Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Audi Australia Boss denounces Lexus.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-04, 09:39 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Re: Re: New Audi Australia Boss denounces Lexus.

Originally posted by TRD-bB
What a jackazz, the main reason I buy Lexus is because THEY ARE TOYOTA!!!

The only way Audi's sales can "go right past Lexus" is they rebadge a few Corollas and sale them as Audis........
Well said
Old 12-16-04, 09:44 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a jackazz, the main reason I buy Lexus is because THEY ARE TOYOTA!!!

The only way Audi's sales can "go right past Lexus" is they rebadge a few Corollas and sale them as Audis........

hahahhahaha

word!
Old 12-16-04, 09:45 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by purdrifter
the RX330 isnt even based offa Toyota (is it?) and besides, the only audis they have that are worth buying are rebadged VW's. NOTHING WRONG WITH HAVIN A 'YOTA!!
unfortunately it is, TOYOTA Harrier in japan but it's a one fine car.
Old 12-16-04, 10:05 AM
LexFather

Default Re: New Audi Australia Boss denounces Lexus.

Originally posted by MoFunk
Well it's not that bad but in a recent interview he commented on Lexus sales and remarked that they're merely 'Toyotas with a Lexus' badge, what an insightful and careful analysis Sounds like sour grapes to me, because Lexus has better sales figures than Audi in Australia.

Article Here

Audi chief drives hard sales push
Gordon Lomas
15dec04

AUDI is about to become a lot meaner in Australia.

Newly appointed Audi Australia managing director, Joerg Hofmann, is on a mission to double the company's national sales within five years.

Hofmann's brief in strategic markets elsewhere in the world has been as a "fixer", and he has the runs on the board.

A few hours after landing in Sydney from Germany, Hofmann was talking tough, unhappy about Audis sliding sales – 3224 year-to-date, compared with 4010 to the end of November last year.

"I'm not here to consolidate, I'm here to turn things around," Hofmann says.

Chief rivals BMW are sitting on 13,892 sales for the year-to-date, an increase of almost 2000 on 2003, while Mercedes-Benz have dropped to 16,138, compared with 17,545 last year.

Lexus is bubbling along with 4657, up almost 600 on 2003 figures.

Hofmann says that it is unacceptable for Audi to be No. 4 among the premium makers.

"Lexus relies completely on the RX330 and they are not a premium range as we know it," a tough-talking Hofmann said.

"They take a Toyota and put a Lexus badge on it and I believe it is cheating the customers."

Hofmann says that the silver bullet for Audi will be its ability to source the Q7 SUV, that debuted in recent seasons internationally as the Pikes Peak concept, early for Australian customers.

The Q7 is based on a longer platform of the Porsche Cayenne and VW Touareg and will be launched at the Frankfurt Motor Show next September.

Currently Australia is about nine months behind Europe with product launches, but under Hofmann's push it will join the UK and be within three months of being released on the continent.

"We need the Q7 and we will get it hopefully sometime in 2006-2007," Hofmann said.

Audi says that a B-segment coupe is also under development and once that joins the wagon the company will be ready to strike in volume sales and "go right past Lexus."

What a douche[
1st off guess who's getting an e-mail
Do you have questions or feedback about our website?
Email contactus.carsguide@news.com.au

Second that SOB has some nerve. AUDI is nothing but redbadged Volkswagons aka "peoples cars". Peoples cars that don't work. Cheap German cars. FWD German cars. Lets not forget if the A4 and A6 don't have AWD, they are as ghey as Acura with their FWD offerings. Yeah they have the A8 (never sold) and the TT has been very influencial for design but as slow as a turtle.

He has some audacity. Pierch himself hated Audi and the people that ran it. He saw no purpose for it. You want sport, you have BMW, you want lux, you get Benz, you want cheaper payments, you buy Audi. That is why Audi, so confused gives you the same sides but slaps a huge vacaum NOSEJOB on their cars.

Cheating customers. People ain't THAT stupid. Clearly they are SMART enough to avoid Audi, looking at sales.

And to make fun of the RX 330, they have their hopes on what? A SUV, the Q7. Lame. And 10 years to late. By then the new LX./JX will be out. Oh shiat Audi.

With carmakers going to AWD, the new RL, GS, M35, IS 250, 4matic Benz, the S-class will have it standard, Suburu, Audi's ONE main advantage will be gone.

Some carmakers need to get off their high-horses and admit "man we are ******* up".

Now don't get me wrong, Audis are nice. But does "nice" cut it in this ultra competative market. No.

Old 12-16-04, 10:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The only way Audi's sales can "go right past Lexus" is they rebadge a few Corollas and sale them as Audis........ [/B]
No...I know this line is good for a laugh, but in actuality it won't work. Chevy / Geo has already tried rebadging Corollas and selling them as Novas and Prizms, and they never had the sales appeal that the Corollas did.

Audi already does a good job on interiors and including an AWD option on just about all of their products. What they are going to have to do, though, if they want to compete with Lexus, is build MUCH better electronics. Poor electronics and electrical systems are the bane of just about every European make sold here in the U.S. market.
Old 12-16-04, 10:29 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Default bleh...

everything that needs to be said has already been said... so no need for me to blab on about the same thing...

never really liked audi...
Old 12-16-04, 10:31 AM
LexFather

Default Re: Re: Re: New Audi Australia Boss denounces Lexus.

