Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 525 base MSRP, $39,900=$216.30 per HP. The most expensive sedan/least power

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-04, 06:32 PM
LexFather

Default BMW 525 base MSRP, $39,900=$216.30 per HP. The most expensive sedan/least power

I was reading the new Bimmer mag I bought and sadly, it seems they are less than thrilled with how things are going. They seem to think the new cars replace the previous model larger gen cars, instead of being direct replacements. For example, they see the new 5 as a replacement for the old 7, not the new 5.
Anwyway, this BMW 525 is the worst example of price per hp. Only the Honda Civic Hybrid is worse at $222 for each HP. Among luxury cars, the bast CTS costs $116 per HP but for $29,702 you get 255hp.
They state the active suspension is simply wonderful but it takes away from it being a BMW. It just feels artificial.

They name competitiors and their ONLY reasoning for buying the 525 is "its a 5 series" and it has room and luxury (which I find odd as the bashed the I-drive and interior) and it can be had with 6 speeds.

With the new GS/M coming the 5 is done. Period. How can perfection be destroyed so quickly is simply incredible.

Old 12-27-04, 07:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man that's sad.... and ironically, you see a lot of new 525 on the street still... people buy it coz' it's a bimmer 5 series and they think they have the whole world
Old 12-27-04, 07:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I looked at several new 5-series today at the Washington, D.C Auto show. Even aside from issues like HP / torque per dollar, they are all a big drop from the last-generation 5-series in both quality and design. Even some of the BMW reps themselves there, while they won't say it out loud in public when there is a crowd gathered around the cars, admit privately when you are alone with them that the new 7 and 5-series were both mistakes. (They at least did with me).
Old 12-27-04, 08:10 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that issue gets fixed next year with the new 3.0 six coming (yes, the 525 will have a detuned 3.0 six cyl making approx 220). Even so, BMWs are known for being quick for their stated hp.

Regarding size, all cars are getting bigger - i.e. the Civic is now the size of the old Accord, etc.

Personally, I'm going to look at the 5 series in 2006 when the lease on the GS is up. The Interior is terrible, but I'm wondering if the driving dynamics might make up for it? The new M45 looks VERY nice as well. Personally, I'm wondering how the new GS will do if they raise the sticker like I think they will.
Old 12-27-04, 08:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doug_999
I think that issue gets fixed next year with the new 3.0 six coming (yes, the 525 will have a detuned 3.0 six cyl making approx 220). Even so, BMWs are known for being quick for their stated hp.

Regarding size, all cars are getting bigger - i.e. the Civic is now the size of the old Accord, etc.

Personally, I'm going to look at the 5 series in 2006 when the lease on the GS is up. The Interior is terrible, but I'm wondering if the driving dynamics might make up for it? The new M45 looks VERY nice as well. Personally, I'm wondering how the new GS will do if they raise the sticker like I think they will.
Glad to hear the 525 is getting bumped. I know about hte new 3.0 making 250hp and change. The reviews say the new 5s handle like BMWs are supposed to. And they do offer manuals. I am still shocked no M35 manual is coming.
Funny but the 545 offers a manual and active rollbars. The m5 offers SMG and no active rollbars.

Old 12-27-04, 10:13 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

i think it will be pretty hard to find a 525i with the sticker price under 45K in the lot these days. paying 50K for 184hps is pretty lame these day but i see a lot of people buying 525i just for the name?
Old 12-27-04, 10:22 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DC52E55
i think it will be pretty hard to find a 525i with the sticker price under 45K in the lot these days. paying 50K for 184hps is pretty lame these day but i see a lot of people buying 525i just for the name?
Honestly, if you don't get a manual, you are basically buying this car for name recognition. Which is cool, I fully understand that. Not for near 50k though. Dare I see, the RL is at 50k and that is overall a better value than the 525 at the same price.

I do admit, the BMW badge still holds a certain panache and value, even in Bagled cars.

Old 12-27-04, 11:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Honestly, if you don't get a manual, you are basically buying this car for name recognition. Which is cool, I fully understand that. Not for near 50k though. Dare I see, the RL is at 50k and that is overall a better value than the 525 at the same price.

I do admit, the BMW badge still holds a certain panache and value, even in Bagled cars.
yeah, basically bmw is really living quite a bit on its name right. give a new brand and come out with cars like this, see who is going to buy it. no one. the 525 in particular is still selling coz' people KNOW it's bmw... what they don't know is that they just spent a lot more money for less..... 525, that's a joke man....
Old 12-28-04, 12:02 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Some of the 525 info is a bit off. The new 525 will still have a 2.5L I6, there's been a few typos in car rags and writeups recently. It will have around 210HP so that $/HP will get a bit better - but as sick mentioned without the 6MT it's not really anything to write home about. Even in previous incarnations the 5 or 7 series $/HP was the last thing anyone cared about. The MB $/HP figure is not better but the E class is still the best seller.
Old 12-28-04, 05:14 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry, but this is one of the lamest basis for bashing I've seen in a while. I'm not saying the 525i is worth its asking price--it isn't--but IMO it's just plain stupid to bash a car based on its hp/cost ratio. I mean, it's almost as pointless as saying a car is a better buy than another because of its lower dollar-per-pound ratio. This is not grocery shopping. There are just so many more factors including the intangibles that determine the fair price of a car.
Old 12-28-04, 05:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
I'm sorry, but this is one of the lamest basis for bashing I've seen in a while. I'm not saying the 525i is worth its asking price--it isn't--but IMO it's just plain stupid to bash a car based on its hp/cost ratio. I mean, it's almost as pointless as saying a car is a better buy than another because of its lower dollar-per-pound ratio. This is not grocery shopping. There are just so many more factors including the intangibles that determine the fair price of a car.
Hey, I was surprised to even find this 1 page article in a BMW magazine. But I think I will continue to buy, since this shows a lot of objectiveness.

Old 12-28-04, 05:37 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Call me weird ("OK, you're weird!"), but if I were looking for a $50K sedan, I would actually give long and hard thought to a loaded 6MT 525.
Old 12-28-04, 08:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wantAnewLex
Call me weird ("OK, you're weird!"), but if I were looking for a $50K sedan, I would actually give long and hard thought to a loaded 6MT 525.
For 50K, you would choose a Chris Bangle 525 over a GS430 ?

You sure got me stumped on that one.
Old 12-28-04, 08:16 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

I'm guessing the deciding factor in his decision was the requisite manual transmission. Something the GS hasn't and probably never will offer.

James
Old 12-28-04, 08:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jet864
I'm guessing the deciding factor in his decision was the requisite manual transmission. Something the GS hasn't and probably never will offer.

James
Yes.....Point well taken. I should have remembered that. Yes, BMW does still offer traditional manuals, but lately they have been pushing the SMT's...Sequential Manual Transmissions with automatic clutches and paddle-shifts. From what I understand, BMW's plans are to soon do away with traditional manuals and replace them all with SMT's.....and possibly a twin-clutch BMW version of Audi's DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox).

Quick Reply: BMW 525 base MSRP, $39,900=$216.30 per HP. The most expensive sedan/least power