Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nürburgring aka "the Ring"

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-04, 12:11 PM
LexFather

Default Nürburgring aka "the Ring"

Old 12-15-04, 12:14 PM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm.........the famous Karussell.
I must make it a point to visit the track at least once.
Old 12-15-04, 12:16 PM
LexFather

I know a lot of people have heard about it and seen so many spy photos taken at this track(even Lexus). So here is some info on it.
The original Nürburgring consisted of two sections.. the Südschleife (South Loop, 4.8 miles) and the Nordschleife (North Loop, 14.2 miles). They could be run as one continuous track, or I think they had cutoffs where you could run one or the other. When the track was decommissioned from Grand Prix racing in the early 70's, they tore up the Südschleife and made an F1 track (usually called simply "Nürburgring") out of it. Some parts became part of the new track, some parts became access roads, and some parts were simply abandoned. The Nordschleife was left intact, and is still in operation today, for both public driving and the occasional race, as well as a test-bed for many car manufacturers to take their new designs for a spin.

A lot of info here
http://nurburgring.org.uk/index.html

In total, the Nürburgring incorporated 172 corners - 84 right-handers and 88 left - and between them those corners included every conceivable combination of radius, camber and gradient. For its entire length, the circuit was 6.7 metres wide apart from the start-finish apron which was 20 metres wide and thus created a natural funnel with which to start every race.

Almost every twist in the track was designed to test and challenge the best of the best and the true impact of the circuit can only be felt by riding it. Down gradients of one in nine and up one in six hills cars would wind their way along a tortuous road that encompassed no fewer than four villages, while high on the hill, overlooking the entire circuit lay the ruins of Schloss Nürburg, a twelfth-century fortress. In this, its original state, the 'Ring was not a race circuit; it was the setting for an automotive opera that could only have been written by Richard Wagner.

Old 12-15-04, 12:25 PM
LexFather

Driving Nurburgring track with Porsche RUF-CTR
http://www.lad.lv/~martini/porsche/V...rburgring1.wmv

http://www.lad.lv/~martini/porsche/V...rburgring2.wmv

http://www.lad.lv/~martini/porsche/V...urgringgt3.avi

http://www.lad.lv/~martini/porsche/V...-993-RS-HR.avi

Old 12-15-04, 12:30 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Totally exhilarating...wilds turns after turns. Beautiful scenary too! No wonder it's THE test bed for any serious car makers.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 12-15-04 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-15-04, 01:34 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Nice videos Thanx Mike !!
Old 12-15-04, 03:12 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great post Mike . O.K. we need to the driving event meet( just like the Dragon's) overthere for once. I think we can fly to Germany and rent the cars. I'm sure Richie will be there or we all can use Richie's GS..
Old 12-15-04, 06:51 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Thumbs up

My goodness Mike, great stuff there with the videos. A lap on that track looks like quite the workout. All those Porsche guys were working hard in the car, but from the outside they maid it look easy.

Is it just me or does anybody else find it strange that all the motorcycles in that video were passed? I’m guessing it’s easier to drive a car fast than it is to drive a bike fast.
Old 12-15-04, 08:16 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by VVT-i
Great post Mike . O.K. we need to the driving event meet( just like the Dragon's) overthere for once. I think we can fly to Germany and rent the cars. I'm sure Richie will be there or we all can use Richie's GS..
I'm down. Maybe plan a CL meet overseas in 2-4 years where a group of us go to the Ring and rent cars there . Or just take turns driving Richies car. He should have some sways by then

Old 12-15-04, 11:27 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

my dad's been there once as part of his deal for european delivery for one of his cars...he said that track should be the GOLD STANDARD...never had more fun, more hair raising time than on that track
Old 12-16-04, 05:34 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Overclocker
Is it just me or does anybody else find it strange that all the motorcycles in that video were passed? I’m guessing it’s easier to drive a car fast than it is to drive a bike fast.
Don't know if easy is the right word when you are on the edge in either one but bikes are a real handful at high speed. Not much aero help. Those contact patches need to be respected when you are at speed. And the ring is someplace you can get some serious honking speed. And not just for several seconds.
Old 12-16-04, 06:56 AM
juniorsdad
Lead Lap

great vids...
thanks..!
Old 12-16-04, 08:22 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm down. Maybe plan a CL meet overseas in 2-4 years where a group of us go to the Ring and rent cars there . Or just take turns driving Richies car. He should have some sways by then
I'm in!!!

We should track some BUSES!! That would be some Jackie Chan ish!
Old 12-16-04, 11:18 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to drive my SC on that track....looks like a lot of fun.....
Old 12-16-04, 01:18 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by VVT-i
Sounds like a plan to me, but using my car is not going to happen, I may have to sell it

Quick Reply: Nürburgring aka "the Ring"