Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is the regular 604 HP Mercedes Benz CL65 AMG not powerful enough for you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-04, 04:43 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 301 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Is the regular 604 HP Mercedes Benz CL65 AMG not powerful enough for you?

Is the "regular" 604 HP Mercedes Benz CL65 AMG NOT powerful enough for you?

Standard specs on the CL65 AMG:

Engine: AMG-built twin-turbocharged 6.0L SOHC 36-valve V-12
Net Power: 604 hp @ 5,500 rpm
Net Torque: 738 lb-ft @ 2,000 - 4,000 rpm

Well if that is not enough power for you, Kleeman has come to your rescue with an ECU upgrade that adds an additional 127 HP bringing the cars total HP to a whopping 731 HP!!!

Article:
KLEEMANN CL 65

Powerful ECU upgrade for the new CL 65 AMG

The KLEEMANN CL 65 is a superlative all-out powerful sports coupe based on the new Mercedes-Benz CL 65 AMG. The stock twelve-cylinder bi-turbo engine is fitted with a KLEEMANN ECU upgrade that ads 127 Hp and a powerful 300 Nm to the cars already incredible performance figures.

The KLEEMANN ECU upgrade, also available for the Mercedes-Benz S 65 AMG and SL 65 AMG, features a custom-programmed engine ECU control unit with altered engine electronics to ensure precise interaction of all engine components.

The tuning impact on the engines performance is phenomenal. Not only does it increase maximum power output and peak torque significantly, the midrange gains are truly exceptional. A 30 percent increase in engine torque is available from 2200 rpm to 5100 rpm. The engine boasts 300 Nm more torque at 4.000 rpm compared to a standard Mercedes-Benz CL 65 AMG.

Power is transferred to the rear wheels through a five-speed automatic transmission and to minimize wheel spin KLEEMANN has fitted the car with a locking differential. The KLEEMANN Limited Slip Differential (LSD) applies a 60 percent lock-up ratio between the rear wheels, meaning one wheel has 60 percent of the drive power, the other 40 percent.
At no time will only one wheel receive all the engines power thus reducing wheel spin and lowering accelerations times.

KLEEMANN also refines the Mercedes-Benz CL 65 AMG with tasteful aerodynamic-enhancement parts that are designed with the highest level of perfection for form and function. The appearance is sporty yet elegant and besides making the coupe look even more intriguing the aerodynamic package offers a performance advantage as well. At high speeds the front spoiler, with the built-in air ducts for brake cooling, reduces lift on the front axle thus further improving directional stability. The rear apron with the integrated diffuser panel rounds out the KLEEMANN aerodynamic package.

Another important customizing feature on the CL is the two-piece TM5 or the three-piece forged TS6 KLEEMANN light alloy wheels, which can be mounted on the coupe in 19- and 20-inch diameters. The largest possible combination on the CL is the KLEEMANN TS6 alloy wheel in size 9JX20 for the front axle with 245/35 ZR 20 tires, and 10JX20 with 285/30 ZR 20 tires on the rear.

To further increase the handling characteristics of the car KLEEMANN has developed an electronic body lowering module (EBL) for the ABC suspension, which lowers the ride height by up to 35 millimetres. In addition to adding a stunning look to the coupe the lowered ride height improves cornering agility.

Safety aspects are managed by the KLEEMANN high performance brake system, which easily handles even the most extreme braking tasks. The KLEEMANN brake system features 396 x 36 mm vented and cross-drilled discs with six piston calipers in the front, and 342 x 28 mm vented and cross-drilled discs with four piston calipers in the rear.

Upon customer request KLEEMANN refines the interior of the CL with customized leather and alcantara. Furthermore KLEEMANN offers exclusive accessories for the luxury coupe. The product line-up includes such attractive accessories as illuminated entrance panels with KLEEMANN logo, and an ergonomic KLEEMANN sport steering wheel with a choice of leather, leather/wood or leather/carbon. The finishing touch to the interior is genuine carbon inlays on the dashboard, centre-console and door covers which creates a sporty yet comfortable and exclusive feeling.

Link to article

Last edited by Hameed; 12-23-04 at 04:44 AM.
Old 12-23-04, 06:08 AM
MoFunk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That much horse power is just silly...how much will that ACTUALLY goto the wheels before it spins out of control?
Old 12-23-04, 06:15 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by MoFunk
That much horse power is just silly...how much will that ACTUALLY goto the wheels before it spins out of control?
It's mainly bragging rights. I don't see the point of so much horsepower either. It is mainly a topic for conversation, not much functional use.
Old 12-23-04, 06:25 AM
Milla...

I'd be to scared to drive it.
Old 12-23-04, 06:29 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

It was only a matter of time before this happened. with turbos, the tuning is increased 10 fold than it was with supercharger. I expect those number to go up more... WAY up.
Old 12-23-04, 06:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MoFunk
That much horse power is just silly...
This nonsense, on a street car, goes beyond silly. It is absurd and irresponsible on Mercedes' part.....especially when Mercedes and AMG could be spending the money on badly needed quality control instead of just more and more HP and torque.

I know a lot of you guys like power and speed, and some of you will drool over a car like this. And.....though I'm not speed-crazy, I don't mind a little of it myself. But ........if this kind of power-to-weight ratio keeps up, I honestly think you're going to start seeing Federal horsepower and torque limits on new cars that would be certified by actual dyno testing instead of just manufacturer ratings.. More likely, though....the price of gas will do it at the pump, not to mention insurance.

I'm not alone in my opinion, either. Car and Driver, Road and Track, Automobile, and other classic enthusiast magazines have all more or less agreed now that we are pretty much at the limit of what can be realistically put into a street car, and any more is just overkill.....especially with the increasing congestion everywhere that effectively prevents the use of it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-23-04 at 06:39 AM.
Old 12-23-04, 07:31 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arggggggggg!!!!!!!!!

