Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti advertising, no shame, still sad and othe winter ads

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-04, 09:35 AM
LexFather

Default Infiniti advertising, no shame, still sad and othe winter ads

Well I've been watching more T.V recently and of course here are the holiday ads. The first ad I saw is the Infintii, I dunno, winter sale. And it was very obvious, they only had really 3 cars there, the G35, and 2 SUVS! The FX and QX. It does have both G35s, coupe and sedan, but thats the same model.
I did not see the Q45 at all, the I35 is gone and no current M45 in the ad. So Infiniti, still confusing the customer as they have basically 2 cars and 2 SUVs now? At least the good part is, I don't rememebr the last time I saw/remembered an Infintii ad.

Then later on, a local Infintii dealer, some dude and his wife, are screaming at the T.V (you know how car ads are). In a new low of luxury, they ADVERTISE a new G35 SEDAN for $197 a month!!!

That is right, $197 a month. I was in shock. Who the hell let these people advertise? Do they realize, that people have seen Pontiac G6 ads advertising the car for more? Infintii should really reel these ads in. Of course it had fine print, probably a lease with a bunch down but still, $197 a month?

I could not begin to imagine a Lexus, BMW, Benz ad from a dealer stating something so, stupid. I think the lowest I saw from another luxury car maker was $300 a month for a base 325 with seats and a steering wheel.

$197 a month. Shoot, time to get a G35 sedan, since its cheaper than a new Kia.

Positive ads. Jaguar, bless them, is trying through marketing. Their winter sales event ads are very catchy. One is the guy who gets surprised by his wife and faints (he got an X-type, though he might have fainted because he knows his mechanic will be on speed dial). Very clever. The other one I have seen is a man surprises his wife and there are yard elves in the background. The woman than kisses her husband emphatically and the elves in the yard close their eyes. Very clever.

Those Chevy ads. Got to give it to em. The cobalt/corvetter ads are awesome. There are 3 I think, my favorite is when the Cobolt is behind the Vette and a light and bumping the vetter, like move big brother. After the 3rd time, the Vetter floors it, turns around, turns on the HIDs and looks mean against the Cobalt. The voice then says something like "the new guy has to learn his place in the family". Very clever

Lexus has December to Remember, nothing special but nothing bad. No ES 330s or IS 300s going for $179 a month........I have seen those SUV ads, where they show the RX/LX/GX in the mall parking lot basically but then rugged enough to go off-road. Not bad, nothing great again. I can't wait for Lexus to rememeber they also sell cars.

Acura is advertising bunches. They insist they are reinventing luxury or creating sport sedan standards but all I get is they are loaded with computers. There is one RL ad that is clever. A guy is getting ready to go to work, watching the news and the traffic report is nuts. So they bascially advertise the real time NAV and SH-AWD. They show the RL taking a side road that is curvey (good job showing the curvey road) since the guy knows an alternative route now, while you see the freeway jam packed with traffic. Very good ad.
The new RSX ads are good, showing the car zipping around. Very good. The RSX is a very nible car. I did seee a Tl ad, durning a football game. Ghey. They show the car doing figure eights or trying to drift in I guess the Bonneville salt flats. For those that have/had FWD cars, not only do you feel pathetic trying to replicate something that looks sexy and incredible in a RWD car but it just plain looks

sad. Please, show us the NAV and DVD audio. Please.

Poor Audi, do they advertise? They have a pretty new lineup, if not basically all new except the TT and no ads.

Benz, I see the SLK ads, nothing memorable outside the fact they make the car look gorgous. I do remember saying to myself "great looking ride".

