Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Ruination of the BMW Brand ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-04, 11:22 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default The Ruination of the BMW Brand ?

December 12, 2004

BMW 1-series

Only now, with the launch of the 1-series, this last bastion of BMWishness has gone. Because the 1-series, like a Focus or an Astra or a Golf, is a five-door family hatchback.

The 1-series will be the ruination of the BMW brand. Of that I have no doubt. But at the moment that ruination has no yet got into its stride. For now you can still buy a Beemer with your dignity intact. The question is, should you?

Jeremy Clarkson

By Jeremy Clarkson of The Sunday Times

This car is taking BMW into dangerous territory

One of the things I used to admire about BMW was the focus shown by its designers and engineers. They were the snipers of the car industry, lying in wait while the enemy blundered about with smoking tanks and faulty machineguns, and then, boomf, delivering a killer shot that never missed.
Once the company had stopped fiddling about with three-wheelers and converted post office vans, it developed a recipe that served it well for nigh on 30 years. All its cars had double headlamps at the front, a straight-six engine in the middle, and rear-wheel drive at the back.

There were, in essence, three body styles, five engines and a range of options, so the customer could indulge in a spot of pick’n’mix.

You could have a small car with a big engine and no equipment. Or you could have a large car with a small engine and electric everything. But whatever you chose there was a rightness to the feel of the thing. A sense that the company had put driving pleasure above everything else.

Then it did a Coca-Cola. The sniper decided he didn’t want to be a sniper any more and changed the damn recipe. So we ended up with four-wheel-drive cars that were made in America, and two-seater convertibles, and a wide range of diesel engines. And then it put a chap called Chris Bangle in charge of design.

Before Bangle, most BMWs adhered to the same set of rules. They had a lean-forward shark’s nose, they had the double-kidney grille, they had grey paint and then there was that little kink on the rear pillar. It’s called the Hofmeister kink, after the man who invented it, and it gives the car an aggressive, lean-forward stance.

Now, though, all of these design cues have been lost in a sea of planes and creases that probably play well in design circles. But in the real world they don’t look modern or sharp. They look daft.

Still, at least the BMW badge continued to count for something. Apart from dipping their toe into the mass market with the truly awful 3-series Compact, Beemers were always a cut above norm. They were what you bought to demonstrate that life was treating you well.

Only now, with the launch of the 1-series, this last bastion of BMWishness has gone. Because the 1-series, like a Focus or an Astra or a Golf, is a five-door family hatchback.

For now, of course, this is great. It means a large number of people who could never afford a BMW in the past can put that blue and white badge on their drive. The neighbours will be impressed. The curtains will twitch. Men will offer their daughters to your sons.

But how long will it be, I wonder, before the 1-series does for BMW what Freddie Laker did for air travel? Turns something glamorous and exciting into a “win free save!” orgy of packaged mass transportation.

In the early Seventies, if you went to Florida for your holidays you were seen as pretty cool. But now you’re seen as a rather stupid oik.

The 1-series will be the ruination of the BMW brand. Of that I have no doubt. But at the moment, despite the lost vision and the appointment of Bangle, that ruination has not yet got into its stride. For now you can still buy a Beemer and survive the experience with your dignity intact. The question is, should you? And to answer that, we have to work out if the 1-series is any good.

The advertisements tell us, endlessly, that unlike any other family hatchback on the market it has rear-wheel drive. And that’s great. Rear-wheel drive is a significant part of BMW’s DNA.

In a front-wheel-drive car the front wheels have to deal with the steering and the delivery of the engine’s power to the road. It’s a tough job and in most cases, for the purist at least, the end result is deeply unsatisfying. With rear-wheel drive the back wheels do the power delivery, leaving those at the front to get on with steering. It’s a much more expensive option but the result is balance. And balance is a building block on which something spectacular can be created.

