Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

best looking rims for a 745i?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-04, 09:31 AM
Dr.G
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this 745 was at NOPI this past summer and was just plain sick!! I'm not a big fan of "bling" but these wheels seen in person on this 745 really set it off!

Last edited by Dr.G; 12-29-04 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-29-04, 11:45 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

D, about rotating directional tires, is it okay to break the wheel down and swap tires from side to side as long as the direction is correct? This way if you have negative camber the inside part of the tire that is wearing down now becomes the outside part of the tire? I was told by my local alignment/tire shop not to do this as the tires wont ride right thus causing shaking of the car. Any thoughts on this?
Old 12-29-04, 11:51 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
D, about rotating directional tires, is it okay to break the wheel down and swap tires from side to side as long as the direction is correct? This way if you have negative camber the inside part of the tire that is wearing down now becomes the outside part of the tire? I was told by my local alignment/tire shop not to do this as the tires wont ride right thus causing shaking of the car. Any thoughts on this?
i do it all the time. it's pefectly fine.
Old 12-29-04, 12:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

you can do that AS LONG AS the shop has the right tool and they know what they are doing. these are low profile tires, you can easily damage the side wall if handled incorrectly
Old 12-29-04, 01:31 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

As AutoCouture and Rominl said, as long as the equipment used is correct spec then it is fine to "flip" tires. I too have done this on my personal vehicles in the past as well.
Old 12-29-04, 08:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Man there's some seriously ugly rims in this thread! And some even uglier body kits!
Old 12-30-04, 06:36 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
you can do that AS LONG AS the shop has the right tool and they know what they are doing. these are low profile tires, you can easily damage the side wall if handled incorrectly
Are these tools the same tools they would use to install the tire when it is brand new? Also by doing this would this increase the life of the tire since the inside part that is wearing down quickly now becomes the outside? Do you guys do it with every set of tires you have to increase their life? Also when would be a good time to do the switch, like when the inner tread has worn down 50%?
Old 12-30-04, 08:21 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Are these tools the same tools they would use to install the tire when it is brand new? Also by doing this would this increase the life of the tire since the inside part that is wearing down quickly now becomes the outside? Do you guys do it with every set of tires you have to increase their life? Also when would be a good time to do the switch, like when the inner tread has worn down 50%?

Yes to all of your questions!
Old 12-30-04, 09:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

just to add more info, it's not only the machine, but it also has to do with the installer, how experienced and how skilled he/she is. they need to know how to pull, pry, to make the tire come out without damaging it. and of course, not to scratch the rims

about when to change, changing it at 50% is ok, but probably i would do it say every 10k miles. it's just like rotating tires, you rotate it regularly, not when stuff are half way
Old 12-30-04, 09:19 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

about when to change, changing it at 50% is ok, but probably i would do it say every 10k miles. it's just like rotating tires, you rotate it regularly, not when stuff are half way
Good point Rom, I missed that part!
Old 12-30-04, 02:14 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

just to add more info, it's not only the machine, but it also has to do with the installer, how experienced and how skilled he/she is. they need to know how to pull, pry, to make the tire come out without damaging it. and of course, not to scratch the rims

Thanks for the help. I have an installer that i have been taking my Lexus to for 2 yrs now and my durango to for about 5 yrs now. He is very careful and has never given me a problem. I am going to start rotating the tires from side to side now so that I get more than 17k miles out of them. I personally like toyo because of the price and quality but is there a cheaper tire out there that is better? Also on the treadwear rating the lower the number the better the treadwear right? Thanks for all the knowledgeable help Rom and D
Old 12-30-04, 02:17 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I personally like toyo because of the price and quality but is there a cheaper tire out there that is better? Also on the treadwear rating the lower the number the better the treadwear right? Thanks for all the knowledgeable help Rom and D
Nitto 555 is pretty affordable and durable, not the quietest, but not too loud either. Lower treadwear = shorter life, usually lower treadwear indicates softer compound, better handling.
Old 12-30-04, 02:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Thanks for the help. I have an installer that i have been taking my Lexus to for 2 yrs now and my durango to for about 5 yrs now. He is very careful and has never given me a problem. I am going to start rotating the tires from side to side now so that I get more than 17k miles out of them. I personally like toyo because of the price and quality but is there a cheaper tire out there that is better? Also on the treadwear rating the lower the number the better the treadwear right? Thanks for all the knowledgeable help Rom and D
hehe i think it's the other way, lower treadwear means it has shorter life?

for tires, like d said, nitto is very very cost effective, though it's not max performance tires. but if you don't really care too much about performance, i think they are excellent. the pricing for the pzero nero (what i have) is pretty close to that of the toyo t1s, they are both great stuff
Old 12-31-04, 07:22 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

oh ok thanks for the help. I will have my tires rotated from side to side next when I have my oil change. Should I keep them in the same place, like just rotated them from side to side but leave the tires that are in the back and leave the tires that are in the front? Oh yeah I am running 20 x 8.5 all around I know I know I will hopefully be hitting D up soon from some nice IForged mesh wheels. Hopefully the new ones he reveals will be nice. Thanks for the help

RIch
Old 12-31-04, 10:21 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow good thread i really like the 745 i liked all the rims in those pics iam considering owning a 745 after the lex

Quick Reply: best looking rims for a 745i?