Old 12-24-04, 09:52 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

In the end, all that matters are Porsche Magazine ads, they are the best.
Old 12-24-04, 10:56 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The funniest car ad to me was a year or so ago. The V W ad where the dude just discovers some option where you push the key button and the windows go down or something. He brings his wife out to show her and as he looks up to see how she likes it, she's already closing the door and walking away like she couldn't care less. That is my wife exactly. Even she loves that comercial

Last edited by chuckb; 12-24-04 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-24-04, 12:46 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well I've been watching more T.V recently and of course here are the holiday ads. The first ad I saw is the Infintii, I dunno, winter sale. And it was very obvious, they only had really 3 cars there, the G35, and 2 SUVS! The FX and QX. It does have both G35s, coupe and sedan, but thats the same model.
I did not see the Q45 at all, the I35 is gone and no current M45 in the ad. So Infiniti, still confusing the customer as they have basically 2 cars and 2 SUVs now? At least the good part is, I don't rememebr the last time I saw/remembered an Infintii ad.

Then later on, a local Infintii dealer, some dude and his wife, are screaming at the T.V (you know how car ads are). In a new low of luxury, they ADVERTISE a new G35 SEDAN for $197 a month!!!

That is right, $197 a month. I was in shock. Who the hell let these people advertise? Do they realize, that people have seen Pontiac G6 ads advertising the car for more? Infintii should really reel these ads in. Of course it had fine print, probably a lease with a bunch down but still, $197 a month?

I could not begin to imagine a Lexus, BMW, Benz ad from a dealer stating something so, stupid. I think the lowest I saw from another luxury car maker was $300 a month for a base 325 with seats and a steering wheel.

$197 a month. Shoot, time to get a G35 sedan, since its cheaper than a new Kia.

Positive ads. Jaguar, bless them, is trying through marketing. Their winter sales event ads are very catchy. One is the guy who gets surprised by his wife and faints (he got an X-type, though he might have fainted because he knows his mechanic will be on speed dial). Very clever. The other one I have seen is a man surprises his wife and there are yard elves in the background. The woman than kisses her husband emphatically and the elves in the yard close their eyes. Very clever.

Those Chevy ads. Got to give it to em. The cobalt/corvetter ads are awesome. There are 3 I think, my favorite is when the Cobolt is behind the Vette and a light and bumping the vetter, like move big brother. After the 3rd time, the Vetter floors it, turns around, turns on the HIDs and looks mean against the Cobalt. The voice then says something like "the new guy has to learn his place in the family". Very clever

Lexus has December to Remember, nothing special but nothing bad. No ES 330s or IS 300s going for $179 a month........I have seen those SUV ads, where they show the RX/LX/GX in the mall parking lot basically but then rugged enough to go off-road. Not bad, nothing great again. I can't wait for Lexus to rememeber they also sell cars.

Acura is advertising bunches. They insist they are reinventing luxury or creating sport sedan standards but all I get is they are loaded with computers. There is one RL ad that is clever. A guy is getting ready to go to work, watching the news and the traffic report is nuts. So they bascially advertise the real time NAV and SH-AWD. They show the RL taking a side road that is curvey (good job showing the curvey road) since the guy knows an alternative route now, while you see the freeway jam packed with traffic. Very good ad.
The new RSX ads are good, showing the car zipping around. Very good. The RSX is a very nible car. I did seee a Tl ad, durning a football game. Ghey. They show the car doing figure eights or trying to drift in I guess the Bonneville salt flats. For those that have/had FWD cars, not only do you feel pathetic trying to replicate something that looks sexy and incredible in a RWD car but it just plain looks

sad. Please, show us the NAV and DVD audio. Please.

Poor Audi, do they advertise? They have a pretty new lineup, if not basically all new except the TT and no ads.

Benz, I see the SLK ads, nothing memorable outside the fact they make the car look gorgous. I do remember saying to myself "great looking ride".
Like you mentioned 1SICK, to get that price on a lease, it's probably with a suitcase full of cash. try & read the 'fine print' at the bottom of the screen lol.
Old 12-24-04, 02:57 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't care for the Lexus "December to Remember" ads this year; I thought they were really good a year ago and before.