You can feel the benefits, immediately, in the 1-series. Even at normal, trundling-about speeds it feels more together than even the Focus, king of the front-drivers.
There’s more, too. In the Beemer you have a thick steering wheel, a short-throw gearchange, and an antilock braking system that cuts in when you’re in real trouble and not because it can’t be bothered to work out when that moment might be. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that as a driving machine this is a significant cut above the hatchback norm.

And now, here comes the but, galloping over the hills with news of many, many problems that will leave you wishing, with all your heart, that you’d bought something else.

First of all there’s the styling. Now I know that when it comes to hatchbacks familiarity breeds indifference. The new Astra is a truly stunning piece of design, but like pylons you see so many you simply don’t notice the grace and cleverness. The BMW, however, is just plain ugly. It may have the double headlamps and the kidney grille and the Hofmeister kink, but viewed as a whole it looks like a van.

So what about the engine? Well, the petrol version will get you from 0 to 60 in about two hours, so if you want any poke at all, and surely that’s the reason why you’re buying a BMW, you have to go for the diesel. It’s not a bad diesel by any standards, but come on. Where’s the fun in a car that sounds like a canal boat? So it’s slow and ugly and now things really go downhill because thanks to the prop shaft and all the other rear-wheel-drive gubbins, there is no space in the back. And I don’t mean that legroom is limited. I mean there is absolutely none at all.

Even BMW says this car will sell to young people with no children, but this is silly. If you have no children, why buy a family hatchback? Because you want a big boot? Well forget that as well, because in the 1-series it’s tiny.

And then there’s the ride, which thanks to the fitment of run-flat tyres is intolerable on anything but a kitchen work surface, and the quality of some trim pieces, which will disappoint those who may have expected granite rather than Plasticine.

But the worst thing about the 1-series is the prices. In the past BMWs were expensive because they were demonstrably better, and more exciting, than all of their rivals. But the 1-series, as we’ve seen, is demonstrably worse.

And yet for the top-of-the-range diesel you are asked to pay £20,700, and anything up to £32,000 if you go berserk with the options list. Even if you show some self restraint you’d be lucky to put a car like this on the road for less than £23,000, and I’m sorry, but you can have two hatchbacks for that.

Park one of these on your drive and the neighbours will not think, “Hmm, that’s an expensive car. He must be doing well.” They’ll think, “Hmm, that’s an expensive car. He must be off his rocker.” You can have a Golf GTI for less, and that, in almost every single way, is a better car.

So if you want a hatchback, buy a Focus. If you want a hatchback with some go, buy the VW. If you just want some action and you don’t care about space in the back, or a hard ride, or the price, buy a sports car. A Honda S2000 would be fine.

I have been accused, in recent years, of having it in for BMW. There was even some talk, after my recent review of the dreadful X3, that I would not be allowed any more press demonstrators. And this is why I’ve devoted the entire column this week to a test of the 1-series rather than tagging it on to the end of a rant about cheese.

And it’s why I’m choosing the words for my conclusion with even more care than usual. So here goes. The 1-series is crap.

VITAL STATISTICS

Model BMW 120d Sport
Engine type Four-cylinder, 1995cc
Power 163bhp @ 4000rpm
Torque 250 lb ft @ 2000rpm
Transmission Six-speed manual, rear-wheel drive
Fuel/CO2 49.6mpg (combined) / 152g/km
Tyres 205/55 R 16
Acceleration 0-62mph: 7.9sec
Top speed 137mph
Price £20,700
Verdict Handles well but essentially pointless
Rating 1/5

Source
Old 12-13-04, 11:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man that's very tough for bimmer to swallow i am sure
Old 12-13-04, 11:51 AM
LexFather

I LOVE JEREMY CLARKSON!!!

This guy is a genius plain and simple.

Old 12-13-04, 11:58 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

I would be tooo embarrass to drive a 1 series. Basically it's saying "I'm too dam poor to even buy a
3 series" so as long as I can say that I own a "B...M...W..." so sad Heck, that's what I'll be saying when a poor sap buys one of these.

