Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 525 base MSRP, $39,900=$216.30 per HP. The most expensive sedan/least power

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-04, 06:45 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mmarshall, I'm not sure if you are aware or just didn't post this information, but the 280ps (276 hp) agreement has been dumped by Japan with the introduction of the new Acura RL. If none of you have heard yet, read it here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

James
Old 12-29-04, 08:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jet864
Mmarshall, I'm not sure if you are aware or just didn't post this information, but the 280ps (276 hp) agreement has been dumped by Japan with the introduction of the new Acura RL. If[/URL]

James
Yes, Jim...I know it is no longer formally in effect. I just mentioned it because it existed, at least on paper. In many ways it was a joke....as exhibited by the fact that Japanese manufacturers for years, in spite of the standard pumped out cars like the 320 HP twin-turbo Supra, the 300 HP twin-turbo 300ZX, and the 320 HP twin-turbo Stealths / Mitsubushi 3000 GT VR-4. Sometimes they didn't sell these powerful cars in the Japanese market, or or sometimes they did and just downplayed HP / torque figures that they knew violated the standard. That was also done in this country in the late 60's with muscle cars to keep down insurance rates.

All that the dumping of that " agreement " means is that we're probably going to see more honest power ratings now. And it really doesn't change the context that I was using it in....mainly, that, formal agreement or not, there aren't many places you can really use 276 or more HP in Japan. The country has a huge population, little land area, and a comparably sparse road network that is grossly overcrowded. What they are going to end up doing is building 300 HP machines that sit in gridlock.

Incedentially......I'm with you on Car and Driver. It is an excellent magazine.....clearly the best, IMO, of the auto-enthusiast publications. As you may remember from my auto-mag thread, I read it cover-to-cover each month.....and look forward to each issue.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-29-04 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-29-04, 09:17 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wantAnewLex
Umm, I do believe it would be difficult to find a manual enthusiast who would excuse the lack of a clutch (read: SMG, DSG, et. al.).
(But only in my daily. I'd still want a real manual for my weekend car...)
Old 12-30-04, 06:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
(But only in my daily. I'd still want a real manual for my weekend car...)
Yes...this is a good solution for those who want two vehicles and can afford them......a daily commuter car with an automatic (or a winter car like in the Snow belt) and a fair-weather and weekend fun car with the stick.

Like I said though, real manual transmissions are far from dead. They are still offered on many vehicles.

As far as sticks on the new BMW's though, ( the thread topic) you guys know my position.......I don't like any of the Chris Bangle BMW's, for other reasons, no matter what tranny they bolt on.
IMO, they are shoddily built.