All of you guys sound like someones wife you should all have your Club Lexuis cards immediately revoked. What do you mean too much, enough is never enough I say. Plus you have to remember that this car is not only sold in the US if at all. I'm sure something like this would go over real big in Euroupe where super cars routinely prowl the highways. Not to mention other countires that have people with money and highways to support it. I'm thinking the middle east maybe.
Old 12-23-04, 07:52 AM
Milla...

I live in LA. Major power? for what. To be the first one to get to the next red light, the first one to hit traffic just to get off to fill it back up with gas and get back into traffic. Yes I'll pass.
Old 12-23-04, 07:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
Arggggggggg!!!!!!!!!

All of you guys sound like someones wife you should all have your Club Lexuis cards immediately revoked. What do you mean too much, enough is never enough I say. Plus you have to remember that this car is not only sold in the US if at all. I'm sure something like this would go over real big in Euroupe where super cars routinely prowl the highways. Not to mention other countires that have people with money and highways to support it. I'm thinking the middle east maybe.
First of all, ace, I'm nobody's wife.....or husband. Second, my CL card stays right where it is, thank you. You, for one, are certainly not going to take it away......or anybody else's.....guaranteed. Third, even in Europe, there are fewer and fewer places to use this kind of power. The Autobahns are putting limits on more and more of their sections. Congestion alone is limiting top speeds. Even without speed limits, some roads can only hold so many cars....when you exceed that you HAVE to slow down...there is simply no room to speed.
And...if you read my post, I said that you will probably end up seeing power limits HERE...not necessarily in Europe....although even there it is not out of the question.

Fourth, our opinions here are not alone. Read some of what recent articles in auto enthusiast magazines have to say ( these are guys who evaluate and drive fast cars for a living) and you will find even they are admitting that we're just getting into overkill.
Old 12-23-04, 08:10 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down Ridiculous

I can goddamn-well bet you that a standard 6-speed 911 will beat it on a handling loop.
Old 12-23-04, 08:29 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
First of all, ace, I'm nobody's wife.....or husband. Second, my CL card stays right where it is, thank you. You, for one, are certainly not going to take it away......or anybody else's.....guaranteed. Third, even in Europe, there are fewer and fewer places to use this kind of power. The Autobahns are putting limits on more and more of their sections. Congestion alone is limiting top speeds. Even without speed limits, some roads can only hold so many cars....when you exceed that you HAVE to slow down...there is simply no room to speed.
And...if you read my post, I said that you will probably end up seeing power limits HERE...not necessarily in Europe....although even there it is not out of the question.

Fourth, our opinions here are not alone. Read some of what recent articles in auto enthusiast magazines have to say ( these are guys who evaluate and drive fast cars for a living) and you will find even they are admitting that we're just getting into overkill.
The other side to this is that it not always about how useful such HP numbers are. Granted it is dangerous. No question about that. But then even a 100 HP car is dangerous in some drivers hands.

I for one think that there are three things we can never get enough of - HP, sex and money!

Not trying to shoot down anything you are saying Mmarshall, but I don't think it is such a big deal. After all how many people can afford one of these cars? Very few people.

Last edited by Hameed; 12-23-04 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-23-04, 08:37 AM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This nonsense, on a street car, goes beyond silly. It is absurd and irresponsible on Mercedes' part.....especially when Mercedes and AMG could be spending the money on badly needed quality control instead of just more and more HP and torque.

I know a lot of you guys like power and speed, and some of you will drool over a car like this. And.....though I'm not speed-crazy, I don't mind a little of it myself. But ........if this kind of power-to-weight ratio keeps up, I honestly think you're going to start seeing Federal horsepower and torque limits on new cars that would be certified by actual dyno testing instead of just manufacturer ratings.. More likely, though....the price of gas will do it at the pump, not to mention insurance.

I'm not alone in my opinion, either. Car and Driver, Road and Track, Automobile, and other classic enthusiast magazines have all more or less agreed now that we are pretty much at the limit of what can be realistically put into a street car, and any more is just overkill.....especially with the increasing congestion everywhere that effectively prevents the use of it.
If you actually had endless amounts of money to spend...like the people who would buy this car, I don't think you'd be complaining that it has too much horsepower. I will most likely never have one but I think it is great. Impractical, danerous, and great. COME ON!! V-12 twin turbo and then tricked out on top. That is just over-the-top in-your-face mine-is-better-than-yours greatness. And if it makes me feel like a little kid again...

R
Old 12-23-04, 08:40 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by Hameed
The other side to this is that it not always about how useful such HP numbers are. Granted it is dangerous. No question about that. But then even a 100 HP car is dangerous in some drivers hands.

I for one think that there are three things we can never get enough of - HP, sex and money!

Not trying to shoot down anything you are saying Mmarshall, but I don't think it is such a big deal. After all how many people can afford one of these cars? Very few people.
Too much of anything is bad for your health. I mean you have to set some limits unless a person is out right greedy.
Old 12-23-04, 08:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

this is bound to happen anyway, that's the thing with FI engine, there is one, then there is a better one. though i am not sure if this much power is necessary, will have such a tough time putting the power on the wheels from stop

but that's not the point mb is selling anyway, it's about pick up speed. this car should be able to compete with enzo on high end speed (provided that the cl65 stock is already comparable)

heck, 700hp crank and it's too much? how about all the supra and skyline with 700hp at the wheels? i dont' see people complaining
Old 12-23-04, 09:02 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

i'm just wondering would so many people be complaining if it was a 700HP SC?

Quick Reply: Is the regular 604 HP Mercedes Benz CL65 AMG not powerful enough for you?