Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Audi Australia Boss denounces Lexus.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-04, 10:07 PM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: New Audi Australia Boss denounces Lexus.

Originally posted by mmarshall

Are not MANY Audis simply rebadged VW's?
yup look under the hood of any A4, Passat, Jetta, its all the damn same, the switch gear is all the same, the chassis's are the same

atleast a Lexus is reliable
Old 12-17-04, 01:49 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Audi insulting Lexus... omg.. bwahahahahahahahahahahaha

Is he jealous Lexus wins best quality and ranks number 1 every year? its becoming boring now, we should let the rest of the gang see how it feels to be in number one for a change, then take it away... just to tease them.

When Audi is half what Lexus is, then maybe I would take this guy seriously.
Old 12-17-04, 06:37 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Originally posted by RON430
Gee, you guys are tough. Cut the guy some slack. He's trying to increase sales of Audis that the Austrailian customer don't seem to want very much. And all he's got is his big fat mouth to do it. I actually look pretty favorably on Audis but if he obviously hasn't figured out that for adult enthusiasts and savvy consumers, being a Toyota is a very good thing, then maybe the only thing Audi can think of to increase sales is to give their managers a big open mouth like they just did to their cars.

I surprise most Eurosnobs when I tell them that one of the bigger reasons I own Lexus is exactly because they are Toyota built. As long as the Germans fail to recognize that it isn't a weakness for a Toyota part to wind up in a Lexus as much as it is unbelievable that Lexus level parts are in Toyotas they will keep selling cars where the biggest benefit is a badge. To the Germans, a cheap car is a cheap car. To Toyota, a less expensive car is just that. But each consumer deserves a quality piece regardless of price. Then again, maybe the Germans do understand this with their own twist. They can make cheaply built cars regardless of the selling price.
The fact that the Audi boss is trying to capitalize on this by saying Lexus vehicles are nothing more than re-badged Toyotas....... & at the same time considering that MANY Audi vehicles are indeed re-badged VW's (which he dosen't mention) is not only stupidity, insulting & extremely laughable.....it's most pathetic hypocrisy on VW's part I've heard out of the car business in over a decade!! So I guess VW's way of thinking, if you can beat em.......try & insult them in order to make ourselves feel better.

When exactly was the last time Lexus brass insulted Audi or any other car brand for that matter in the past 15 years since Lexus was born?

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 12-17-04 at 06:39 AM.
Old 12-17-04, 08:17 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I hate to give this jerk in Australia any more net time then we already have. It's obvious that he has nothing else from Audi to try and increase sales other than his big mouth. But in all honesty, if Audi got it's reliability up to Lexus (Toyota) standards, I would be seriously interested in their cars. Not willing to say I would buy them over anything else, but I would move them up from the second tier in my mind. More dealer support and, like a lot of luxury car dealers, less attitude from salesmen would help too. But get the doggoned cars as reliable as a Tercel, and I'm there. Otherwise they remain the second tier niche player for those who want to put up with their inferior owner experience to get AWD.
Old 12-17-04, 10:25 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It's never a good practice to disparage a competitor- it's an old trick to distract people from the real problems.
To me, it's like saying, "yes, we suck, but they suck more!" Cheesy, and not very becoming of a major auto manufacturer like Audi if you ask me... it speaks poorly of their character and ethics.

Perhaps Audi's new philosophy of putting a giant shnoz on all their cars will increase sales- perhaps it won't.
I won't be buying one EVER, especially after hearing comments like this Audi schmuck made.

I'd be interested to see what their 'sales' really are- due to Audi's less than sterling reputation for reliability, my guess is that a good percentage of Audi owners actually lease their cars. Why keep a problematic car if you can ditch it after 36 months? I'd be interested to see the sales figures for Audi versus Lexus in the "sales" and "leased" categories.

Let the naysayers call Lexuses "rebadged Toyotas:" after all, they'll be getting a good look at the Lexus badge from being behind one.
Old 12-17-04, 12:44 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: New Audi Australia Boss denounces Lexus.