I agree with you on the "elves Jaguar" ad; loved the ribbon around the emblem.

Infiniti/Nissan ads , I especially hate the SHIFT_ ads (BORING!?!)

I usually get a kick out of the VW commercials.

I think Honda had the best ads, back in the mid '90's, very simple, clean & impressive; particularly the '94 Accord's "fork in the road" and "as expected" campaigns.

Nowadays, Lexus is getting back on track with similar ads (LS "dimple" ads are very hot) and the RX "AFS lighting" ads are cool. The RX "German" ads are so-so.
Old 12-24-04, 03:41 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

It's Nissan in general...go figure.
Old 12-24-04, 05:39 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Positive ads. Jaguar, bless them, is trying through marketing. Their winter sales event ads are very catchy. One is the guy who gets surprised by his wife and faints (he got an X-type, though he might have fainted because he knows his mechanic will be on speed dial). Very clever.
HAHA!

Infiniti's ads have always been terrible.

If you want to see some great advertising - I've never seen them on TV - but the TV spots on Lexus' website for the 2005 ES330; terrific.

"The route to perfection is not on any map. It cannot be found in a road atlas. To get there, you set your speed at impossible, and never take your foot off the accelerator."

Most of Lexus' advertising has been pretty good.

M.

Last edited by whipimpin; 12-24-04 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-24-04, 06:38 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Whatever happend to Jonathan Pryce and the stupid clock commercials?
Old 12-24-04, 07:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Lexus, last year (I think), did a few 'passionate pursuit of perfection' and 'lifestyle' type of ads that were spectacular. Creative, inspired music, visually beautiful. Since then it's been .

The only other car ads I like are the rare Porsche ones.
Old 12-24-04, 07:38 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

i always loved the comercials toyota had a few years back for the celica with it parked and the dog is running barking at it and runs into the back of it and it says something like "the new celica, just looks fast" and the other one they did with the old man yelling. those were very funny and just about every one remembers them
Old 12-24-04, 07:53 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by soarer479
i always loved the comercials toyota had a few years back for the celica with it parked and the dog is running barking at it and runs into the back of it and it says something like "the new celica, just looks fast" and the other one they did with the old man yelling. those were very funny and just about every one remembers them

i love the one with cop giving tickect to the poster ad( of celica action package )on the truck.
"Look fast". i thought it was pretty funny too.
Old 12-24-04, 07:54 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

oh and i love the Tacoma ads! those are classic.

"are you tough enough to drive a tacoma" ad and girlfriend pushing his tacoma from the top of the hill.
Old 12-24-04, 08:38 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by soarer479
yah, those were funny-The one with the old man yelling at the car to slow down and calling it a punk as he walks by the parked car
Old 12-24-04, 08:40 PM
LexFather

I just saw the new VW ad. LAME. They make people look really stupid. What I got is, the people looking for a VW are dumb and it just takes a silly salesman, who looks equally sad, to sell them a car. Not sure what they were getting at with it. They barely showed the cars. More just expersionless faces of people. What a waste of 30 seconds.

Old 12-27-04, 04:31 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I've got to agree with your assessments, Mike. I thought the same thing about the latest GM "Red Tag" ads--they make their customers look like idiots ("Hey, I'm too cheap to take my kid to the mall Santa and he's too stupid to know that you're a price tag and not jolly old Saint Nick!"). I've seen a couple of Benz ads that are total rip-offs of the Lexus December to Remember--apparently they are trying to take back some of those end-of-year sales.

The one where I disagree is the Chevy Cobalt/Corvette ads; I think they fall flat. They're very obviously trying to use the prestige and glamour of their only remotely desirable product to attempt to drag up their newest lackluster offering. I bet there will be a lot of disappointed teenagers when they get to the Chevy lot and see that the Cobalt ad deluded them into thinking that car looks and performs like the 'Vette...

Quick Reply: Infiniti advertising, no shame, still sad and othe winter ads