Jeremy Clarkson is like that guy? who ripped the Crossfire into shreds
Old 12-13-04, 12:12 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The Ruination of the BMW Brand ?

Originally posted by SexySC
[
And it’s why I’m choosing the words for my conclusion with even more care than usual. So here goes. The 1-series is crap.

Source [/B]

that line sums pretty much everything up!

Old 12-13-04, 12:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, the "problem" here....if you can call it that.......is that the 1-series, IMO, is probably the best (or least-offensive-looking) design that Bangle has come up with yet....and the only one of his designs that, even if I am not in love with it, I could at least park it in my driveway without throwing up. And the base 1-series models, at least, have no I-Drive either....another plus. So...I'm not sure that this car will ruin BMW. It just may be the other way around...this car just might keep Bangle's head above water. (barely).
Old 12-13-04, 12:22 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by mmarshall
Well, the "problem" here....if you can call it that.......is that the 1-series, IMO, is probably the best (or least-offensive-looking) design that Bangle has come up with yet....and the only one of his designs that, even if I am not in love with it, I could at least park it in my driveway without throwing up. And the base 1-series models, at least, have no I-Drive either....another plus. So...I'm not sure that this car will ruin BMW. It just may be the other way around...this car just might keep Bangle's head above water. (barely).
I dunno. If I am going to buy a Benz, it will be a Benz. Not some hatchback with a badge(C230 thingie). If I am going to buy a BMW, it will be an actual BMW, not these1 series badges with wheels on them.
1 Series or Toyota Matrix?

Old 12-13-04, 12:28 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

i will get matrix. i dont want to dirve a FISH.
Old 12-13-04, 12:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't see any reason why a small, inexpensive BMW can't sell, especially if Bangle doesn't screw it up too much, and, IMO, he has not really screwed THIS one up like he did its big brothers. The original BMW 2002....which this car seeks to more-or-less recreate, sold like hotcakes and still brings good money today as an antique used car if in good condition.
The 1 series' own corporate brother...the Mini Cooper...is also selling like hotcakes. There are long waiting lists and price markups on it, in spite of a poor reliability record.

To be honest, the 1-series certainly would not be first on my list for a new car.....but to be equally honest....it certainly would not be last, either. it would be about halfway down.
Old 12-13-04, 12:44 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by GS3Tek
I would be tooo embarrass to drive a 1 series. Basically it's saying "I'm too dam poor to even buy a
3 series" so as long as I can say that I own a "B...M...W..." so sad p:
The problem is, on the BMW forums you will still have posts in their Kill Section saying they got killed by a Honda Civic, but at least I'm driving home in a BMW.
Old 12-13-04, 12:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by CK6Speed
The problem is, on the BMW forums you will still have posts in their Kill Section saying they got killed by a Honda Civic, but at least I'm driving home in a BMW.
This is NONSENSE. What's the big deal "who can kill who"? You don't buy either car ( in stock form) to drag race.
Old 12-13-04, 01:30 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I LOVE JEREMY CLARKSON!!!

This guy is a genius plain and simple.
w0rd up. That article slayed me.
Old 12-13-04, 02:15 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

That article is sooo true!

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 12-13-04 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-13-04, 02:40 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally posted by CK6Speed

I don't condone street or even street race, just fast enough to the past the one who's driving 55 on the fast lane.
Old 12-13-04, 03:07 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by mmarshall
This is NONSENSE. What's the big deal "who can kill who"? You don't buy either car ( in stock form) to drag race.
Me? No. But I'm just making a joke about what I think I will see on the BMW forums. You have to agree, you already see the exact same thing with the BMW 318 in their kill section. Give me some credit, I've never posted any kill story in any forum because I don't drag race. I'm ashamed to admit I street raced probably about 6 times in my 16 years of driving, but other than that I really could care less about 0-60 times otherwise I wouldn't have defended the RLs V6 vs V8 in that other topic. The big smilie face was supposed to relay that it was a joke.

Quick Reply: The Ruination of the BMW Brand ?