Originally posted by TRD-bB
The only way Audi's sales can "go right past Lexus" is they rebadge a few Corollas and sale them as Audis........
Cadillac gave this a shot already .... the market didn't respond favorably.

CIMARRON!!!!!

M.
Old 12-17-04, 12:46 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually, the Cimmaron was a rebadged Cavalier, not a rebadged Corolla.
At least the Corolla isn't a POS!

Cavalier > Cimmaron: Garbage in = garbage out!
Old 12-17-04, 12:52 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Audi Australia Boss denounces Lexus.

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I agree Audi may have the most proven system. Didn't they get outlawed from racing b/c their systems were so good they never lost a race?
To the general public though, may not know the difference from once system to the next. Acura was clever adding SH to AWD
I'll never understand how individuals who are obviously intelligent enough to amass $50k for that piece of trash RL are also stupid enough to fall for Acura's boy-racer marketing.

M.
Old 12-17-04, 12:57 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SoCalSC4
Actually, the Cimmaron was a rebadged Cavalier, not a rebadged Corolla.
At least the Corolla isn't a POS!

Cavalier > Cimmaron: Garbage in = garbage out!
Oh really???

I know the origins of the Cimarron.

The point was: rebadging an established econobox will never work.

M.

Last edited by whipimpin; 12-17-04 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-17-04, 05:31 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

If this 'Aussie' Audi boss worked for Lexus, he'd be saying the same things about Audi Not a guy I'd want in my camp!
Old 12-17-04, 07:12 PM
LexFather

Default Re: Re: Re: New Audi Australia Boss denounces Lexus.

Originally posted by whipimpin
Cadillac gave this a shot already .... the market didn't respond favorably.

CIMARRON!!!!!

M.
OMG. This is hilarious. Great work finding that pic! New sig ?

I'll save this for another one of my debates but in short, the general public seems to totally accept in most cases a re-badged Japanese car to luxury status, like the TSX or IS 300 but WON'T buy Domestic owned rebadges, like the Ford Modeo made Jag X-type or the Opel badged Caddy Catera.

Old 12-20-04, 05:37 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
OMG. This is hilarious. Great work finding that pic! New sig ?
HA!

I wouldn't want to subject everyone on the forum to a dose of pure horror each time I post - I think I'll hold out for something else in my sig.

M.
Old 12-20-04, 07:11 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Hahahahahha stupid Audi CEO...

I remember in an Aussie car mag that they were comparing midsized luxo saloons (540i, GS300, Audi A6 and Saab 9-5... or whatever it's called) and GS300 ranked 2nd in enjoyment (behind BMW) but first in fit and finish (what's new? )... so where was Audi up in there? Could explain why their sales are so low compared to others... I think even Jaguar's starting to make a move on Audi in Australia lol

Oh, and the RX330 isn't the biggest selling here in Australia, it seems like the IS range is the most successful, so I don't know where he's getting his facts from lol
Old 12-22-04, 01:36 PM
Itsuki_23
Rookie

Funny that employee of Audi is saying those things. From a BMW or to a lesser extent Mercedes person would not loose so much face saying those things. BMW does not share its components with any lower price range brands, but after Mercedes and Chrysler merged during last few years Mercedes has been sharing lot of components with Chrysler.

First of all VAG - Volkswagen Audi Group is has 4 large brands under its hat + Porsche and Lamborghini. Those big 4 are Audi, Vokswagen, Seat and Skoda(budget oriented, origin is Eastern-European before VAG bought it up http://www.skoda-auto.com/ ). For example Audi A8 has rear cup holders that were initially used on smaller class cheap Skoda etc.

Last edited by Itsuki_23; 12-22-04 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-22-04, 02:40 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whipimpin
HA!

I wouldn't want to subject everyone on the forum to a dose of pure horror each time I post - I think I'll hold out for something else in my sig.

M.
C'mon dude! Stop hating!! It's "Quick-handling. Road-hugging. And fun to drive." Not to mention, it has "Cadillac refinements."

Quick Reply: New Audi Australia Boss denounces Lexus.