Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Resale value on TT Supra unreal

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-04, 08:26 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Resale value on TT Supra unreal

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1998/toy...tion.1.Toyota*

I can't believe how much a used Toyota Supra TT is worth. A 98 w/40k miles dealer retail for $30k.
That's more than a GS400 or LS. Are they that rare?
Attached Thumbnails Resale value on TT Supra unreal-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg  

Last edited by chuckb; 12-14-04 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-14-04, 08:46 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure they went way down to like $16K and now have shot up. There is so much un-tapped performance in those things they are amazing. Pretty cool when a recent car like that actually appreciates in value.
Old 12-14-04, 09:54 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Default yep

There was a time in 1999 they fell down under 20k I know because I was trying to get one, but a few years after that they have steadily appreciated. Man I wish I didn't put off buying one, just like not buying real estate in So Cal 3 years ago, I got priced out. The 6 Speed manual Twin Turbo is the car to get, good luck though. Even if you could find a seller and were willing to pay the increaed price, you better have cash in hand, because lots of people are going to be lined up to buy it.

Another good example is the 1993-1995 MR2 Turbo, they start at 10k and go up. Never down.

Only 2 cars I know that go up in value as they age since there is no sign of cars that good being made anytime soon.

Last edited by toy4two; 12-14-04 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-14-04, 10:16 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

OH MAN jan/feb 03 I just got my 4Runner and I was with my father, we stopped at the Nissan dealer cause he liked the Altima and out front was a 98 tt 6speed supra, car had 16k on it some low mileage number, since it was sub zero temps noone buys sports car and they priced it to sell, it was 17k, it was green and garaged it's entire life, traded for a 350Z..

After doing some reading and searching, I realized what I walked by and flew to the dealer only to find the spot empty and the salesman told me they sold it

From what I found the car in that configuration should have been 30k, I've found other Supras similiar to it but as much as 50k they wanted now Im looking for wrecks and I'll built it back to what it was

but still, it hurts to think about that supra
Old 12-14-04, 10:34 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hah, yeh Supras are like Real Estate. The Supra I had I sold for a very nice profit and that was 1 year/ 10,000 miles after I had bought it
Old 12-14-04, 10:47 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I always loved the car, and hopefully soon, I would like to purchase one. But doesnt the movie Fast and Furious have something to do with its appreciation??
Old 12-14-04, 10:49 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by magneto112
I always loved the car, and hopefully soon, I would like to purchase one. But doesnt the movie Fast and Furious have something to do with its appreciation??
My deal went down before the movie came out so they have been selling for way above normal #'s before the movie came out. The movie pushed it even further though.
Old 12-15-04, 06:35 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

I bet when Toyota decides to sell the Supra in the US again, the MKIV will NOT be worth as much. However, looking at spy pics and everything, even if they bring the "Supra" back, it'll be very very expensive.
Old 12-15-04, 06:38 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how much was a 98 TT new?
Old 12-15-04, 06:50 AM
Onelove
Lead Lap

I personally have sold a 97 Auto with under 10k miles, single turbo'd for over $60,000. In my opinion there are really 3 breeds of Supra.

1. Mint stock ones selling for $25k + (93-95) 32k + (97-98)
2. Cars that need some clean up work and have some miles or just generally aren't clean (19-24k)
3. Cars that have been completely restored or built from scratch (can fetch from 40k-85k pretty easy)

That being said I went with route 3

Last edited by Onelove; 12-15-04 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-15-04, 08:55 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Default right theurr...

man.. i had three choices in cars when i was getting ready to buy my first one only last summer... the supra was my PRIMARY choice.. just because i fell in love with it... it was just too hard to find one... so i went with my second choice and got the GS430... but if i had the chance... i would trade my 430 for a TT supra ANYDAY!
Old 12-15-04, 11:19 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by chuckb
a member on yotatech, had a 94 Supra and the original window sticker was 43,276 so maybe it held around their but I had people tell me by 98 the supra was a 50k car.

I remember working at Toyota as a tech and they sold 4Runners with 5-10k markups cause it was the 4x4 craze and everybody had to have 1 and the Supras where sitting in the back of the lot covered with snow and nobody cared, they still sold but when the weather got warmer, the Mitsubishi dealer had awd turbo esclipse for like 15k, they had several in the showroom that where brand new but 2 model years old, that was the peak of the SUV's

anyways, who knew the supra was gonna have such a following, the rumors say when it comes back it will probably be a Lexus, some say V10 powerplant, thats not gonna be cheap, don't they still make the current Supra in Japan still, I read they only stopped production in the US.

They should bring it back with a mild face lift, call it the Supra 99, make up for where they left off
Old 12-15-04, 03:39 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by EDGE2
a member on yotatech, had a 94 Supra and the original window sticker was 43,276 so maybe it held around their but I had people tell me by 98 the supra was a 50k car.

I remember working at Toyota as a tech and they sold 4Runners with 5-10k markups cause it was the 4x4 craze and everybody had to have 1 and the Supras where sitting in the back of the lot covered with snow and nobody cared, they still sold but when the weather got warmer, the Mitsubishi dealer had awd turbo esclipse for like 15k, they had several in the showroom that where brand new but 2 model years old, that was the peak of the SUV's

anyways, who knew the supra was gonna have such a following, the rumors say when it comes back it will probably be a Lexus, some say V10 powerplant, thats not gonna be cheap, don't they still make the current Supra in Japan still, I read they only stopped production in the US.

They should bring it back with a mild face lift, call it the Supra 99, make up for where they left off
They stopped selling the Supra in Japan in 2000

http://alljapanesecars.com/viewmd.ph...oyota&md=Supra
Old 12-15-04, 03:45 PM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

Originally posted by chuckb
im not exactly sure but i do remember that one year toyota dropped the price of the supra TT by 10k or so. i remember owners of the previous year models were not happy.
Old 12-15-04, 04:32 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Default yep

The only problem is there will never be another Supra. In Japan Toyota is even going to kick off the Lexus nameplate.

It has been confirmed by AutoWeek it will be a Lexus 100k and have a V10. The pics were released today on the MR2 board.:
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=75183

So I don't see the Supra prices going down dramatically anytime soon.

Last edited by toy4two; 12-15-04 at 04:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Resale value on TT Supra unreal