Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is the regular 604 HP Mercedes Benz CL65 AMG not powerful enough for you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-04, 11:41 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
I think I'm done with this becuase I feel my political panties getting twisted into a knot.

You have interesting taste in undergarments.
Old 12-23-04, 11:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Erick G
the best is when you order one and its a lemon!
read some horror stories over at mbworld

Erick G
Yes...and WHY are they lemons? (See my earlier posts)....because M-B is spending too much on fire-breathing engines and star-wars electronics and not enough on quality control.
Unfortunately, BMW, after a series of Chris Bangle stying and ergonomic mistakes, is now starting to add THIS mistake one as well....too much money on engines/elecronics and not enough on quality control.

Let's just hope Lexus is not next.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-23-04 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-23-04, 11:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Maybe the moderators should move this thread over to the DEBATE section...it has really opened up a can of worms.
Old 12-23-04, 01:54 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

holy smoke! i would love to drive one of those one day! one day...... I WILL!
Old 12-23-04, 02:03 PM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree.. focus should be on reliability.. who really needs that kind of HP
Time will tell.. and lexus will keep winning top awards year after year

Erick G

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes...and WHY are they lemons? (See my earlier posts)....because M-B is spending too much on fire-breathing engines and star-wars electronics and not enough on quality control.
Unfortunately, BMW, after a series of Chris Bangle stying and ergonomic mistakes, is now starting to add THIS mistake one as well....too much money on engines/elecronics and not enough on quality control.

Let's just hope Lexus is not next.
Old 12-23-04, 02:06 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

I think there is a misconception that HP and reliabillity are mutually exclusive. I dont think this has to be the case. MB was having quaility problems before this car ever came out. Theres no reason that a car company cant make a high hp car that is reliable.
Old 12-23-04, 02:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

dunno man... guess my bottom is line arguing over what hp is the "upper limit" and what's "too much" is kinda silly, coz' i think that's all subjective.... honestly for most city daily use, even a toyota corolla is very capable already, my coworker has one, drove one and sat in one a lot, and it's a very decent car. in that aspect, owning my gs4 and sc430 with 300 hp each is completely retarded.

and however, there are still times where i think the power in my gs4 is not enough, even with the mods i put on. i just wish i could have a bit more to just pass that extra damn car in the front. ding ding ding, i thought about the e55...

so if someone comes up with more hp? good for them, period. it's "too much" power for any "practical" use on the "road"? imho, you gotta define it in complete what those quotes mean (something that everyone agrees)
Old 12-23-04, 04:56 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Old 12-23-04, 06:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Originally Posted by wantAnewLex

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD...
True but that doesn't mean we all have to be completely sensible all the time does it?

Just because I CAN buy an SUV doesn't mean I should? What if I *like* SUVs? Regardless of whether I need one.

Or what if I CAN and LIKE AWD Subarus regardless of whether I need one? Should I get one or be able to? I think so, yes!

We can all live with some shared values, but I don't want to live in a world where we all have to be 'sensible' (by someone's definition) all the time. Someone may define sensible as each person not having more than 400 sq. feet of living space. Would you like that? Just because someone can buy a 10,000 sq. foot home doesn't mean they should, but if they want to, why not?

Someone can always come up with arguments as to why one person's actions affects another and extrapolate as to why those actions should therefore be banned for all. E.g., drive a car? You're contributing to global warming some say, and are therefore evil.

I say we should allow people to be stupid, irresponsible, wasteful, unless they're DIRECTLY harming someone by those actions.
Old 12-23-04, 06:39 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Arrow

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
True but that doesn't mean we all have to be completely sensible all the time does it?

Just because I CAN buy an SUV doesn't mean I should? What if I *like* SUVs? Regardless of whether I need one.

Or what if I CAN and LIKE AWD Subarus regardless of whether I need one? Should I get one or be able to? I think so, yes!

We can all live with some shared values, but I don't want to live in a world where we all have to be 'sensible' (by someone's definition) all the time. Someone may define sensible as each person not having more than 400 sq. feet of living space. Would you like that? Just because someone can buy a 10,000 sq. foot home doesn't mean they should, but if they want to, why not?

Someone can always come up with arguments as to why one person's actions affects another and extrapolate as to why those actions should therefore be banned for all. E.g., drive a car? You're contributing to global warming some say, and are therefore evil.

I say we should allow people to be stupid, irresponsible, wasteful, unless they're DIRECTLY harming someone by those actions.
Point taken.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be able to do what they want, I just find 700HP in a street car a little silly.

My Subaru is leaking coolant so I'm not liking mine very much right now.
Old 12-23-04, 08:31 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

quote "bringing the cars total HP to a whopping 731 HP!!! "

NICE!! Even though I'd be happy with HALF that!

I say, if you can afford it and the car is still streetable, why not? Better have some driving skills and a tire connection those babys will be roasted in no time
Old 12-23-04, 08:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wantAnewLex
I'm not saying people shouldn't be able to do what they want, I just find 700HP in a street car a little silly.
THERE I agree. Especially in a town like Atlanta where my average speed is about 20.

My Subaru is leaking coolant so I'm not liking mine very much right now.
Now that's a bummer. Probably not serious though, is it? Just a hose or a radiator leak? I think I've told you before, but I do have a fondness for Subarus... wife had a Legacy for years - terrific vehicle and a hoot in snow.
Old 12-23-04, 09:42 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Now should this car come into posession of a 16 YO....then I'm scared. Otherwise the drivers are most likely going to be 50+ CEO's and their wives behind the wheel. Most of them aren't anxious to "see what it will do".
Old 12-24-04, 05:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RA40
Now should this car come into posession of a 16 YO....then I'm scared. Otherwise the drivers are most likely going to be 50+ CEO's and their wives behind the wheel. Most of them aren't anxious to "see what it will do".
*IF* it gets in the hands of a 16 YO *AND* something bad happened to someone else because of it, the PARENTS AND THE KID should be locked away.
Old 12-24-04, 05:49 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 301 Likes on 181 Posts

So after all this debate and arguing about "subjective" things like safety, drivers skills etc., let's do a poll to distill out all the political and personal philosophies.

If you had the $$ to buy this car, would you buy one? Be honest and just reply "Yes" or "No".

I will go first. If I had the money I would definitely consider it. But would rather get a NA Porsche Carerra GT. So yes, I like this kind of crazy HP.

Quick Reply: Is the regular 604 HP Mercedes Benz CL65 AMG not powerful enough for you?