Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is the regular 604 HP Mercedes Benz CL65 AMG not powerful enough for you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-04, 09:33 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by AgGS400
It was meant to be funny.

I still think anyone who is truly into cars should appreciate any kind of advances...not bash them. Actually, I appreciate advances of all kinds. What about medical technology. There are new items tested...some are ridiulous and cost prohibitive...but they may inspire or give rise to something useful in the future.

Go MB.

R
It just struck me as a little strange, especially the comment about ignoring him because he's in the minority.

But I agree with you, I have nothing against high-HP and the new technology that makes it possible. I'm looking forward to the future myself.

I'm actually waiting for chassis technology to catch up with the engines, I think that's the next big step. It's no good to have 700HP if something with half the power can beat it around a course due to having a better chassis. I'm not trying to bash the idea at all, I just keep repeating that I think having 700HP is silly, considering it doesn't have a chassis to harness it.

I would still say that something like a 911 is a better car in almost every single way when compared to these high-HP Benz machines.
Old 12-25-04, 09:42 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by wantAnewLex
This isn't exactly a valid point. Acura built some truly great cars years ago too. Unfortunately, the Legend GS and NSX aren't doing much for them now, are they? Mercedes present track record speaks for itself.

I think you're a little confused. No one said a word about a 700HP car not being a good daily driver. No one is going to argue that there are not plenty of high-HP cars out there that also perform admirably as a daily vehicle.

The point is that no one NEEDS 700HP. I don't see how a V8 GS driver could NEED more power for passing or merging unless they're on the autostrada duking it out with Italian exotics on a regular basis. If somes NEEDS more than 300HP they're either:

A.) A maniac.
B.) A truly horrid driver.

There's nothing wrong with wanting more HP and having more HP, provided you can handle it safely and responsibly and don't do it "just because" (that argument seems a little silly to me).
confused i am not just my perspective on it so please respect that position as i respect yours.... my point on the e 500 was aimed at showing how mb once was able to deliver both high perf (at that time those nums were considered high perf nums) and extreme reliability as compared to their model lines now with even more numbers but less then desirable reliability.. i dont know how you equate this to acuras.. in fact these same e class supercars are still comanding high resale if kept pristine and original due to these same points ..

as far as anyone needing 700 hrspwr , its up to the individ for truthfully do we need more then 100 to get from point a to b , no however some aspire to do it quicker then others and some aspire to do it effortlessly (see my point or anagoly if you would about the stereos)

as far as calling someone a crazy or horrid , for wanting more power on demand , you got me stumped on that point of view but hey if thats your take i respect that point of view but i also will respect it as i blow by you waving with my 400-500 hrpwer beast enjoying myself for thats the bottom line

WHAT EVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT

Last edited by lexforlife; 12-25-04 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-25-04, 09:53 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never thought I'd see people on this site be mad at a car for having to much HP. What a joke. Sounds like jealousy to me. It's easy to bash a car you know you can't afford.

If someone wants to give me 700hp, I say thank you very much and Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-04, 10:14 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lexforlife
confused i am not just my perspective on it so please respect that position as i respect yours.... my point on the e 500 was aimed at showing how mb once was able to deliver both high perf (at that time those nums were considered high perf nums) and extreme reliability as compared to their model lines now with even more numbers but less then desirable reliability.. i dont know how you equate this to acuras.. in fact these same e class supercars are still comanding high resale if kept pristine and original due to these same points ..

as far as anyone needing 700 hrspwr , its up to the individ for truthfully do we need more then 100 to get from point a to b , no however some aspire to do it quicker then others and some aspire to do it effortlessly (see my point or anagoly if you would about the stereos)

as far as calling someone a crazy or horrid , for wanting more power on demand , you got me stumped on that point of view but hey if thats your take i respect that point of view but i also will respect it as i blow by you waving with my 400-500 hrpwer beast enjoying myself for thats the bottom line

WHAT EVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT
Well, you seemed confused as you went off on a tangent about high HP and daily driving, and no one really gave any attention to that aspect of the issue up until that point. I ignored your analogy about the stereo because it made little sense to me, just like the claim about needing 700HP to reach a desitnation "quicker" and "effortlessly." I doubt you'll be blowing by me in anything anytime soon, but if/when you do, I would hope that you would have both hands on the wheel.

Originally Posted by chuckb
I never thought I'd see people on this site be mad at a car for having to much HP. What a joke. Sounds like jealousy to me. It's easy to bash a car you know you can't afford.

If someone wants to give me 700hp, I say thank you very much and Merry Christmas
There's a difference between bashing and thoughful criticism.

Examples:
Bashing: "This car sucks." (No additional explanation, leave discussion after that point).
Thoughtful criticism: Pretty much what most people have been doing throughout the thread.

I'm not a mindless ape who sees a 700HP sled and automatically says, "Dadada, cooool..." And I'm not jealous. My present car has potential that I have not tapped yet.

I guess, at its root, this discussion is about greed and simply wanting more, more, more instead of asking why, why, why.

Last edited by SecPole14; 12-25-04 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-25-04, 10:26 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, you seemed confused as you went off on a tangent about high HP and daily driving, and no one really gave any attention to that aspect of the issue up until that point. I ignored your analogy about the stereo because it made little sense to me, just like the claim about needing 700HP to reach a desitnation "quicker" and "effortlessly." I doubt you'll be blowing by me in anything anytime soon, but if/when you do, I would hope that you would have both hands on the wheel.

There's a difference between bashing and thoughful criticism.

Examples:
Bashing: "This car sucks." (No additional explanation, leave discussion after that point).
Thoughtful criticism: Pretty much what most people have been doing throughout the thread.

