Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mazda MX-Crossport concept

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-04, 07:51 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Mazda MX-Crossport concept

December 16, 2004

Mazda's MX-Crossport concept designed for North American buyer

Irvine, California - Scheduled to be shown in public for the first time at the 2005 North American International Auto Show early next month in Detroit, the Mazda MX-Crossport design concept represents the direction Mazda is considering as it works to expand its line-up.

The MX-Crossport was designed at Mazda's main design studio in Hiroshima, Japan, and is a crossover-type vehicle - combining strong styling cues from the company's flagship RX-8 sports car with the more practical packaging of sport-utility vehicle.

"Mazda has momentum right now and one of our immediate challenges is to harness this momentum and create new products that will help us strengthen our results in the major markets around the world," stated Moray S. Callum, design director of Mazda Motor Corporation. "I challenged our design team to further evolve and expand our existing design DNA. The result of this challenge is the MX-Crossport, which was designed very much with the North American market in mind."

It is being presented in Detroit as a design study, not an engineering study

Source
Old 12-16-04, 08:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I'll reserve in-depth comment until I have actually looked at or driven it, but ( if it comes in AWD form ) right off the bat it looks like a good, less-expensive alternative to the Volvo XC-90, Audi All-Road, Porsche Cayenne, BMW X3-X5, and Mercedes ML-class. It may rob some sales, however, from its corporate brother, the Ford-derived Mazda Tribute.
Old 12-16-04, 08:23 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

So when the MDX and the RX-8 got together...

I guess it doesn't look too bad...
Old 12-16-04, 08:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Speaking of the RX-8, does this vehicle have the Genesis rotary like the RX-8 does or a standard 4 / V6?
The article doesn't say.
Old 12-16-04, 08:52 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mmarshall
Speaking of the RX-8, does this vehicle have the Genesis rotary like the RX-8 does or a standard 4 / V6?
The article doesn't say.
there is no way mazda will but the genesis in this car since genesis makes no torque.
Old 12-16-04, 08:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by DC52E55
there is no way mazda will but the genesis in this car since genesis makes no torque.
The Genesis rotary also burns both gas and oil like no tomorrow.
Old 12-16-04, 11:08 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This looks good and all for Mazda but...what's up with the suicide rear doors that won't open without the front doors open? It adds practicality to the RX-8 but has absolutely no point in an SUV/crossover.

Edit: Or perhaps this is just because whoever photoshopped the picture forgot to add a door handle in the rear.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 12-16-04 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-16-04, 11:16 AM
LexFather

Very nice. Looks very different. Mazda is doing BIG things right now. Kudos to them. Though, not sure if it will sell. X-overs are tough. People like their brawny SUVs.

Old 12-16-04, 02:05 PM
99GS300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mmarshall
The Genesis rotary also burns both gas and oil like no tomorrow.
The RENESIS (or any other rotary engine) would not be practical in an SUV application, due to low torque and high RPM requirements.

While all rotary engines inject a small amount of oil to lubricate the apex seals, I think the 18/24 mpg that the RX-8 advertises is pretty good..
Old 12-16-04, 03:38 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought Nissan Murano when I saw this thing...
Old 12-16-04, 05:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 99GS300
The RENESIS (or any other rotary engine) would not be practical in an SUV application, due to low torque and high RPM requirements.

While all rotary engines inject a small amount of oil to lubricate the apex seals, I think the 18/24 mpg that the RX-8 advertises is pretty good..
I only brought the issue up because every auto magazine I have read that has tested the car has commented on the high rotary gas and oil consumption. One RX-8 went through some 5 quarts of oil before the first formal oil change. And...especially with the typical auto-test-magazine lead-foots, 18 /24 MPG is not what they actually got. So it is clear that Mazda still has not perfected the rotary even after some 30-35 years off-and-on of production.

However...you are probably correct. Oil-burner or not, the rotary in general would not be the best engine for this type of vehicle. I only asked about the motor because the posted article was mum on it.
Old 12-16-04, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Very nice. Looks very different. Mazda is doing BIG things right now. Kudos to them. Though, not sure if it will sell. X-overs are tough. People like their brawny SUVs.
There is a HUGE......and growing........ market for crossovers. People like them because they combine the snow-capabilities of a truck-based SUV with the more docile ride, driving characteristics, and better gas mileage of a regular sedan. The Subaru Outback, in particular is a good example of a crossover that simply exploded in popularity almost overnight. Ditto for the RAV4, Honda CRV, and Ford Escape. Now everybody and their brother is getting into the act......Outlander, Endeavor, Murano, FX 35 /45, Equinox, VUE, MDX, XC-70 /90, All-Road, X3 /5, Pilot, Highlander, RX330, even traditionally off-roading Land Rover with the small, unibody Freelander. Mazda now just simply appears to be adding one more

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-16-04 at 05:58 PM.