Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Ruination of the BMW Brand ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-04, 05:38 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno, I would definitely buy it. In fact, my perfect car line-up would be a 125i (or M1) hatchback as a daily driver and a Mazdaspeed Miata for the weekends. I don't need a huge car as I'm usually the only one driving. I think a 3-series is too big for most people as a daily driver, and I include myself in that generalization. Don't even get me started on people driving Suburbans as their dailies...

Here's how I see my obsession with the 1er. I'd want it in hatchback form because it's got more cargo capacity than the comparable sedan/coupe. I'd want its 4 doors because it's more convenient for passengers/cargo, and I'd want RWD because it handles better and is lighter than an AWD alternative.

So I guess if you're just looking for a fun quality car and don't care about name (or high price prestige), it's a nice car. It's first on my list to buy for my next car (well, first after the Miata, of course!).
Old 12-13-04, 05:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by CK6Speed
Me? Give me some credit,
Credit desired...............Credit given
Old 12-13-04, 05:44 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Originally posted by Incendiary
Here's how I see my obsession with the 1er. I'd want it in hatchback form because it's got more cargo capacity than the comparable sedan/coupe. I'd want its 4 doors because it's more convenient for passengers/cargo, and I'd want RWD because it handles better and is lighter than an AWD alternative.
Did you read the review? Space is generally lacking.

Anyway,

Any of the turbo Subarus = cheaper than 1-Series and have more street cred, quality, and far more performance.

I admit a RWD import car with 4 doors for that price (I'm guessing it will start around $25K) is tempting, but it has far too many vices which tip the scale unfavorably despite rear-drive.
Old 12-13-04, 05:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by GS3Tek

I don't condone street or even street race, just fast enough to the past the one who's driving 55 on the fast lane.
You often CAN'T do 55 in ANY of the lanes either in parts of CA where you are or here where I live in the D.C-Baltimore area. Sometimes you are lucky to average 15-20.

Anyhow...back to the 1-series. Has BMW announced where it will be first displayed publically? Detroit as usual? Anybody know?
Old 12-13-04, 05:49 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
Did you read the review? Space is generally lacking.

Anyway,

Any of the turbo Subarus = cheaper than 1-Series and have more street cred, quality, and far more performance.

I admit a RWD import car with 4 doors for that price (I'm guessing it will start around $25K) is tempting, but it has far too many vices which tip the scale unfavorably despite rear-drive.
People have different ideas of what is "enough space." I imagine that I'd be happy with its space capacity if it's similar to the VW Golf (which I wouldn't mind getting in GTI or R32 form if not for the requisite VW reliability/quality concerns...).
Old 12-13-04, 05:50 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by mmarshall
You often CAN'T do 55 in ANY of the lanes either in parts of CA where you are or here where I live in the D.C-Baltimore area. Sometimes you are lucky to average 15-20.

Anyhow...back to the 1-series. Has BMW announced where it will be first displayed publically? Detroit as usual? Anybody know?
The 1er is out in England and, I'd imagine, other European countries already.

I'm taking a road trip from Baltimore to Detroit in Jan to see the NAIAS car show, so I'll let you know around Jan 17 or so.
Old 12-13-04, 05:52 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

So-cal and I'm not talking about rush-hours. Ask any so-cals and they will tell you
Wow! 15-20??? Talk about gridlock! So no sense of getting an SL65
Old 12-13-04, 06:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by GS3Tek
So-cal and I'm not talking about rush-hours. Ask any so-cals and they will tell you
Wow! 15-20??? Talk about gridlock! So no sense of getting an SL65
Yeah...SoCal is considered the country's worst traffic....with D.C-Baltimore in second place. ( both are worse even than New York ! ) We don't have the large number of alternative routes and freeways you guys do either. The political correctness here is so pervasive it has completely strangled new roads and bridges from being built.
Old 12-13-04, 09:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well i am not sure, maybe you just need to find a good time to drive. i lived in LA for about 6 yrs before i moved to norcal, i dind't really get into traffic much. get the right time to drive and it's all good

and nop, i put my gs4 into VERY good use in socal
Old 12-14-04, 12:09 AM
iloveGS300
Driver

This is just brand dilution. I hope lexus doesnt offer this kind of crap, thank god toyota and scion has their backs, taking care of the economy car segment. I am going to laughing out loud whoever I see driving this.

Robert

Last edited by iloveGS300; 12-14-04 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-14-04, 03:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by iloveGS300
This is just brand dilution. I hope lexus doesnt offer this kind of crap, thank god toyota and scion has their backs, taking care of the economy car segment. I am going to laughing out loud whoever I see driving this.

Robert
How do you know they won't be laughing right BACK? They might think the same of whatever you're driving.
Old 12-14-04, 12:29 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

How do you know they won't be laughing right BACK? They might think the same of whatever you're driving.
Judging by his sig probably not

I worry that when lexus releases the "below the ES" car that they are very careful with how they do it. Hopefully they will just can the idea or turn it into a scion/toyota.

As for the 1... I always thought the 318's were (as my mom calls them) "Jr. Executive Cars" made for people who get there first big break and go out and by a beamer.
Old 04-12-08, 11:33 AM
LexFather

Lets fast forward 4 years. We now have the 1-series here but only in coupe and 128/135 forms...Your thoughts?

Old 04-12-08, 12:54 PM
proximal
Driver

Originally Posted by Clarkson
The 1-series will be the ruination of the BMW brand. Of that I have no doubt...
And it’s why I’m choosing the words for my conclusion with even more care than usual. So here goes. The 1-series is crap.
And the update...

Originally Posted by Clarkson
The fact of the matter is this. The 135 coupé is the best car BMW makes. I have no hesitation at all, then, in giving this long-awaited return to form the rare accolade of five stars.
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol...cle3103294.ece
Old 04-12-08, 01:25 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by proximal
What a turnaround of opinion.

Quick Reply: The Ruination of the BMW Brand ?