I'm not a mindless ape who sees a 700HP sled and automatically says, "Dadada, cooool..." And I'm not jealous. My present car has potential that I have not tapped yet.

I guess, at its root, this discussion is about greed and simply wanting more, more, more instead of asking why, why, why.

i guess you did not get what you wanted for christmas or if did just try and be alittle more polite and open to others points of view

i mean afterall its christmas my brotha .. i hope you have a merry and safe one
Old 12-25-04, 10:35 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Smile

Originally Posted by lexforlife
i guess you did not get what you wanted for christmas or if did just try and be alittle more polite and open to others points of view

i mean afterall its christmas my brotha .. i hope you have a merry and safe one
Ha ha, I didn't ask for anything and I didn't buy anyone anything, either. Not to mention, I already used that line today.

I have nothing against you, and I hope you know that. I just like a little bit of hardcore debate every now-and-then, even on Christmas.

Hope the rest of yours is merry and safe as well.

Last edited by SecPole14; 12-25-04 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-25-04, 10:40 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 301 Likes on 181 Posts

Take it easy bro! I don't think anyone of us here is a "mindless ape" just because we like a 700 HP car. Have a merry Christmas and relax a little!
Old 12-25-04, 10:51 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hameed
Take it easy bro! I don't think anyone of us here is a "mindless ape" just because we like a 700 HP car. Have a merry Christmas and relax a little!
I know, but it seems so many people just go nuts over HP no matter what.

Anyway, what's much more important is that I love you guys.

Last edited by SecPole14; 12-25-04 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-27-04, 01:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
So after all this debate and arguing about "subjective" things like safety, drivers skills etc., let's do a poll to distill out all the political and personal philosophies.

If you had the $$ to buy this car, would you buy one? Be honest and just reply "Yes" or "No".

I will go first. If I had the money I would definitely consider it. But would rather get a NA Porsche Carerra GT. So yes, I like this kind of crazy HP.
well, in short, with the money (or even more), i wouldn't. i might consider the normal amg 65 series, but that's it. with more money i would rather get the f430
Old 12-27-04, 01:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

I know, but it seems so many people just go nuts over HP no matter what.

Anyway, what's much more important is that I love you guys.
hahaha well, just like when you are on the supra board, you see people saying "dyno 644hp today" thing isn't it

and of course we all love you
Old 12-27-04, 10:29 AM
LexFather

Well on AMERICAN roads, 600hp is useless. Period. 750lbs of torque is useless. Period. PERIOD. The speed limit is 55 maybe 70 mph at its highest. It was FRUSTRATING driving 300hp GS knowing most of the time, you can't really use the power or cruise at 100mph like the car could do all do.
TWICE as much power? OMG, it would be very frustrating to drive unless you were on the Autobahn or tracked it. CLEARLY, its for bragging rights and to try to overpower Ferrari/Lamborghini etc....

Its cool. It is simply amazing to have that much power. But the S55/CL 55 was more than sufficient. As a V-12 car. A V-12 Twin Turbo? This is the same silly thinking behind the CHASING A NUMBER 1,000 hp (rumored to get 1,100 hp now since its taken 10 years to build the thing) Bugatti Verynon. A V-16 with quad turbos. WHERE THE HELL R U GOING TO DRIVE THAT???

If I was wealthy, would I buy it. Yes. Why? Basically to say I have 600hp and 750lbs of torque. Maybe get lucky and have street race or two.

I LOVE my Supras but those that are HONEST know, many are DYNO QUEENS. They make all this power on a dyno, totally uselss on the track or street.

I was reading about American man who owns 2 Paganis. He keeps them in Europe, b/c he says he could not enjoy them here. So he flies there to drive his cars.

Old 12-27-04, 10:29 AM
LexFather

And fellas please, lets have a nice debate and not attack one another.

Old 12-27-04, 11:28 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well on AMERICAN roads, 600hp is useless. Period. 750lbs of torque is useless. Period. PERIOD. The speed limit is 55 maybe 70 mph at its highest. It was FRUSTRATING driving 300hp GS knowing most of the time, you can't really use the power or cruise at 100mph like the car could do all do.
TWICE as much power? OMG, it would be very frustrating to drive unless you were on the Autobahn or tracked it. CLEARLY, its for bragging rights and to try to overpower Ferrari/Lamborghini etc....

Its cool. It is simply amazing to have that much power. But the S55/CL 55 was more than sufficient. As a V-12 car. A V-12 Twin Turbo? This is the same silly thinking behind the CHASING A NUMBER 1,000 hp (rumored to get 1,100 hp now since its taken 10 years to build the thing) Bugatti Verynon. A V-16 with quad turbos. WHERE THE HELL R U GOING TO DRIVE THAT???

If I was wealthy, would I buy it. Yes. Why? Basically to say I have 600hp and 750lbs of torque. Maybe get lucky and have street race or two.

I LOVE my Supras but those that are HONEST know, many are DYNO QUEENS. They make all this power on a dyno, totally uselss on the track or street.

I was reading about American man who owns 2 Paganis. He keeps them in Europe, b/c he says he could not enjoy them here. So he flies there to drive his cars.

Mike your breakin my heart Next thing you know someone will be saying that 300hp is too much. My point is whoose to say what is too much and dont give me that junk about drive 55 to stay alive. Heck we both live in Atlanta the only time anyone drives the speed limit is pulling out of their driveway.
Old 12-27-04, 11:30 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 301 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Despite the fact that a 700 HP car is completely useless on American roads, I still want a 604 HP Carrera GT!!