Originally posted by mmarshall
No...I know this line is good for a laugh, but in actuality it won't work. Chevy / Geo has already tried rebadging Corollas and selling them as Novas and Prizms, and they never had the sales appeal that the Corollas did.

Audi already does a good job on interiors and including an AWD option on just about all of their products. What they are going to have to do, though, if they want to compete with Lexus, is build MUCH better electronics. Poor electronics and electrical systems are the bane of just about every European make sold here in the U.S. market.
Audi needs to worry about their homemarket Germans. They can't meet/beat BMW/Benz consistently. With BMW trying adventerious styling and Benz at a low with quality, you would think Audi would have CAPITALIZED on that.? Nope. They think they are already good enough and people are just stupid to not buy Audi.
Well, seems,Volvo, Infintii, Acura and Cadillac woke up some. Yes, Audi made tremendous strides, they ALMOST were out the US market, the last Gen A4 SAVED them here. But its almost like they are a niche car maker. And with that niche, AWD, no longer theirs exculsively, they are in some trouble. Like Jaguar and Lincoln.

Old 12-16-04, 11:31 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
[B]
...You want sport, you have BMW, you want lux, you get Benz, you want cheaper payments, you buy Audi. That is why Audi, so confused gives you the same sides but slaps a huge vacaum NOSEJOB on their cars.

[B]
So true When my friend was looking to buy a 330i, it was too expensive for him. So he ended up with an A4, cheaper
Old 12-16-04, 12:01 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up I love you

Lets not forget if the A4 and A6 don't have AWD, they are as ghey as Acura with their FWD offerings.

Mike ownz all!

Last edited by SecPole14; 12-16-04 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-16-04, 03:25 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Default Re: New Audi Australia Boss denounces Lexus.

Originally posted by MoFunk
Lexus relies completely on the RX330 and they are not a premium range as we know it," a tough-talking Hofmann said.
1) So how do they define the "premium range". Only German? Must be overpriced?

2) Audi keeps this guy around but fires the top manager who intelligently admitted that the Phaeton was a mistake.

3) Funny how even an Australian Audi thread turns into an Acura-basher for the Sick one and Boobaru boy.
Old 12-16-04, 03:32 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Red face Objectivity is over-rated

Originally posted by Iceman
3) Funny how even an Australian Audi thread turns into an Acura-basher for the Sick one and Boobaru boy.
Funny how you come to the rescue.

Last edited by SecPole14; 12-16-04 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-16-04, 04:03 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

I'm writing hate mail to Audi

He just doesn't understand Toyota or Lexus, as long as he maintains that attitude Audi will never compete with Lexus or any of the real German namepltes.

Doesn't respect Toyota, I think GM, Ford, and MB learned their lessons yrs ago.
Old 12-16-04, 06:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: New Audi Australia Boss denounces Lexus.

But its almost like they are a niche car maker. And with that niche, AWD, no longer theirs exculsively, they are in some trouble. .
Well, many of us here on the CL forum agree that Subaru makes the best AWD systems in the $30,000 and under class, but Audi generally doesn't sell in that range except for some bare-bones FWD A4's with the 1.8T. That could change, however, if the A3 debuts as planned next year.

Also keep in mind that the Quattro AWD system, like Subaru's, is a well-refined and tested system that, unlike other competing AWD systems from other European makers like Volvo's Haldex and Jaguar's X-Type, has been perfected over many years of production. The Quattro system is just about bulletproof.....Audi's unreliability stems mostly from poor electronic hardware, not the AWD.
Old 12-16-04, 06:32 PM
LexFather

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Audi Australia Boss denounces Lexus.

Originally posted by mmarshall
Well, many of us here on the CL forum agree that Subaru makes the best AWD systems in the $30,000 and under class, but Audi generally doesn't sell in that range except for some bare-bones FWD A4's with the 1.8T. That could change, however, if the A3 debuts as planned next year.

Also keep in mind that the Quattro AWD system, like Subaru's, is a well-refined and tested system that, unlike other competing AWD systems from other European makers like Volvo's Haldex and Jaguar's X-Type, has been perfected over many years of production. The Quattro system is just about bulletproof.....Audi's unreliability stems mostly from poor electronic hardware, not the AWD.
I agree Audi may have the most proven system. Didn't they get outlawed from racing b/c their systems were so good they never lost a race?
To the general public though, may not know the difference from once system to the next. Acura was clever adding SH to AWD

Old 12-16-04, 08:53 PM
Matters
Pole Position

The Lexus is a Toyota thing is a stigma that a lot of people used to attach to Lexus' in Australia. It's true that a lot of second-hand Toyota Soarer's imported from auction houses in Japan (with Lexus badges slapped on after the fact) have further diluted the brand some what. But I don't care, the more Soarers/SCs floating about the better.

So this Audi dude is probably attempting to be strategic in his comments given that Lexus and Audi are probably equal in their status in this country (with Mercedes and BMW way ahead). But history will teach him that it doesn't work, both BMW and Mercedes tried the same crap in the early '90s and it only served to give further publicity to the Lexus brand.

At any rate it's action not word words that talk. The only Audi I would contemplate buying is the A8, the new A6, A4 & A3 are undewhelming.

The ironic thing is that my secretary thought Lexus was owned by Volkswagen! I bet that would make that german dude choke on his sausage!

Quick Reply: New Audi Australia Boss denounces Lexus.