 02-01-05, 06:34 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

To add to Flip's reply even cell phones / PDA's were not allowed inside the plant either as they might disrupted plant machinery. All the body panels for the RX are stamped in house. At the time of our tour they were doing a dye change so we didn't get to see that part of the operation in motion.

Best way I could describe the plant its like going into a Lexus dealership its that clean even with the oak flooring where the staff does one of there final inspections on the RX before they road test.

I got a reply from Lexus last night from my email I sent to customer service thanking us for all the input. Brenden i'm still working on them to get one of those Lexus signs for my garage.

As a side note I forgot to tell the story about the LF-A that the Lexus Rep (Richard) was telling us on the Coach ride up to Cambridge. He was able to take the LF-A out in Japan but the test drive was done at night on one of Toyota's test tracks at night without NO LIGHTS on so there was no chance at spy photos. Whoever drove the LF-A had to prove they could knew the track configuration before doing the night drive and had to sign a waiver of liability too. BTW the LF-A that was driven had a V10 engine. He also said if this car is made it will blow everything out of the water in the price range.
Old 02-01-05, 06:43 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

. . . BTW the LF-A that was driven had a V10 engine. He also said if this car is made it will blow everything out of the water in the price range.
I really hope they do. If so & I hope they put that V10 in their top sedans too
Old 02-01-05, 04:38 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Found this picture on the web of the Lexus Covenant that is on display at the RX 330 plant. When we were on the tour they specifically stopped and read this to us.

Old 02-02-05, 11:14 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Best way I could describe the plant its like going into a Lexus dealership its that clean even with the oak flooring where the staff does one of there final inspections on the RX before they road test.

I got a reply from Lexus last night from my email I sent to customer service thanking us for all the input. Brenden i'm still working on them to get one of those Lexus signs for my garage.
Keep me posted Ken on those Lexus signs! I'll ask them as well if your successful. Awesome pics of the 'Lexus sign' & plant assembly line btw!