Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Snow...In DFW???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-04, 01:22 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Snow...In DFW???

this was the scene this afternoon as i made my way around my local suburb (Park Glen for the locals, AKA Keller), doing some grocery shopping, last minute x-mas stuff, etc...

^MMMMM...2000 Contour SVT in Tropic Green/Tan Leather, one of 207 EVER made...yummy.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 12-22-04 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-22-04, 01:28 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, your lucky. It never snows down here in Houston. It gets in the 30s occasionally but no snow or sleet. How far are you from Plano?
Old 12-22-04, 01:34 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

clear on the other side fo the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex, zip code is 76137, look for westerncenter Blvd on the map, i live near the intersection of Western Center and North Beach st.
Old 12-22-04, 01:41 PM
Breakaway
Driver School Candidate

yea i woke up to that snow too, im in arlington its snowing pretty good rite now
Old 12-22-04, 01:44 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

You guys need to stop showing off!! I checked the Houston weather and it says its going to snow here Friday morning but I doubt it. I'm still crossing my fingers though.
Old 12-22-04, 02:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

damn.... that's something

it snowed in LA area early this yr or late last yr i forgot, it was weird too
Old 12-22-04, 03:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Snow and ice are uncommon but not rare in the DFW area. When a so-called Texas "Blue Norther"...a strong, rapidly-moving cold front.....moves south with cold, dry Canadian air and collides with moisture from the Gulf of Mexico, snow showers, ice storms and even widespread organized winter storms from low-pressure systems can develop over the state. Severe thunderstorms and tornadoes can form in the warm air on the surface boundary between these two contrasting air masses. If you think DFW is bad, try spending a winter in the Northwest Texas Panhandle out on the High Plains...up around Amarillo and Lubbock. Blue Northers there can bring below-zero temperatures, high winds, and blizzard conditions.
Old 12-22-04, 03:43 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Snow and ice are uncommon but not rare in the DFW area. When a so-called Texas "Blue Norther"...a strong, rapidly-moving cold front.....moves south with cold, dry Canadian air and collides with moisture from the Gulf of Mexico, snow showers, ice storms and even widespread organized winter storms from low-pressure systems can develop over the state. Severe thunderstorms and tornadoes can form in the warm air on the surface boundary between these two contrasting air masses. If you think DFW is bad, try spending a winter in the Northwest Texas Panhandle out on the High Plains...up around Amarillo and Lubbock. Blue Northers there can bring below-zero temperatures, high winds, and blizzard conditions.
Good lord man, is there anything you don't know!?

Anywho, yes I think we're slated for snow coming up this weekend, possibly the 26th.

James

Last edited by jet864; 12-22-04 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-22-04, 03:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
damn.... that's something

it snowed in LA area early this yr or late last yr i forgot, it was weird too
You're right, Henry..............snow in the L.A. basin IS unusual...even rare. It happens only when cold, dry Canadian Continental Polar air masses are blocked by a strong and abnormal jet stream from their usual south and southeastward path, east of the Rockies, across the central and eastern parts of the country and are instead diverted southwestward across the Rockies, Cascades, and Sierra Nevadas into California, interacting with Pacific moisture. It is pretty unusual....something you do NOT see very often. When that happens, we are usually very warm here in the East...much above normal.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-22-04 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-22-04, 03:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jet864
Good lord man, is there anything you don't know!?

Anywho, yes I think we're slated for snow coming up this weekend, possibly the 26th.

James
I lived in Texas (Austin) for a while as a teenager, Jim. I saw the weather there first-hand.

And...don't forget.....you guys can put me to shame with computer skills.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-22-04 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-22-04, 04:35 PM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

i don know if i told you at the meet im a part time courier. i putt on 250 miles in the dfw today. days like this suck. im from minnesota but texas driver cant drive for s in the snow.
Old 12-22-04, 07:44 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by TRULUX
i don know if i told you at the meet im a part time courier. i putt on 250 miles in the dfw today. days like this suck. im from minnesota but texas driver cant drive for s in the snow.
no, you didnt say, but thats ok LOL, i didnt ask.

thats cool, but your GS has how many miles (tell me its NOT your work car PLEASE!!!)

i drive by all thee people and laugh at them cause they are doing 20 in a 55...and the roads arent even slick!!! the very first time i ever drove a car there was 2 feet of snow in the road and 4 inches of ice under that!! these poeple are bogus.

i called my dad from work before i came home early today and the following conversation ensued...

me: "hey dad, work is cancelled"

him: "you knuclehead! all of the DFW Metroplex is cancelled!!!

me: "LOL, thats funny, see ya in a few!" (i work like 5 minutes frm home LOL)
Old 12-22-04, 08:44 PM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
no, you didnt say, but thats ok LOL, i didnt ask.

thats cool, but your GS has how many miles (tell me its NOT your work car PLEASE!!!)

i drive by all thee people and laugh at them cause they are doing 20 in a 55...and the roads arent even slick!!! the very first time i ever drove a car there was 2 feet of snow in the road and 4 inches of ice under that!! these poeple are bogus.

i called my dad from work before i came home early today and the following conversation ensued...

me: "hey dad, work is cancelled"

him: "you knuclehead! all of the DFW Metroplex is cancelled!!!

me: "LOL, thats funny, see ya in a few!" (i work like 5 minutes frm home LOL)
no its not my bro owns the company. so i drive a work car. my lex has just over 80,000.yeah i learned to drive in winter.

Last edited by TRULUX; 12-22-04 at 08:45 PM.